Sky tv - robbing so & so's

Devil_bri

Moved house in January so cancelled Sky TV and broadband, got one or two letters a week asking me to come back with various offers so I rang them and told them to I wasn't interested and to stop mailing me. Two weeks later I got a knock on the door and a rep asking me to sign up with them!, told him to do one and not come back.

Since moving we don't have live TV and have cancelled the TV licence, my kids (19-23) just use the Internet to watch stuff or BBC I-player etc. on their X-Box. All positive here, no license fee, TV usage gone right down (so reduced electricity use!) and nobody misses it :)

Edited by phaedra1106

Unfortunately no virgin in my area

Oh you mean the cable service, was going to say same problem in my area.

Moved house in January so cancelled Sky TV and broadband, got one or two letters a week asking me to come back with various offers so I rang them and told them to I wasn't interested and to stop mailing me. Two weeks later I got a knock on the door and a rep asking me to sign up with them!, told him to do one and not come back.

Since moving we don't have live TV and have cancelled the TV licence, my kids (19-23) just use the Internet to watch stuff or BBC I-player etc. on their X-Box. All positive here, no license fee, TV usage gone right down (so reduced electricity use!) and nobody misses it :)

Even to watch tv over the internet on BBC Iplayer you do require a license

With two young kids in the house and some of the worse internet signal ever, sky is really the only option.

Having skygo on the ipad and on my phone has saved me so many agruments, it even makes shopping a nice experience.

+1 SkyGo is excellent. Great to watch live sport and films anywhere in the UK on the ipad. Doesn't work abroad as I found out this summer as I was banking on watching the Ashes by the pool! Grrrr.. something to do with the licencing apparently. :no:

pretty sure that law changed but they dont obviously alert people to the fact, some interesting videos on youtube and a site(will try find ) that explain

No you don't, you only need a license to watch or record live TV. I-Player etc. are "catch up" TV so no license required :)

Official reply taken from the BBC,

"A: You need a TV Licence to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television, irrespective of what channel you're watching, what device you are using (TV, computer, laptop, mobile phone or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or any other way).

You do not need a TV Licence if you are watching TV after it has been shown on television, eg TV programmes downloaded or streamed after broadcast."

Edited by phaedra1106

Now TV is sky's iptv system

It owned by Sky - but sits outside their Sky Go iptv system. It is pay per day for sports channels, or 8.99 a month for sky movies. No contracts either. Alot of other content is free. 10 quid delivered for a device to stream iPlayer or Spotify on your TV is a no-brainer. I got a box just to see what it was about, and side-loaded Plex onto it.

+1 SkyGo is excellent. Great to watch live sport and films anywhere in the UK on the ipad. Doesn't work abroad as I found out this summer as I was banking on watching the Ashes by the pool! Grrrr.. something to do with the licencing apparently. :no:

It does work abroad if you use a VPN, I have no idea what it means but it tricks everything on your ipad into thinking you are in the uk. I use it all the time when travelling and so far it has worked everywhere.

No you don't, you only need a license to watch or record live TV. I-Player etc. are "catch up" TV so no license required :)

Official reply taken from the BBC,

"A: You need a TV Licence to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television, irrespective of what channel you're watching, what device you are using (TV, computer, laptop, mobile phone or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or any other way).

You do not need a TV Licence if you are watching TV after it has been shown on television, eg TV programmes downloaded or streamed after broadcast."

A very different reply to the one I got from a licence officer when we moved here three months ago!! But if thats what the site says all well and good - did'nt want you to get caught out :good:

It does work abroad if you use a VPN, I have no idea what it means but it tricks everything on your ipad into thinking you are in the uk. I use it all the time when travelling and so far it has worked everywhere.

Excellent, thanks so much. I had no idea you could do this. Will definitely investigate this further... :yes:

I was going to post about this the other day after hearing BT have now got the Moto GP rights for 2014 onwards

If free TV will becomes a place for old toot and repeats, people will either give it up or just watch they want online

One of the main reasons I have sky is for Eurosport channels for moto gp etc. Bit gutted that BT are going to get it, particularly as I would have to pay for the BT access as I'm a business BT user. I have phone, broadband, web and domain hosting with them which costs way more than a domestic line which would qualify for free access. Typically screwed up BT attitude!

I was going to post about this the other day after hearing BT have now got the Moto GP rights for 2014 onwards

If free TV will becomes a place for old toot and repeats, people will either give it up or just watch they want online

Is this exclusive to all races or like Sky and the BBC with F1, where the Beeb get a few live and the rest are highlights?

:shaun:

with regrads to the tv licence thing, your perfectly within your rights to not pay it as long as yu dont watch anything live that is broadcasted by the bbc.

if questioned, the best thing to mention at the moment would seem to be that you feel it is morally wrong to pay money to a company that actively tried to hide and protect a pedophile. plus, you dont have to have a licence as long as you can prove you dont watch anything live...

with regards to the OP's question about sky,

let them cancel your sky subscription, then 2 days after the cut off ring them back and sign up under your wifes details.

you are then effectively a new customer (or at least your wife is) wich entitles you both to your £100 of m&s vouchers, new box, new router and a good deal for at least 6 months.

we did it last year!