Advice welcome on pattern

fixed at half choke. It was full and full but was open out. I think in 39 grams of number 2, there is a around 150. ... 70 hit the paper, so 50 %.

I'm not sure that pattern is really good enough for ducks or geese. It looks a bit thin on the paper. What speeds do you think the loads are running at?

you want to be looking at 90/100 hits for duck and you are well short of that number I would look at a wad or powder change maybe as your gun is fixed choke there are 170 pellets in 39 grams 2# so you have lost 100 by the time you have got to 45 yards most 10g guns should do 75 to 90% . how does it pattern with lettered shot ie B# to T# and what load data are you using

LoL:

Of course it is, silly,, When developing loads many years ago for larger size pellets thats what we used..

Just get a slower burning powder, ask where you buy it from, there are not miles between these powders, few hundred yards maybe..

Do your home work first, you just don`t shove any old powder or load down its throat, try some of the NEWER loading books..

you cannot just bang some thing out of your head into the cartridge.. Learn a little about pressures these powders produce and of course what load you are going to use..

• 1 month later...

That pattern looks worse than the 1/4 choke pattern thrown from the right barrel of my 10. I use No.3 shot (3.25mm steel) in the 1/4 choke barrel. This will give 264 pellets in 1 3/8oz and should help to fill the gaps but a 33% pattern but will still only give 88 pellets in 30'' circle. At 40yds you could even go down to No.4 (3mm steel , 334 pellets in 1 3/8oz) and have sufficient energy for a clean kill at that range.

I assume there is a reason you're using 1 3/8oz? Chamber length, proof etc? If you've got 3 1/2'' chamber and 1050 proof. No reason you can't use 1 1/2 or 1 5/8oz loads.

Im using 1 3/8 as its for ducks and with the light load can keep the speeds up. This is the latest patten. Again 45yds but change of wad and powder. I shot a very high mallard last weekend and it was stone dead.

attachicon.gifrsz_006_2.jpg

attachicon.gifrsz_duck.jpg

Out of curiosity, did you just change the wad and powder from published data, or was this a completely different recipe?

I use 1 1/2oz loads of steel at a quoted velocity of 1550fps.