Ideal shotgun cart bag?

humperdingle

So i'm going to make myself a leather shotgun cartridge bag...

Ideally, it's going to fit 3 or 4 actual cart boxes in it (as opposed to chucking them all in loose).

This way, I can take different loads in the same bag and not be rooting-around, trying to find the ones I want.

What else should I be incorporating into the design, chaps?

There was one for sale cant remember if it was on here or bbs it looked smart had three layers. If you use earplugs and glasses maybe a pocket for them.some nice engraving in the leather, do you have any metal detecting pals, they find some lovely old buckels i detect but have nothing nice at the moment.

possibily some loops under the cover to slide some cartridge in, maybe in pairs so you can load up your different carts together. that way you can cock your gun grab the 2 in one hand - straight into the gun.

just a idea though. perhaps something going up the handle on the back to hang game off too.

mark

I have a cartridge bag which holds, 4 boxes of cartridges, I find this too small if i am clay shooting, extra pockets for ear defenders glasses cases, car keys wallet etc.

I now use a large, Gamebore bag, loads of room to keep all my stuff in and keeps my pockets nice and empty while shooting.

I know what I'd love for game/pigeons/waterfowl but it doesn't exist that I've found. I want something game bag sized (holds a pair of geese or about 4 pheasants, or ~10-12 pigeons) and designed like a traditional game bag on the outside. The inside would have the main big compartment. Then against the 'wall' that is nearest the body I would have elastic cartridge shell loops on a stiff backer. The cartridges would be separated from the game with a thin, waterproof liner (the liner would be inside the full dead game area). The stiff backer would be able to hold x25 cartridges, maybe x50. And, the backer (and cartridges) would be removable. That way I can have 3 different backers with loads for waterfowl, pheasants, and pigeons (or big 12, 20, light 12). It would be able to hold 3 1/2" cartridges on the waterfowl sized board (that could be a x25 board). The strap would be heavy cordura, maybe leather. The bag would be either cordura or leather outer, definitely waterproof. There would also be one small pocket on the strap about the size of a wallet to carry my ear plugs.

anyone know of anything like that? Anyone want to go about making a custom one of that?

thanks

rick

This is the Gamebore bag I have.

http://www.gamebore.com/shop/detail/36/castellani-for-gamebore-shooting-bag

Nice and big but only one main pocket so things get a bit mixed up.

I use the bottom pocket to store a jumper if the weather is changeable.

Something this size but with internal compartments inside would work really well.

OK, had a go at a prototype today...

Edges unfinished, natural leather, held together with Chicago style screws so I can take it to bits...

Holds 3 boxes nice and snug...

http://s260.photobucket.com/user/humperdingle/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140118_154219_zpsc7e52c40.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s260.photobucket.com/user/humperdingle/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140118_154247_zps31bb9047.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

OK, had a go at a prototype today...

Edges unfinished, natural leather, held together with Chicago style screws so I can take it to bits...

Holds 3 boxes nice and snug...

http://s260.photobucket.com/user/humperdingle/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140118_154219_zpsc7e52c40.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s260.photobucket.com/user/humperdingle/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140118_154247_zps31bb9047.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks good mate. Where did you get the leather from?

Like it I would buy one in canvas and had some hoops in lid for some chokes or a pocket for ear plugs/choke key? And maybe a poppers to fix lid to bag? Or one of those twist fasteners?

Nice work though well done.

Thanks... I'm going to make some kind of holster with some kind of clip to hold the Claymate counter in, then it can just clip on and off the bag or belt.