remington or browning

john12

Hi all and happy new year to you all.

Well with it been a new year thought I would try and get myself sorted. I have been using a sxs 10 gauge for the last couple of seasons and have got on with it ok. I have been thinking about treating myself to a auto 10. I just don't know which one!. I was thinking about a sp10 but you don't seem to see many for sale,then there is the browning which seem to be readily available.

Just any info on either would be great, thanks john.

Sp10s are around you just have to keep looking and asking, I'm sure you will get one, I had a old version of the browning gold black it was, I found it very good just a bit big though.

Got a browning gold lite now think it weighs around 10lb, I find this gun very good I've nearly shot all my geese on the shore with this 10 bore auto this year, plus the gold lite is steel shot proofed so that's a bonus, but the old ones still manage all types of non toxic shot with no problems and they are not steel shot proofed.

Both my son and I have sp10s great guns not fussy with cartridges

I've not shot a browning 10 so can not comment

I have also had Ithaca mag 10s if you find one with the Wolff spring conversion in good condition it's worth getting they are prone to jamming without the Wolff conversion

I had my sp10 for sale recently because I was having a long slump with it were I couldn't hit anything with it and it drained my confidence. Also the slide link pivot pin had come loose and kept jamming it took a long time to find that out.Took it out at the start of Xmas after it was fixed and I'm more than glad I didn't sell it, what a gun! My only issue with it is it spits 55pence shells a fair bit and they take some finding

Edited by edenman

I had my sp10 for sale recently because I was having a long slump with it were I couldn't hit anything with it and it drained my confidence. Also the slide link pivot pin had come loose and kept jamming it took a long time to find that out.Took it out at the start of Xmas after it was fixed and I'm more than glad I didn't sell it, what a gun! My only issue with it is it spits 55pence shells a fair bit and they take some finding

Jesus! I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a case.

That's how much remington cases are from clay/game. Do you know where they are cheaper? Or are you using the 10g cheddite cases?

No, I mainly use once fired jobbies. I had a load of Rem and Fed. They were about 25p each. I also find the new Rem cases a pain in the **** to work with and I've had a few of the bases come off.

No, I mainly use once fired jobbies. I had a load of Rem and Fed. They were about 25p each. I also find the new Rem cases a pain in the **** to work with and I've had a few of the bases come off.

Not the only one then! They are that thick they take some crimping on the new ones, think clay and game are selling the old light green rem cases now , a bit cheaper than the olive ones, never had a problem cycling through the browning 10b though, even if the crimps don't look the best I've done!

Not the only one then! They are that thick they take some crimping on the new ones, think clay and game are selling the old light green rem cases now , a bit cheaper than the olive ones, never had a problem cycling through the browning 10b though, even if the crimps don't look the best I've done!

The dark green remington cases require skiving to get get a good crimp, I haven't loaded any of the lighter coloured cases so I don't know if they are skived or not

Edited by edenman