Auto safety

Dominicrobed

Unloaded guns don't accidentally discharge, loaded ones can, normally they are negligent discharges not accidental (ie someone pulled the trigger when they didn't mean to) an engaged safety would prevent this, but if the situation was not safe why was someone pulling the trigger, if they didn't mean to pull the trigger why was the gun loaded?

If the reality is you load the gun then disengage the safety why bother with the safety ???

Edited by HDAV

Seriously? Have you ever been rough shooting? If you have your gun unloaded all the time, you're not going to shoot much!

Muzzle awareness is a crucial skill for anyone using a gun and good gun handling is vitally important. However, things happen, they're not intended, but they do. I'd be much happier shooting next to someone who somehow accidentally pulled the trigger and nothing happened, than someone who accidentally pulled the trigger and a shot was discharged in a safe direction.

Seriously? Have you ever been rough shooting? If you have your gun unloaded all the time, you're not going to shoot much!

Muzzle awareness is a crucial skill for anyone using a gun and good gun handling is vitally important. However, things happen, they're not intended, but they do. I'd be much happier shooting next to someone who somehow accidentally pulled the trigger and nothing happened, than someone who accidentally pulled the trigger and a shot was discharged in a safe direction.

Yeah I do more than my fair share of rough shooting, I've also been witness to a ND which went onto the ground no more than two feet from where my wife was sat, another ND as a gun on a peg closed his auto safe lamber o/u kicking up debris a few feet from the next peg, never ever trust a safety catch is the simple answer, if you don't rely on it then it can not let you down, you are kidding yourself if you think it adds an extra level of safety. Edited by Paul223

My browning 725 sporter doesn't have a automatic safety however it did come with the part to fit it. Not that I have ever thought about fitting it and I would never do. I do a fair bit of rough shooting and I cannot see the issue of walking with the gun broken steadying yourself when a bird breaks, closing the gun and turning off the safety before shooting the bird. I have seen people walk around with o/u's closed relying on the safety catch and that's not for me. If you are !missing birds because you think it takes to long to close the action and disengage the safety then I think you need to improve your shooting. I admit I'm a over cautious shooter however I rather be like that than cause an accident. Its just not worth the risk.

I read through all the above comments I can't believe the amount of ******** people are spewing out... Honestly if a gun comes with a auto safety, then leave it there. You will be used to it within the week, so what's the haste?. It's single purpose IS as a second line against an accidental discharge for the specific purpose these auto safe guns are designed for. No one has ever said it is to be used as a complete fail safe method of holding the gun. OBVIOUSLY an unloaded gun is the only safe gun. It's there to protect the user in the event of an unexpected fall/incident whilst walking with the gun loaded.

Clay guns don't have them because they are ONLY ever loaded when on a purpose designed peg and pointing In a safe direction on a firm base.

Game guns come with them as generally you are standing/ walking in a field/forest with the gun loaded in anticipation of a bird lifting. The ignorance to the purpose of the guns feature makes me cringe.

Now, you could say that closing the gun once a bird lifts is a better option... But I'm sorry you haven't shot many woodcock with that method. And if you have, well... I'm delighted to meet you Mr Digweed.

If there was no purpose for having them the manufacturers wouldn't fit them. So unless you are turning a game gun into a sporting clay gun why would you waste your money having it removed for such a trivial thing as flicking it off...?

Cheers

I read through all the above comments I can't believe the amount of ******** people are spewing out... Honestly if a gun comes with a auto safety, then leave it there. You will be used to it within the week, so what's the haste?. It's single purpose IS as a second line against an accidental discharge for the specific purpose these auto safe guns are designed for. No one has ever said it is to be used as a complete fail safe method of holding the gun. OBVIOUSLY an unloaded gun is the only safe gun. It's there to protect the user in the event of an unexpected fall/incident whilst walking with the gun loaded.

Clay guns don't have them because they are ONLY ever loaded when on a purpose designed peg and pointing In a safe direction on a firm base.

Game guns come with them as generally you are standing/ walking in a field/forest with the gun loaded in anticipation of a bird lifting. The ignorance to the purpose of the guns feature makes me cringe.

Now, you could say that closing the gun once a bird lifts is a better option... But I'm sorry you haven't shot many woodcock with that method. And if you have, well... I'm delighted to meet you Mr Digweed.

If there was no purpose for having them the manufacturers wouldn't fit them. So unless you are turning a game gun into a sporting clay gun why would you waste your money having it removed for such a trivial thing as flicking it off...?

Cheers

Its very simple, its called choice!

Semis don't have them and pumps don't have them and not all o/u and sbs have them, and the vast majority of Rifles don't have them.

So, if someone doesn't want one so be it!

Its very simple, its called choice!

Semis don't have them and pumps don't have them and not all o/u and sbs have them, and the vast majority of Rifles don't have them.

So, if someone doesn't want one so be it!

Exactly, couldn't agree more! I just don't like to see people getting a verbal hammering for choosing one or the other. Whoever asked in the frost place wanted a honest answer. Not a ear bashing for asking it.

Cheers

Thank goodness, there is someone else who is happy to wear a seatbelt when driving.

Thank goodness, there is someone else who is happy to wear a seatbelt when driving.

Your seatbelt analogy is pants and bears no relationship to auto safety or not on guns, there is even an argument that those with auto safety get complacent thinking they are safe, where manual or no safety actually take care!

So, what would you do if you ever got a semi or pump, or were out with someone using one, have the thing totally re-engineered in an attempt to fit one, or in the field with a sporting model (very common) and not fitted?

I just don't get peoples attitude here, if you want auto safety fine, if you don't, fine.

Edited by Dekers

Your seatbelt analogy is pants and bears no relationship to auto safety or not on guns, there is even an argument that those with auto safety get complacent thinking they are safe, where manual or no safety actually take care!

So, what would you do if you ever got a semi or pump, or were out with someone using one, have the thing totally re-engineered in an attempt to fit one, or in the field with a sporting model (very common) and not fitted?

I just don't get peoples attitude here, if you want auto safety fine, if you don't, fine.

+1

jesus!... a guy asks a simple question with a simple answer but you guys cant help yourselves and pump out the same old opinions on a topic done to death.... WAY too keen!

Ground hog day anyone?

People are different and like different things.... get used to it as it'll never change.... thank god.