Mandela died

spanj

If you read his biography he states that when he was arrested he was a terrorist prosecuting a policy of violent struggle to overthrow white minority rule and that he was heavily influenced by Marx, Stalin, Mao, Che Guvara and other communist key figures. He pleaded guilty to planning and executing acts of violence and was given a custodial sentence where he had the good sense to reinvent himself and, on his release from prison and election to president, persued a policy of forgiveness and reconciliation.

He came from a similar mold as Robert Mugabee but I suspect that history will view them differently. The question now is how bad the civil unrest in SA will be?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I cannot agree more.

I was a bystander and saw only a small portion of the whole picture. The White South Africans forged their future through sweat and tears and it is their bravery that enabled the society to be formed. Im my view South Africa belongs to the Whites as much as it belongs to the Blacks.

We cannot judge South Africa by our own standards. I have picked up hitch hikers who have told me that I cannot drop them off at this village since they would be killed on the spot. We are not dealing with a society that we can understand by our own experience. Terrorist or not .. his leadership presided upon a period of change that resulted in a very favourable outcome to what could have been a horrific period in history." said splashy.

I think aris and splashy are right. I'd just like to say: Terrorist? Freedom Fighter? Of course he was both. Which he was to you depended, obviously, on how his activities affected your interests and those of your tribe. This is entirely reasonable in an imperfect world, one in which the search for perfect solutions is a fool's game. It's when you are unable to decide between the two that you should know you're in serious (moral) trouble. Witness 21st century Britain where we have become so advanced as to be barely able to distinguish between friend and foe. History will indeed judge Mandela- but it may not be we who write it.

REST IN PEACE

Not the best analogy as the majority of South Africans had fewer rights than the white minority, Northern Ireland was a divided and contested country but the people lived under the same laws.

Say what you want about him but I can't understand the comments of the people that say he wasn't the biggest icon of our age, if he isn't who is?

As for being a terrorist, yes and no, in the same way the French resistance were both depending on what side you were on.

great post !

I just hope it all blows over before the Xmas telly schedule kicks in.

I can't be the only person monumentally depressed at the thought of weeks of Nelson Mandela tributes and biographies on the box.

+1.

And all the snivelling creeping politicians lining up to gush tributes.

I won't be wasting £1.20 on a newspaper paper today. Probably give them a miss till the middle of next week. Something else hould have happend by then.

If you want a giggle, read the Wikipedia page about Winnie Mandela.

Whilst she is a convicted criminal of some repute, she doesn't hold her ex-husband in high regard. She's not a fan of Archbishop Tutu either.

Quality.

On a serious note, all the loony fringes and freedom fighters can take a leaf out of Mandela's book - renounce violence, play the game and then the world adoration, nobel prizes and film deals follow. Got to be better than screaming at people from a pavement outside a mosque in Finsbury (for example).

On the downside, you'll have Bono hanging round you all the time and making a nuisance of himself. Maybe hate preaching with suicidal religious tendencies isn't all that bad after all.

Edited by Mungler

If you want a giggle, read the Wikipedia page about Winnie Mandela.

Whilst she is a convicted criminal of some repute, she doesn't hold her ex-husband in high regard. She's not a fan of Archbishop Tutu either.

Quality.

On a serious note, all the loony fringes and freedom fighters can take a leaf out of Mandela's book - renounce violence, play the game and then the world adoration, nobel prizes and film deals follow. Got to be better than screaming at people from a pavement outside a mosque in Finsbury (for example).

Winnie is the personification of evil IMHO. I don't believe Mandela ever did renounce violence.

Adams & MacGuinness are bit players even by Irish standards certainly not even in the same league as Collins or O'Connell, the comparison has no merit Mandela was fighting a "Just" cause unless someone is going to stand up and defend Apartheid,

Bin Larden please have a word with yourself or leave the debate to the grown ups

The "Prominent & Iconic" status of Mandela flows from his magnitude for forgiveness his desire to find peace to act as a conduit to bring reconciliation to a nation and a beacon for a different option to the world when war and blood shed are so often the easy option.

Churchill certainly charismatic the right man for the job in 1940 talked a good game that said the UK kicked him out day after the war ended, he would struggle to make top 10

Your top 10 maybe not others

mandela will always be a reformed terrorist

Edited by castletyne

I spent a large part of my life in Africa and anyone who thinks Mandela was a saint or anything close to it is a fool. He was the first head of the MK and there is no doubt he had blood on hands but that said, the handover of power would have been a lot bloodier without him.

Love him or hate him, he made a lot of significant sacrifices for his beliefs and the saddest thing is that those sacrifices were all for nothing because those came after him squandered those sacrifices completely.

Mandela's Rainbow Nation has been dead and buried for years and in it's place is a sewer of crime, corruption, murder and genocide and it's going to get a whole lot worse when Madman Malema & his Economic Freedom ****ups take power as he surely will one day..... and when that happens, God help SA, especially the whites in SA because he's going to make Mugabe look like a saint.

As to when Mandela really died...... that's a very good but irrelevant point. Most of the black tribes of southern Africa have a belief that when someone dies but can't be buried on tribal lands, they can take a piece of buffalo thorn (ziziphus mucronata) and lay it on the body of the grave of the departed and the soul is transferred into the branch or twig and that can then be taken to the tribal lands/family plot and buried in place of the actual body and the Mandela family gathering some months ago looked suspiciously like that's what was going on.

Whatever the real situation is, I wish the country and it's peoples a peaceful time in the next days, weeks, months and years.

It's generally history, or at least the people that write it, that judge their actions. I imagine history will look favorably upon Mr Mandela and be not quite as keen on Osama (unless extremist Islam wins, that is).

Unfortunately the inevitable outcome of current political policies, just a matter of time!

All I know is two frineds of mine are white south africans who left SA and there farms and family there in fear of there safty.

One of these serves in the british army along side her brother and another guy who is an electronics technical officer (civilian) for the MOD, both are really nice people and have lived in SA and still have family there. Neither of them had a good word to say about Mandela !

I wasnt there and I cant really judge so I will take the side and support the two very good people i know, in there opinions as they are good people, so i would support the good people so to speak.

Doesnt matter how much he repents etc, fundemently he supported/ordered/ assisted in killing other humans in a terrorist mannor !

Not an easy agruement / debate to have, so the best thing we can do is be accpeting of others differing opions i guess and hope SA can stay peacfull.

when all said and done he majorly helped bring down the Apartheid regime and they wont be missed

There was a lot wrong with the old regime but frankly, the new one is FAR worse in every possible way including human rights abuses & to find examples of that just do a search on phrases such as SA genocide etc, SA 6 week old baby raped or SA 4 year old sodomised in street.

What's more, there's not a single African country that has made a success of black rule. Africa should & could be the most successful continent on the planet. It has endless minerals, precious metals & stones, a large & cheap workforce & lots of areas where a spanner would almost grow if planted the right way up but instead, it's a basket case of crime & corruption that has to be bailed out to the tune of billions. Not millions, but billions every year.

I love Africa but the problem with it is that it's wasted on the Africans!