Check your gun bags!

Underdog

I regularly see fellow shooters carrying their guns with the opening end of the gun slip at the bottom. I have given up telling them the dangers of such actions as my supposedly helpful advice was treated as anything but. I have had a thing about it ever since I saw a Purdey hit the road and split the stock almost in two parts.

Have you never wondered why the barrel end of a slip is re enforced?

Always carry the slip with zip end uppermost, little or no chance of the gun falling out.

Also do not fold a slip in half, especially with the Zip closed, it breaks the Zip.

When you undo the Zip only unzip to the just after the Trigger guard, this will prevent the gun falling out in a moment of disturbed/distracted concentration.

Have you never wondered why the barrel end of a slip is re enforced?

Always carry the slip with zip end uppermost, little or no chance of the gun falling out.

Also do not fold a slip in half, especially with the Zip closed, it breaks the Zip.

When you undo the Zip only unzip to the just after the Trigger guard, this will prevent the gun falling out in a moment of disturbed/distracted concentration.

Yes thanks I know all that. Started at 12 and am now 46 so the Lord only knows how many times a gun has been bagged by me!

The zip just suddenly decided to let go even muzzle down. maybe it has been damaged...I don't care, it's binned.

Bad things just happen sometimes!

Yes thanks I know all that. Started at 12 and am now 46 so the Lord only knows how many times a gun has been bagged by me!

The zip just suddenly decided to let go even muzzle down. maybe it has been damaged...I don't care, it's binned.

Bad things just happen sometimes!

Apologies

I was not trying to tell you anything, just hopefully making others aware :blush::oops:

Sorry to hear of your mishap. I hope there is no damage to the barrels or rib, dents and scratches in the wood are easier to deal with. Can I suggest that you take your gun with you when looking for a new slip. Flap and buckle type are OK but can be a pig to dry when wet, (Wife's hair dryer works well though). Full zip is easier to dry. A combination of the two are also available. Did your slip not have internal flap to slip the heel of the stock under ? If not, look for one that has and check that your stock will fit under the flap, before buying. The flap is designed to stop the gun from flying out, should the zip fail. I have seen countless gun slips fail over the years and some VERY expensive guns damaged. I too have seen many a gun slip carried wrong way up and been ridiculed for pointing out the error. On one occasion having advised an 'experienced' game shooter to carry his slip 'muzzle down' and been given short thrift, a short while later several of his fellow shooters had gathered around him and were looking at his gun. Transpires the leather strap on the flap had snapped at the buckle and what was a nice Holland, now required restocking.

I didn't and after putting a mint shotgun in it and zipping up the zip let go just as I was throwing the gun over my shoulder and launched the gun onto a hard core road!

Shotgun not so mint anymore, me extremely annoyed, old gun bag in bin!

You have been warned!

Underdog.

Ooo nasty,Hope it's not too damaged bud?