Any archers on here!

spinach

......and no note radio series!

My daughter is a dab hand with an air rifle and has a desperate longing for a bow she's 13 strong determined and importantly safe minded. I have had a fear of them as I grew up living opposite a young man blinded by one as a kid but recognise that should not be a reason to follow a sport she would probable love. We have a safe area on a family small holding that we use as a range so we could evolve that.

Now the question what type of bow and what cost would there recognising her age. It would make her Christmas as we've just lost both Grandads and they loved her love of country sports.

Thanks for any advice John.

......and no note radio series!

My daughter is a dab hand with an air rifle and has a desperate longing for a bow she's 13 strong determined and importantly safe minded. I have had a fear of them as I grew up living opposite a young man blinded by one as a kid but recognise that should not be a reason to follow a sport she would probable love. We have a safe area on a family small holding that we use as a range so we could evolve that.

Now the question what type of bow and what cost would there recognising her age. It would make her Christmas as we've just lost both Grandads and they loved her love of country sports.

Thanks for any advice John.

If she is left handed my wife's beginner set up which she is selling could be perfect.

If not then Merlin are pretty good as are Wales Archery.

If she does not want a full target bow to start with the Decathlon have some reasonable starter type sets for £50 ish which are good fun.

OD

Take her to beginners a beginners evening at a local archery club - they are all over the place and love new archers - where they will quickly assess what size and draw strength of bow she needs. Plus they will get her started right in terms of stance, and where to draw back to on the face. And safety advice... like never dry firing (twanging) a bow without an arrow in it as the undirected force can shatter it....You wouldn't give a kid a shotgun without a safety lesson from an experienced person.... Also they usually know all the best deals on kit and where to get all neccesary bits from.

Edited by Longchalk

Take her to beginners a beginners evening at a local archery club - they are all over the place and love new archers - where they will quickly assess what size and draw strength of bow she needs. Plus they will get her started right in terms of stance, and where to draw back to on the face. And safety advice... like never dry firing (twanging) a bow without an arrow in it as the undirected force can shatter it....You wouldn't give a kid a shotgun without a safety lesson from an experienced person.... Also they usually know all the best deals on kit and where to get all neccesary bits from.

+ lots!

Do:

Go to a club - more than one, even. They will be able to lend kit until she is ready to get one of her own.

Until she has learned the correct form on something with a low draw weight, she won't be ready to buy one anyway, and anything you do buy will either be wildly wrong or need replacing inside a month.

Don't:

Go to a shop and buy one before doing a beginner's course.

Do:

Be prepared for her to go through several bows and sets of arrows in the first year or two: technique and muscle develop quickly, and the bow she can just manage when she starts will seem pitifully weak after not many months.

Do:

Regards arrows as something of a consumable, especially to start with. DAMHIK! :blush:

Even more don't:

Buy one off eBay!

If she doesn't fancy shooting at traditional targets, try field archery - possibly the most fun you can have with a bow in this country.

Try here: http://www.nfas.net

HTH

Lots of independent bow makers still around in the UK and even better you can go on a woodland course to make your own (kids included) out of ash or yew.

I made a few bows myself but i couldnt get them past 45# (lbs) of pull before exploding!

I'd definitely go on a course first and see what she prefers (longbow, compound, reflex etc) and they will guide you right. You can get cheap practice arrows which arent bad as well and use these before you commit to carbon shafted fandangles.