Cartridge case collections?

Take him to West London Shooting School.

The pile of cartridges there goes back to the thirties.

Someone told me there are estimated to be over 1,000,000 in the pile.

I also heard it is the Biggest in Europe ,possibly the world.

I bet the cartridges at the bottom would be interesting.

You can see a picture of it on their web site.

Edited by bakerboy

Yes, pretty big and growing.

But very neat and tidy and always a talking point, I wonder just how many there really are, is 1,000,000 an understatement?

Someone above mentioned it has been there since the 30's!

Lets look at some simple maths, 20 people a day shooting 50 carts each=1000 cases a day, 360,000 a year roughly, so the 1,000,000 figure comes up in less than 3 years.

I don't know as I've never been there, perhaps someone who knows the site usage there better than me can throw something in here, but my guess would be way over 1,000,000. :good:

Indeed - they appear to be open 6 days a week, and if you read the history section of the website, they say it was open all through WW2 too.

I would say 1000 per day is very conservative - but if we use that as a rough average per day over the past 80 years the place has been open, and say 200 days open a year (being conservative taking into account rainy days etc). 200,000*200*80 = 16,000,000

Very rough back of the envelope calculation - but seeing the pile - it sits on a piece of land 2-3 times larger than the two semi-detached houses right below it!

• 4 weeks later...

Someone above mentioned it has been there since the 30's!

Lets look at some simple maths, 20 people a day shooting 50 carts each=1000 cases a day, 360,000 a year roughly, so the 1,000,000 figure comes up in less than 3 years.

I don't know as I've never been there, perhaps someone who knows the site usage there better than me can throw something in here, but my guess would be way over 1,000,000. :good:

I was coaching at West London today, and I asked the question of how many.

Below the pile we can see is a pit.

West London Shooting School estimate there to be over 700,000,000 spent cartridges, Seven Hundred Million just in case you thought I had placed a comma or Zero in the wrong place.

This I think equates to 2500 per day, and judging on what I see when I work there it is very possible.

Got a reply back from West London and Holland and Holland. They are both sending some to Archie which was unexpected

Nice people, he'll be chuffed to bits.

And thanks to Poontang for the reply too.

Glad you and your son were sorted out

Edited by bakerboy