Franchi AL48 HUNTER

Longbower

Good older solid weapon. Works on recoil rather than gas blowback. On firing both the barrel & bolt which are locked together recoil to a point of unlocking when the barrel is pushed forward to position by a coil spring around the mag tube. The bolt carries on back ejecting the spent cartridge then it comes forward stripping a new cartridge off of the elevator into the breach. This all happens in the blink of an eye. The feeling of firing the gun is a bit different to a gas-operated unit where just the bolt shuttles. Not better or worse just a bit different. The recoil effect can be adjusted by a couple of crush / drag collars on the mag tube slide for heavy or lighter recoiling loads. Have a go with one in comparison to a gas auto and you’ll see what I mean.

A friend has had his for over 35yrs without any problem at all ( not much to go wrong) and has shot tons of stuff with it. it is a five shot and he has it on his part one firearm cert. it's good for driven fox, rabbits out of the back of a vehicle and all sort of pigeon shooting. the only thng that I dont like about it is the safety is a side slide button in the trigger guard.

Edited by fortune

The kick for me was only noticeable at first try.I got used to it and it just felt no diff from any other gun.The only problem is that if the gun isn't shouldered right its the when you will feel the kick.[ reg smaller loads the lowest I used was 28g with no prob,but main carts where 32g never had a jam.But like all autos they need to be kept clean.

I don’t understand why so many times I read “It kicked like a mule”. If recoil is kicking the user then they haven’t got the gun held and shouldered correctly. I think that it could be possible that these users are say right handed but are shooting with a dominant left eye. I’ve come across this several times now with the shooter not being to hit didly squat or ending up with a bruised shoulder and a swelling to the jaw.

Yes..not only do you get the shells recoil you next get the barrel and bolt bottoming out in the reciever. A double whammy if you like.! No oil on them mag tubes fellers.

U.

From memory the cones have to be adjusted on the front lug /mag tube to control and match various loads

From memory the cones have to be adjusted on the front lug /mag tube to control and match various loads

kind of right...the bronze bush is beveled. This part acts as the brake.

A steel bush pushes on the bronze. Only one side of the steel bush is beveled. The bevel on the steel bush foces the bronze to grip the magtube more for heavier loads. Turn the steel bush around so a flat face butts upto the bronze bush fo lighter loads. No lube.

Simples.

And yeah. Fit with a shotgun is everything.

U.