Help buying first scope needed!!

Westy1987

I am looking to buy my first rifle and along with it my first scope

I have put off buying a rifle for a couple of years for all sorts of reasons but have now decided to take the plunge and I have to admit that as much as i love shooting with rifles i actually don't know a lot about scopes and moderators.

I getting a .243 and i would very much appreciate ANY ADVICE ON SCOPES and moderators, with recommendations of different scopes, in different price ranges (above £200) and reasons why.

I am looking for a good quality scope that will be versatile for lamping foxes and stalking deer. (around the 4-12 x50 magnification area)

I look forward to hearing any advice you have to offer.

Many thanks

8x56 S+bender Hungarian s/hand or a 7x50 meopta at lower mag for usual woodland stalking etc a 6x42 S+Bender all might be worth a very close consideration. Variables are all well and good but cost a lot more to produce in a real quality scope and to be fair at 150 yds (a long shot on woodland deer) and the average for a lamped fox in most fields 6x is plenty. very simply it like this 150/6= 25yds Can you clearly see were to shoot a fox or deer at 25yds with the naked eye? Most can! Not long back even Hill stalking was carried out with a 4x scope or even open sights.

Quality glass means more than higher magnification and 4x32, 6x42, 7x50, 8x56 in equal glass quality are equal in their exit pupil (brightness essentially in lower light)

Kent's is very good advice above.

The 243 can kick a bit with out a mod so u wll need a fairly decent scope (whereas for .22cf's u can put almost anything on due to low recoil) but the mod will take most off this out.

The old saying is spend as much as possible on the scope, it really is worth it. I would prob go for a fixed mag 2nd hand scope, possibly a 7x50 ish (ideally the 2 numbers should be multiples of 7, optimal exit eye dia. like kent highlighted above)

Another big thing is the quality of the glass, i was really struggling with a cheap pair off bino's, thought it was lack off mag so bought a higher powered mid range pair, great in daylight but really lacking dawn and dusk. Since saved up for a 2nd hand pair of Swaro's just unbelievable the difference, the quality off picture and clearness and detailis unbelievable.

So even scopes of same mag the quality off glass and lens coatings wil make a massive difference to wot u see.

If u can get a decent S&B, Zeiss, Swaro 2nd hand be worth it, last u for life, althou even 2nd hand may be slightly dear, Meopata and various other brands are pretty decent now

As for mods they have came onso much now lots of small fairly lightwieght ones now compared to the earlier ones, just ask around and go to a few gun shops and have a look. (Top tip always take ur mod off ur rifle to store as have habbit off welding themselves onto rifle if u leave them on)

• 3 weeks later...

8x56 S+bender Hungarian s/hand or a 7x50 meopta at lower mag for usual woodland stalking etc a 6x42 S+Bender all might be worth a very close consideration. Variables are all well and good but cost a lot more to produce in a real quality scope and to be fair at 150 yds (a long shot on woodland deer) and the average for a lamped fox in most fields 6x is plenty. very simply it like this 150/6= 25yds Can you clearly see were to shoot a fox or deer at 25yds with the naked eye? Most can! Not long back even Hill stalking was carried out with a 4x scope or even open sights.

Quality glass means more than higher magnification and 4x32, 6x42, 7x50, 8x56 in equal glass quality are equal in their exit pupil (brightness essentially in lower light)

Good advice, the only one I would add is the Ziess Dia vari C which is my own favourite scope. the German build 3 x 9x 36 is a superb all round scope for sub 300 yard shooting, no longer in production its hard to find. THere was a Ziess 6x42 fixed power at one of the auctions a few weeks ago, it failed to sell at auction and was offered on e mail at £250 + commissions. Excellent value starter scope but a bit of a risk as it may need repair.

A

TBH id recommend a fixed mag scope, else you'll always be fiddling rather than killing with it.

Id say unless youre gonna be shooting at 350 yards+ a 8x mag scope is enough. I use 8x56 Schmit's and id highly recommend them.

Also german glass is some of the best and second hand is usually a good buy

ALWAYS take CF mods off a rifle in storage, all sorts of nasties inside to corrode your bore and crown!

Or the other view, use a strippable Mod, clean it before you put your gun away, as you do with your rifle anyway, store it muzzle/moderator down, and my rifles are all stored in their slips.

Wildcat P8 on all my centrefires, they live there except when cleaning, and have done in all cases for many years, and the barrel and crowns are as good as the day they were made...possibly better!

Or the other view, use a strippable Mod, clean it before you put your gun away, as you do with your rifle anyway, store it muzzle/moderator down, and my rifles are all stored in their slips.

Wildcat P8 on all my centrefires, they live there except when cleaning, and have done in all cases for many years, and the barrel and crowns are as good as the day they were made...possibly better!

Mmm,

Its very hard to clean them well enough IMO and I wouldn't give a strippable moddy room in my own collection, its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you use quality materials and can often create a whole new set of issues as regards alignment, dis-similar metals reacting and threads narfing up