Walking to heel

palo

Hello all, I have a seven month old springer which I have had since a pup he is coming on well stops when told or whistle will come back when told but when it comes to walking to heel he will have none of it and I feel he is getting older and thinks that he does not have to any tips or suggestions would be welcome also this pup is very big and strong for his age and has serious strength Thanks again.

Palo.

I had the same problem !!!!! My bitch is big and strong too, she pulled like a bas!?ed. Simple solution is get a stick (I use a bamboo cane) when he pulls, smack him on the nose with it. You don't have to knock him out, just a lite tap on the nose and that will sort it. My dog got a tap on the nose 2-3 times and now she walks to heel on and off the lead :) but as said BE GENTLE !! Just a small tap, enough for him to understand, your not trying to hurt him.

Edited by rimmie

I had the same problem !!!!! My bitch is big and strong too, she pulled like a bas!?ed. Simple solution is get a stick (I use a bamboo cane) when he pulls, smack him on the nose with it. You don't have to knock him out, just a lite tap on the nose and that will sort it. My dog got a tap on the nose 2-3 times and now she walks to heel on and off the lead :) but as said BE GENTLE !! Just a small tap, enough for him to understand, your not trying to hurt him.

It's the trainer that's a fault not the dog you both have not done the lead work first and got the dog steady on the lead and done the advance training instead you need to go back to the start and work on lead work and don't smack the dog with a stick

But stopping "sledge pulling" which is part of heel work is high priority.

Put it another way then, I wouldn't be putting a 7 month old spaniel on a lead. All I'd want it doing is coming when I tell it, generally following me about / heading in the same direction I am, getting it hunting in an uninhibited fashion & picking anything I throw it to retrieve.

Important bit is this going to be a real working spaniel used to hunt up game within gunshot? if it is I shouldn't bother much at all about good heelwork on a lead, seriously strong? a 7mth spanner I find that difficult to comprehend. Heelwork will come but shouldn't be overdone in a hunting breed, just so long as you can get them across a road etc.

If we are talking normal family / pet dog then do the square bashing thing, its well covered in all the books. buy a good slip lead, fit it the correct way round (a lot don't) and use redirection (sharp unexpected turns) with sharp but not overly harsh correction till it learns to pay attention to were you are going not were it thinks you should.

Get a tube of primula cheese, hold it in your left hand at waist height or lower where the pup can smell it, walk along and the pup will be walking along next to you trying to lick at it. Let it do this every so often and say 'heel' as you do.

Primula cheese, otherwise known as puppy crack. I'd never have thought of this but they used it at our training classes and they pups go mad for it.

Get a tube of primula cheese, hold it in your left hand at waist height or lower where the pup can smell it, walk along and the pup will be walking along next to you trying to lick at it. Let it do this every so often and say 'heel' as you do.

Primula cheese, otherwise known as puppy crack. I'd never have thought of this but they used it at our training classes and they pups go mad for it.

+1

Put him on the lead and keep him up right until he gets the messagge do this regularly and whenever he pulls give him sharp pull back into heel and tell him firmly heel, repeat until he gets it, work for me, best of luck

really, think you need a lab mate

Puppy crack, thats excellent

mine is 5 months old, he sits when asked, comes back when asked and after 3 walks he now heels when asked ( I used the stick trick a little tap to tell him to heel) first time I took him for a walk he dragged me everywhere and would not listen to any commands, I was speaking to the dog trainer today at the shoot and he said that was excellent to get a five month old pup to do what he is doing but not to rush him, he said the only thing he needs to learn is to stop when asked, will he do it No lol, I can also throw his ball and he returns it back to me,

after watching some of the dogs on the beating I,m very proud of him he is doing excellent but loves to play and lets not forget he is only a pup even though he thinks he,s the boss now and again,

use the stick,dont hit him just tap him he will learn but only do it for short periods as he will get bored but mine learnt to heel with the stick trick after 3 journeys to the park, patience with the dog is the key

good luck Evo