Ferreting Bolting Rabbits

srspower

shootin bolters with the 12g . is the best shootin'' i love it :good: we'v shot 40plus some days between 2 of us.. if you know the guy ya shootin with [ and he is'nt an excitable sort] its perfectly safe :yes: had some nice left and rights B) ferrets in ''stand back ''bang 'bang'' easy ''no nettin up :)

Edited by miroku moocher

shootin bolters with the 12g . is the best shootin'' i love it :good: we'v shot 40plus some days between 2 of us.. if you know the guy ya shootin with [ and he is'nt an excitable sort] its perfectly safe :yes: had some nice left and rights B) ferrets in ''stand back ''bang 'bang'' easy ''no nettin up :)

Have to agree. Bolting bunnies to guns is brilliant fun and really tests those who claim to be good shots. One or two who thought they were good have embarrassed themselves when out with us and faced with the real thing. Great fun. There's a local farmer who plants a 40 acre field with Maize each year which is surrounded by a main road on one side and a railway banking on the other. Prior to sowing we do what we can to reduce the rabbit numbers but it's never enough, and when the crop is being cut a few of us shoot the rabbits as they bolt for cover. It is just about the most fun you can have with your trousers on!

I've done more than my share of ferreting to nets.....and bloody digging, but there are a lot of railway bankings around here which makes both netting and digging extremely difficuilt. Plus I'm sick of kneeling down in wet grass regardless of knee pads!

32 grm 5's of anything will sort them through nothing more than 1/2, even those going away. Clear Pigeon 32 6's are a good choice also.

Enjoyed the vid'. If you paunch them(empty the bladder first) before hocking them it's a lot easier (I find it a faff to unhock them once rigor has set in) and they don't stink!

Edited by Scully

no doubt it's safe mate , but in my opinion ferreting with 12s ain't sporting it's easy . Try it with a 410 then you'll have some fun. If your ferreting and shooting you are always within 10 yards of the warren and 9 times out of 10 the next warren ain't more than 10 yards away so most shots when ferreting are about 15 to 20 yards at a stretch which to me is to close for 12s .

no doubt it's safe mate , but in my opinion ferreting with 12s ain't sporting it's easy . Try it with a 410 then you'll have some fun. If your ferreting and shooting you are always within 10 yards of the warren and 9 times out of 10 the next warren ain't more than 10 yards away so most shots when ferreting are about 15 to 20 yards at a stretch which to me is to close for 12s .

simple, stand further away why use an expensive cartridge different gun when your usual pigeon gun/load will do.

You have obviously never ferreted the ground I ferret from time to time which is basically on the side of a mountain,the rabbits bolt that quick they are very sporting going downhill.

Also,why do you feel the need to stand 10 yards away from the hole. Stand back a bit & at least the rabbit can be ate & not scraped up with a shovel.

You have obviously never ferreted the ground I ferret from time to time which is basically on the side of a mountain,the rabbits bolt that quick they are very sporting going downhill.

Also,why do you feel the need to stand 10 yards away from the hole. Stand back a bit & at least the rabbit can be ate & not scraped up with a shovel.

what so you walk 20yards every time your ferret needs picking up or relocating to another whole in the warren give Me a break I've ferreted all my life mate and shot a lot of rabbits . perhaps that's why I find it more fun with the 410 bit more of a challenge.

what so you walk 20yards every time your ferret needs picking up or relocating to another whole in the warren give Me a break I've ferreted all my life mate and shot a lot of rabbits . perhaps that's why I find it more fun with the 410 bit more of a challenge.

Exactly, I will stand at least 20 yards from the hole (depending on the situation). It's not hard to put a ferret in a hole,walk 20 yards, shoot rabbit, lift ferret and move to another hole.

I'm sure you have ferreted all your life,fill your boots with your 10-15 yard rabbits, I am happy enough with the way I do things.

I bet you've never ferreted , when working ferrets you need to be pretty close in order to work them pal. It's about the sport for me mate not the expense.

I can post up a few write ups from days out I have posted in here if you like?

Seriously don't patronise me, I by no means would consider myself a pro at ferreting; however, I do get out a few times a year when I am not rough shooting.

Exactly, I will stand at least 20 yards from the hole (depending on the situation). It's not hard to put a ferret in a hole,walk 20 yards, shoot rabbit, lift ferret and move to another hole.

I'm sure you have ferreted all your life,fill your boots with your 10-15 yard rabbits, I am happy enough with the way I do things.

you ain't got a clue pal . You think putting one ferret in one Hole shooting one rabbit then moving to next warren is ferreting, get somone to show you how to do it properly and you should get a few more I should imagine. Lol. Edited by jayDT10