what to do?

I would definitely say not fair, In my opinion a puppy should not be left for more than a few hours for a number of reasons.

Pups need to go to the toilet every few hours, they should also be fed three times a day, and you will also be really missing out on bonding time whilst it's really young. Please remember that pups are used to being with their mum and siblings as well as the breeder and his or her family, so I think it's wrong to leave it for that long.

I would disagree , if we all worried about that then dog ownership would be for the unemployed and retired only !

If you want a pup get a pup , feeding is not a issue get a double bowl with a timer and it can have its three meals a day no problem .

A radio left on may help a channel with plenty of talking .

Mess / chewing will be a issue if keeping it indoors unless you have a secure place to keep it , you certainly should consider a kennel and run outside though.

Spend as much time with the pup as you can when you are not at work and be sure to exercise before you go once he has grown a little .

Edited by fenboy

My dog probably gets left on his own twice a week for around 4 hrs but obviously he can be on his own for longer if we have events that he can not go to, I ensure he has plenty of water and food plus I have put a dog flap in our side door and fenced off an area of garden leading from the side alley so he can go do his business without ruining the whole garden plus it gives him the option of being in or out.

As said above if you cant leave the pup for a few hours then only unemployed or retired can own dogs,im quite lucky that the mrs is at home all day with the dog,but plenty of times through her life (inc wen a pup) we leave her for 8+hrs when got things to do an she is no problem,aslong as they have water and their safe what can happen??mine has the cat for company but the radio idea is good also

yeah when we got our pup last year just before xmas he had a few weeks with us and when i went back offshore he was left for 7 hours a day 5 days a week but we built him up to that and he was fine with that for a good number of months but i then changed jobs with a nice increase in wage which mean't my wife could give up work and turn her hobby into a small business to keep her mind occupied so now he isn't left home alone that much and when we do go out for the day with out him we keep it to less than 6-7 hours

depends on the age, i think below 3 months is a big no no esp if wanting to house train the dog. at that age really wanting to be fed 4 times a day, but it is the toillet u will struggle with

Between 3-6 possibly but still not ideal. If u could put it in a run throu day or get a neighbour to let if out for 5 mins at lunch time would help.

I've hopefuly got a pup coming (if any dogs in litter) that my lab has sired, i will ask owners to keep pup til 3 months and then take pup to work with me getting out motor quite a few times a day and giving it a feed at lunch time

Ok me and the Mrs have been thinking for a while regarding a dog and have seen a puppy today we both fell in love with. But if we did get the dog 3 days aweek the puppy will be in the house 8hrs on its own is this far on the dog or not?

it's a black lab

A puppy 8hrs alone in the house? Not here not ever, not only will it be doing its stuff in the home it could chew cables, tip its water over and chew things you don't want chewing. To lock it in one of those cages will just confine the mess to were it must rest.

Futhermore they need small but regular feeds, what you need is a workable solution or an older dog that's already used to the house or Kennel

we used one of those cat timed feeder things we could set it to give the pup 2 meals a day while out, he was in the kitchen granted it took a lil longer to house train him but he is soon got the hang of it theres always a solution to most problems

Of course there will be a solution somehow, but in my opinion it is irresponsible to leave a pup for that long. Yes a few hours is okay , say 2 or 3, but 8 hours is just far too long.

I couldn't agree with Kent more!

What about a dog sitter, there seems to be many around?

we decided for a few reasons that the timing just wasn't right but maybe next year we will look again and bear all these in mind me and the Mrs come from different dog attitude back grounds I was always brought up with outside guard dogs and she was brought up that the dogs were treated better than the kids :/

we decided for a few reasons that the timing just wasn't right but maybe next year we will look again and bear all these in mind me and the Mrs come from different dog attitude back grounds I was always brought up with outside guard dogs and she was brought up that the dogs were treated better than the kids :/

Yeah but you live in Bishop..... :whistling:

:shaun:

Of course there will be a solution somehow, but in my opinion it is irresponsible to leave a pup for that long. Yes a few hours is okay , say 2 or 3, but 8 hours is just far too long.

wouldn't use a dog sitter i wouldn't want some one i didnt know having a key to my house and access to my house while i wasn't there and i am sure some FEO's wouldnt like that idea either, whats the difference from leaving him for 8 hours during the day and sleeping 7-8 hours at night?

Edited by beeredup

totally disagree we all leave dogs for at least 8 hours when we sleep ( unless you get up in the middle of the night to spend time with yours) no dogs like being left on there own as a pup night or day but they will soon get use to any routine you put them in, I've got a pup coming next week at 9 weeks old , he will go straight in the kennel get let out in the mornings for exercise and food then put up till I get home from work about 4 then I'll spend all the time I can spare with him puppy training (playing) feed him then put him away for the night.

totally disagree we all leave dogs for at least 8 hours when we sleep ( unless you get up in the middle of the night to spend time with yours) no dogs like being left on there own as a pup night or day but they will soon get use to any routine you put them in, I've got a pup coming next week at 9 weeks old , he will go straight in the kennel get let out in the mornings for exercise and food then put up till I get home from work about 4 then I'll spend all the time I can spare with him puppy training (playing) feed him then put him away for the night.

:good:

Yeah but you live in Bishop..... :whistling:

:shaun:

very true :rolleyes:

I cant see me or the mrs packing in work for the dog so it would either have to be left for 8hrs or if the neighbour is will she could let it out for 5 minutes in the yard I don't like the idea of a expensive dog been left out side while nobody is in

My pup now 17 months old was left from 8 weeks old whilst I worked, she also slept outside from day one and a mighty fine dog she has turned out to be. I know I can leave her anywhere she wont whine complain and will do as she is told. She is woken up at half 7 in the morning walked fed and put in the kennel at 9, she is let out the kennel at 6 and put back in the kennel when I go to bed around 11. Shes done that since 8 weeks old without any problems at all. They also don't get separation anxiety like I see some dogs with.

wouldn't use a dog sitter i wouldn't want some one i didnt know having a key to my house and access to my house while i wasn't there and i am sure some FEO's wouldnt like that idea either, whats the difference from leaving him for 8 hours during the day and sleeping 7-8 hours at night?

They don't always sleep all through the night at first and will wake you up to go to the toilet well ours did.

A kennel would be different though.

Edited by Nikk

very true :rolleyes:

I cant see me or the mrs packing in work for the dog so it would either have to be left for 8hrs or if the neighbour is will she could let it out for 5 minutes in the yard I don't like the idea of a expensive dog been left out side while nobody is in

go for it mate, it's the only way you'll really find out if keeping a dog is right for ya , if it ain't you can always sell it on . They are a big commitment but the pleasure a good working dog can bring you out weighs the cons by a long way. Every dog is different so you might get one that's so laid back it won't even notice your not there whilst your at work. Ps they are a good reason to get out of the house with a gun under your arm, good luck whatever you decide.