whats best for vermin .177 or .22

shawn9914

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/04/2020 at 11:18, Mr.C said:

So assuming that we're shooting sub 12 air rifles with diabolo fields. 

The 22 weighing 16gr @ 565fps and the 177 weighing 8.4 @ 780fps both making 11.35ftlb. The 177 will take significantly less of the equal strength same direction side wind? Just curious. 

I watched a YouTube video yesterday comparing .22 & .177 initial speed vs speed at 50mtrs, and ft/lbs at the muzzle and at 50mtrs, it was quite interesting,  I'll see if I can find it but I'm not sure how to do YouTube links.

9 minutes ago, villaman said:

He is not totally right on many accounts 

cloverleaf did a very good write up on the subject on the airgun forum , which I can’t find at the moment 

I've read that and it was very good, but it didn't compare 22 and 177

What I found interesting was comparing the speed of the pellets at 50mtrs light v normal. The light starts out faster but the weight helps the heavier retain its speed.

The article Cloverleaf did has made me look at light pellets for my 177, I was thinking jsb heavies but it was hard to overlook the light weights after that.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I've read that and it was very good, but it didn't compare 22 and 177

What I found interesting was comparing the speed of the pellets at 50mtrs light v normal. The light starts out faster but the weight helps the heavier retain its speed.

The article Cloverleaf did has made me look at light pellets for my 177, I was thinking jsb heavies but it was hard to overlook the light weights after that.

Yes , made me look at the AA express in a different light . Did my own testing on light , medium and heavy pellets in HW100k in wind and indoor, most accurate out to 75 yards was AA express and been using them ever since 

12 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

This test should have been done with 2 shooters firing both cals at the same time .

Not 1 after the other  allowing the wind to gust or drop between cals  .

Your challenge when circumstances allow.......

11 minutes ago, villaman said:

was AA express and been using them ever since 

I've got some to try, the only thing that concerns me is they are short pellets and folk say they've had trouble with short pellets in R10s 

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Your challenge when circumstances allow.......

I've got some to try, the only thing that concerns me is they are short pellets and folk say they've had trouble with short pellets in R10s 

My ultra is so accurate with them , but magazines hates them . A real shame they are so good it’s unbelievable 

Ive never found them that great .

I have  some express and the webley mosquito  version too .

Ive tried them in  single shot ultras .m/s Scorpions .m/s ultras .r10  

In a  fac scorpion 

Bsa xl . Hw 30 .tx200 . Hw98 

And over the chronos for bc testing .and have been underwhelmed by them in all .

Ive always found the 7.3 s or 8.4 s better .

Just how its been for me .

Edited by Ultrastu