My dog attacked by another today whilst on public footpath.

MattSoanes

This is obvioulsly a terrible incident, but I have owned a Staff myself. Don't blame the dog, 9 times out of 10 I believe it's some chavs buying a certain type of dog to train to attack and make them look hard, I feel sorry for all the negative press they get. They are just increasing in numbers all over due to the mentallity of idiots.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is obvioulsly a terrible incident, but I have owned a Staff myself. Don't blame the dog, 9 times out of 10 I believe it's some chavs buying a certain type of dog to train to attack and make them look hard, I feel sorry for all the negative press they get. They are just increasing in numbers all over due to the mentallity of idiots.

Too true. Well put

no point kicking the dog, kick the owner they may learn in future.

I don't think kicking the female owner would go down too well, and kicking the dog was my only option.

I took Bess back to the same place today, at 6.30am I must add as I knew offending dog and owner would still be tucked up.

She didn't leave my side as we walked round.

Had this myself twice with next door but one. I to have got a staff but not one of these big mixed breeds she is a small but stocky staff soft as anything takes all the **** from the other dogs.

They would always leave there door wide open and when walking past saw there pit bull type staff running up the garden, I tried to shut the gate but couldn't get it shut in time.

Next thing bang there dog had grabbed my dogs neck and was shacking it round like a rag doll, I tried everything. Booting punching the thing would not let go they came running out and was pulling there dog off so I thought il pull its mouth open I managed to get my fingers in and pulled apart as hard as I could and it just comped down more and boy did it hurt.

Luckily it let go in the end and left my dog with a 3" hole in her neck.

About a month after the same thing happend this time was with the missis and I was carrying a 25kg bag of potatoes, I threw the tats at it to stop it coming but didn't stop it and bang it was locked on again.

This time my dog just sat there as if it knew what was coming and waited for it let go. This time next door came running over with a garden spade It took to good bangs on the head before it let go.

After that the dog was put to sleep but still don't think it was its fault but was that of the owners

So sorry to hear about the attack on your dog, I hope that she is ok and there is no long term problems with her.

Personally if that had happened to my Cocker when we were out walking / training I would have dealt with the aggressive dog in any way that I could, even if that meant me imparting serious injuries to that animal, I would do absolutely anything to protect her, then I would go and have a quiet "word" with the owners.

So far everyone we have met when out walking have had very well behaved dogs, but I know one day we will meet the one (chav / chavette) who has the obligatory type of hard dog that has had no training at all.

We had a story like this in our village news letter! Staffy type dog came running out of the woods near a footpath and attacked a walkers dog!

No muzzle this time though and I don't think the dog made it! No owners either! The dog just made its way back to the woods! After snarling at the walkers for a bit!

We have a very large crossbred mastiff and he is typical mastiff, any sign of aggression towards him and he's never going to give up. That is why we always have him on a lead when he is walked in public.

However, should that not also apply to the person who takes his labrador pack out for a walk ? Once walking a ridgeback when it was attacked, on the lead by 2 labs. I just let him off and that was that, 2 very repentant labradors slinking off.

I very much hope your dog is well and will make a full recovery but perhaps you too might think of walking her on a lead in a public place unless you are sure there are no other dogs about?

Not wishing to pick a fight but if we all did that, nobodys dog would be injured or worse.

Buy a spikey collar for your dog, I'm sure it wouldn't clamp down on that. I'm pretty 50/50 on the "hard man" types of breads. I think it's luck of the draw wether the dog follows instinct or training in situations like this. The simple answer is not to have a dog with these instincts. Or another option is buy a bear, train it up and when these breads attack it (which some were bread to do) just tell the owners, oh it doesn't normally rip dogs to pieces, it's great with the kids.

Just another idea, do you think you could train one to retrieve and flush etc?

Took my working cocker (Bess) out for a lunchtime stroll today on one of are regular walks, all was going well until we came to the dog legged part of the field when out of nowhere a very large muzzled Staffordshire bull terrier crossed with what I believe, after looking at pictures on the net this evening bullmastiff came charging out of the woodland that runs alongside the field. This is not a sight I want to see again anytime soon!! This dog had one thing on its mind and that was too hurt Bess, it began chasing her, she had no chance to get away, it rolled her over and was ramming its head into her side and stomach, she managed to get up only for it to trip her up and do the same again, poor little girl was crying out and in obvious distress,whilst all this happening I was weighing up my best options how I was going to stop this whilst shouting some choice words at the dog and then at the 5ft nothing 20year old women who had appeared from around the corner.

I made my decision and having not many other options kicked the dog as hard as I could in the ribs ( I'm a fairly big lad, 6' 16st) this thank god done trick and like a switch had been flicked it laid down and stopped the attack. If it hadn't of done this I don't know what the outcome would of been.

I threw a few more Fs into the women and told her that she should be keeping her dog on a lead, her answer was " she's in season" well even more of a reason to keep it on a lead then you.............. Fill in the blank. This dog must of had previous and that's why it was wearing a muzzle, so to have it running loose is just asking for trouble IMO.

Bess had in this time run half way back to the truck. When I got to where she was I made sure I gave her plenty of fuss and reassurance as don't want her to be afraid of other dogs obviously.

Although the dog owners responsibility could be brought into question I cannot condone kicking a muzzled dog. Big lad are you? very brave also I see just what could it have done to harm you in return while muzzled? why not just grab hold? You committed an offence, she was just stupid

We have a very large crossbred mastiff and he is typical mastiff, any sign of aggression towards him and he's never going to give up. That is why we always have him on a lead when he is walked in public.

However, should that not also apply to the person who takes his labrador pack out for a walk ? Once walking a ridgeback when it was attacked, on the lead by 2 labs. I just let him off and that was that, 2 very repentant labradors slinking off.

I very much hope your dog is well and will make a full recovery but perhaps you too might think of walking her on a lead in a public place unless you are sure there are no other dogs about?

Not wishing to pick a fight but if we all did that, nobodys dog would be injured or worse.

True enough

You must inform the police, if you don`t it might be a child next and it will be a FIRST OFFENCE. Not So:

Muzzled or not. A word from the Police in the ear will make her keep it under PROPER control..

Do you think that

a ) The police will actually be bothered enough to follow it up?

b ) They will pay any attention to the police?

I believe that there's something about the way spanners and especially cockers move that triggers the prey drive in dogs even my lab can't take his eyes of them.

Its all down to the owner and not the dog, I know certain breeds have a bad reputation but it's unfounded. You are no more likely to be bitten by a staffy than a labrador. Granted a staffy might have a stronger bite but if you got bitten by my labrador you would know about it, he has an incredablly powerful set of jaws on him. Most dog owners are clueless morons and shouldn't be allowed a dog, they have no knowledge of dogs, have made no effort to learn and blissfully wander around while their mutts cause havok. They should be on lead unless they can recall the dog as well. So I only go to the local park to work on recall around distractions, other than that I drive a few miles out and stay away from the usual hotspots.

I was nearly blinded at the age of 5 by a vicious Labrador. It was being neglected by it's owners, fed by some interfering old baggage in the sheltered housing complex where my grandmother lived, I got bitten right across the nose and came within a 16th of an inch of being blinded, according to the RAF surgeon that sewed the wounds up (this was in 1974)!

The village policeman went round to talk to the owners and the dog bit him on the way in. It was unceremoniously hauled off to the vets and destroyed!

I was not allowed to become afraid of dogs and I now own a completely pudding headed gundog black Labrador who has trained me to his satisfaction!

Edited by secretagentmole

Although the dog owners responsibility could be brought into question I cannot condone kicking a muzzled dog. Big lad are you? very brave also I see just what could it have done to harm you in return while muzzled? why not just grab hold? You committed an offence, she was just stupid

True enough

His dog seems to of been in danger of suffering serious injury, I don't think is actions were unjustified he did enough to stop the incident then stopped, I don't claim to be a legal expert but i'm sure a good solicitor would call that reasonable force & i'm not sure he committed an offence.

before you reply please note my tone was neither rude or aggressive just my thoughts

Easy to say but in the heat of the moment how many of us will step back for a second to assess the situation.

Although the dog owners responsibility could be brought into question I cannot condone kicking a muzzled dog. Big lad are you? very brave also I see just what could it have done to harm you in return while muzzled? why not just grab hold? You committed an offence, she was just stupidTrue enough

Big enough matey.

Grab hold of it and what? Tell it not to be a naughty dog and go back to its unresponsible owner.

Get in the real world, a dog probably 4 x the weight of my attacking my beloved Bess, size 10 all the way.

If it had happened on one of my perms when I was out it would of been a lot worse.

The woman should have had her dog on a lead - not sure if the OP's dog was on one either - it doesn't sound like it. If that was the case - both were less than sensible.

OP could have picked his own dog up - the other dog was muzzled - so not much of a danger to the OP.

He is fortunate that the woman has not made a complaint to the Police. Had someone spoken to my wife in that manner, I would have made the report myself.

Edited by Gordon R

Staffies are a problem everywhere.

Not dogs fault I know, but the constant excusing of their aggressive behaviour is getting tiring.

Gordon R, I assume not Ramsey otherwise I think your wife would get far more swearing at your own hands LOL

It is time to bring in restrictions on staff breeding, not because they are bad dogs but because they are being bred out of all proportion and huge amounts find themselves in rehome due to bad ownership.

No need to ban, and I realise you can't legislate for an owner being a ****, but something has to be done before the breed gets banned altogether which would be a shame.

Yeah I'll pick my dog and have some giant dog leaping up at me to get her.... Actually I could of probably ran away carrying bess, why didn't i think of that???

Another one who needs to get in the real world. I didn't take the time to exchange names and addresses with her I was too busy running after my dog that and just been attacked,so making a complaint to police is pretty pointless, " excuse me officer, a bloke just kicked my dog for attacking his" and too be honest I couldn't give a monkeys if she did.

Trust me, she wasn't marriage material.

Edited by MattSoanes

Thanks for the advice to get in the real world. In the real world you would be talking to the Police.

Her report wouldn't be about kicking her dog, it would be about the foul mouthed abuse, which you seem proud of.

If your dog wasn't on a lead - as it should have been - perhaps you don't have far to look for someone to blame, rather than making smart remarks.

Thanks for the advice to get in the real world. In the real world you would be talking to the Police.

Her report wouldn't be about kicking her dog, it would be about the foul mouthed abuse, which you seem proud of.

If your dog wasn't on a lead - as it should have been - perhaps you don't have far to look for someone to blame, rather than making smart remarks.

Can't find a smiley for it so....YAWN

Dog not out of control attacked by dog out of control, words exchanged, fair enough.

The defence rests m'lud

Gordon, you are talking out your ***** I'm afraid

955i - You would be the expert, then.

No, but the trauma experienced by a timid and unaggressive dog in an attack would be the same whether the dog was muzzled or not, the only difference being that the dog survived because the attacker was muzzled.

The woman is at fault as she clearly knows her dog will go for others and is powerful enough to overwhelm many other breeds.

It should have been muzzled AND on a lead, simple as and then the incident would never have occurred.

955i - can we call a halt to smart remarks?

Serious point - you have jumped to the conclusion that the woman knows her dog will attack. I have had some GSDs and Akitas muzzled - none of which had ever attacked another dog.

You also say:-

words exchanged, fair enough.

The defence rests m'lud

I don't recall the woman resorting to abuse. The prosecution rests.

What smart remarks?

Yes, we can assume that the owner knew the dog would be aggressive, she muzzled it.

You claim to have had dogs that you muzzled even though they weren't aggressive, why would you do that?

I would give a gobfull to anyone who's dogs attacked mine muzzled or not

Had this myself twice with next door but one. I to have got a staff but not one of these big mixed breeds she is a small but stocky staff soft as anything takes all the **** from the other dogs.

They would always leave there door wide open and when walking past saw there pit bull type staff running up the garden, I tried to shut the gate but couldn't get it shut in time.

Next thing bang there dog had grabbed my dogs neck and was shacking it round like a rag doll, I tried everything. Booting punching the thing would not let go they came running out and was pulling there dog off so I thought il pull its mouth open I managed to get my fingers in and pulled apart as hard as I could and it just comped down more and boy did it hurt.

Luckily it let go in the end and left my dog with a 3" hole in her neck.

About a month after the same thing happend this time was with the missis and I was carrying a 25kg bag of potatoes, I threw the tats at it to stop it coming but didn't stop it and bang it was locked on again.

This time my dog just sat there as if it knew what was coming and waited for it let go. This time next door came running over with a garden spade It took to good bangs on the head before it let go.

After that the dog was put to sleep but still don't think it was its fault but was that of the owners

You need a breaking/parting stick for this. Have a look on youtube for how to use it properly. Much more effective than anything else including a shovel.