Shooting ducks - legal clarification, please

spandit

A pair of ducks took off from a neighbours pond this morning and flew over my land, where I was sat with a loaded shotgun at the time. They weren't in range, I wasn't sure of the species but would I have been allowed to shoot them with lead shot or is that only over wetlands?

Very windy today, pigeons, when I saw them, were going at the speed of sound

No it would be illegal lead is banned for use on wildfowl anywhere in England .

A stupid law when you consider you could shoot 1000 lead cartridges into the field and commit no offence but shoot one lead cartridge at a duck flying over that same field and you have, politicians eh !!

if you just catch a duck with a few lead shot and it makes it back to water and dies in the water then you end up with lead in the water system not good

:no: Not the reason why no lead shot on Wildfowl. The argument is/was that the ducks are getting lead poisining from picking up lead shot whilst dabbling for food (and that some people/organisations just love to stick there size 12 into anything related to country sports!), not that it is in the water.

Edited by silver pigeon 3

Is any organisation removing the spent lead shot in estuaries and wetlands that has accumulated over the last century or so shot by previous generations if not nothing will improve swans will still ingest shot from shooting and fishing that my great grandfather left in the. Estuary

I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

In a very unscientific test I scooped up Lough neagh gravel. It is a mix of stone gravel and sand. I put it all in a coffee jar and added lead shot. I swirled it around to represent wave action and wasn't long before the lead all sank through all the other layers to lie in the bottom of the jar.

I'd say your grandfather's lead is well out of the reach of swans by now. Unscientific but revealing.

I did the same very unscientific and the opposite dug up the dabbling area and panned it like for gold found shot and all sorts of stuff including a Dutch medal the thing is birds are (apparently ) still ingesting lead shot we aren't adding to it with our use of non toxic shot so are the figures wrong or is it getting into the system another way

No solution just food for thought

I did the same very unscientific and the opposite dug up the dabbling area and panned it like for gold found shot and all sorts of stuff including a Dutch medal the thing is birds are (apparently ) still ingesting lead shot we aren't adding to it with our use of non toxic shot so are the figures wrong or is it getting into the system another way

No solution just food for thought

I'd say your test is more reliable then. A dabbling area has got to produce more reliable results than a coffee jar!

its the law to use none toxic shot on fowl in England but when i go fishing i use lead weights from half an oz to 1n 3/4oz and most times lose at least 2-3 weights a fishing day and that just ledger fishing some times float fishing and use about 2 floats with about 4 or 5 aa shots so why is lead still allowed for fishing

its the law to use none toxic shot on fowl in England but when i go fishing i use lead weights from half an oz to 1n 3/4oz and most times lose at least 2-3 weights a fishing day and that just ledger fishing some times float fishing and use about 2 floats with about 4 or 5 aa shots so why is lead still allowed for fishing

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/37941.aspx

a few small local shops have been selling me lead weights in the sizes i been using so dam me really so out of interest do that mean we could use fishing weights like bb sg aa aaa size 4 in cartridges as there no toxic still have weight in them and are soft like lead as you can squash them in half with my teeth

Don't know gunshop sells me lead shot not his problem what I do with it or where I use it

Anyway off the thread a bit here sorry

Point is ducks are still (apparently) ingesting shot were not adding to it so it must be the shot our forefathers left behind as none of the lead shot is being removed the problem won't disappear

Don't know gunshop sells me lead shot not his problem what I do with it or where I use it

Anyway off the thread a bit here sorry

Point is ducks are still (apparently) ingesting shot were not adding to it so it must be the shot our forefathers left behind as none of the lead shot is being removed the problem won't disappear

You're right the alleged problem won't disappear without some multi million £ clean up operation, but in 42 years of fowling inland and tidal I've never found or had a dog find one of these thousands of wildfowl that have died from lead poisoning. Just out of curiosity has any other member on here found any ?.