possible the holy grail of 17hmr moderator's ?

jeffo223

Well it's taken nearly 9 months to finally get it sorted but I now have the finished article and it's GOOD. The moderator in question is a full stainless steel, including the baffles inside, muzzle mounted onelesscharlie moderator. I have had and tested quite a few moderator's including sak, ase, wildcat whisper and a dm80. All these moderator's are good but I wanted something that would last a lifetime and to be a TAD quieter than a sak and this final one of testing has ticked all the boxes. Before anyone say you can just keep buying a sak at £35 I want to buy once and once only. In my opinion and a few of my friends also agree that it's a bit quieter than a sak . Acurracy wise it's better than my current mod which is a wildcat whisper and that's a accurate mod on my rifle but this better. Build quality is 100%. Very pleased indeed.

Paul

It's a muzzle mounted moderator not a over the barrel design. The length of the mod is 130cm with a diameter of 30cm. Weight I have not got a clue as I have nothing to weigh it with sorry. Cost is £70 but costs can go down if other materials are used instead of stainless steel ie aluminum. The moderator has 6 baffles but because it's a custom build you could tailer it to whatever you want.

Paul

It sounds interesting, there simply isn't a great mod for HMR/WMR at the moment, and physics dictate that there probably never will be.

I have tried lots on mine and live with the SAK at the moment, science dictates improvements in sound moderation on these can only be very small, but the world is screaming for a good HMR/WMR mod, very possibly 17WSM next year as well!

If this fits the bill at £70 it will sell! :yes:

It's a muzzle mounted moderator not a over the barrel design. The length of the mod is 130cm with a diameter of 30cm. Weight I have not got a clue as I have nothing to weigh it with sorry. Cost is £70 but costs can go down if other materials are used instead of stainless steel ie aluminum. The moderator has 6 baffles but because it's a custom build you could tailer it to whatever you want.

Paul

Sounds rather large to me??? This is roughly 4' by 12".

I use an ase utra on both .22lr and HMR. Haven't found anything quieter, I think the baffles are stainless or chrome plated. Just a shame it's not entirely stainless and is such a fiddle to reassemble.

I also have a scirocco but the alloy baffles in that (the first three are stainless) burn away worryingly quickly. I'd say it's had a good 500 HMR through it, after the same again my guess is it'll be in the bin. Shame cos it works well and is easy to strip and clean.

Just two quick points as I don't wish to hijack this post....

1) many thanks for Paul for taking the time to video this and to announce it on open forum

2) if anyone wants any additional details regarding these mods or any other from our range feel free to give me a shout on 07833 212214 or come and see us at the British Shooting Show.

Good hunting

Colin

I had a scirocco as well and after 50 rounds the 17hmr had destroyed the baffles and that was supposed to be the uprated one with stainless baffles. Not heard a hardy rimfire in action but I would be a bit sceptical about it's longevity due to it's construction.

Paul

what do you mean? the baffles are machined out of one block of aluminium! so easy as to clean! and also near enough indestructable as its all one piece! they are over barrel and the shroud tube and baffle sections meet in the middle and screw together, also they look awesome as they have a muzzle break built in to the end of the moderator!

cheeers

c

Cal, what I mean is that all the aluminium moderator's I have used have rotted/ worn away due to the blast of the 17hmr. My old moderator the wildcat whisper had a stainless steel blast piece first surrounded by a aluminium dish, I aluminium dish has started to corroded on that as well but the stainless is perfect, that's why I would be weary of the hardy aluminium moderator's. I use my 17hmr alot so the moderator's do take some stick but are cleaned and looked after but as I have said I just want to pay for something once and once only.

I had a scirocco as well and after 50 rounds the 17hmr had destroyed the baffles and that was supposed to be the uprated one with stainless baffles. Not heard a hardy rimfire in action but I would be a bit sceptical about it's longevity due to it's construction.

Paul

my sirocco is on about 6-7000 hmr rounds through and still going strong as it my mates on about 3-4000 rounds and no problems yet you must of had a bad one if it had destroyed the baffles after 50 rounds

colin