Manual or auto safety?

Oli383

Hi guys sorry if this topic has been covered recently but i have just acquired a beretta silver pigeon 1 sporter which has a manual safety. I know that a safe gun is an unloaded gun or a broken gun!! I will be using the gun for 50/50 clays and rough shooting, i was just wondering what others think and use. Not sure weather to get it changed or not as i missed a few clays with the clubs auto safety.

Many thanks Oli

I've shot game with a manual and its fine for rough shooting you just have to remember to put the safety on...... You can get into a routine with auto safeties of loading, closing, taking safety off as you mount the gun..... If you then don't the shot you have a loaded and ready to fire gun just like a manual.....

I've shot game with a manual and its fine for rough shooting you just have to remember to put the safety on...... You can get into a routine with auto safeties of loading, closing, taking safety off as you mount the gun..... If you then don't the shot you have a loaded and ready to fire gun just like a manual.....

My preference too, always reload if no immediate sexond shot so safety always on and always slip it before firing. I occasionally forget to release the safety duhhh.

Either or . BUT and I say its a big BUT if you have more than one gun with and without auto safes you have to be very careful as to which you are using . It is not always, especially with older guns ,"safe ", to rely on a safety to ensure the gun is safe . If you miss a shot because the gun is on safe then it is you who is at fault as you are not concentrating on what you are doing . That is a criticism that applies to us all , as the old saying goes >familiarity breeds contempt <.

As with HDAV and Dekers, I too am not a fan of auto safeties. ( Mrs Sim has a smilar opinion too)

BUT, this is the advantage of how easy it is to change - YOU decide what YOU want, and set the gun up accordingly - on the SP, IIRC, it is very easy to change, so try it both ways... and then YOU decide what works for YOU !!! :good:

Edited by FarmerSim

Surely it's not a matter of preference it is a matter of common sense. Anything to do with safety is a must and auto safety makes sure the gun is safe when it's opened reloaded and closed.

I'm still trying to work out how you missed a couple of clays with the clubs auto safety Oli.

Can anyone explain why a manual safety is as safe as an auto.

Surely it's not a matter of preference it is a matter of common sense. Anything to do with safety is a must and auto safety makes sure the gun is safe when it's opened reloaded and closed.

I'm still trying to work out how you missed a couple of clays with the clubs auto safety Oli.

I disagree entirely with your comment a shotgun "safety" only prevents the trigger being pulled, when would you ever pull the trigger when not intending to shoot something?

A loaded gun is never "safe"

My 1st gun didn`t have auto safety I was fine with it my current gun has got an auto safety and I got used to it and its now part of my routine. One thing I will say I have seen many people go to shoot clays and nought happens as they have forgotten to take off the auto safety but I`ve never seen anyone randomly firing off as they have forgotten to put on their manual safety !!

Edited by huds78

I disagree entirely with your comment a shotgun "safety" only prevents the trigger being pulled, when would you ever pull the trigger when not intending to shoot something?

A loaded gun is never "safe"

I'm sorry I'm so thick but I've read your statement 6 times and still don't understand. What has safety got to do with the internal workings of a shotgun.

I thought when a safety catch was in safe mode the gun wouldn't fire. I might be wrong. So anything that helps the safety catch being on more of the time is an aid to shooting safety surely.

A shotgun safety catch just stops the trigger being pulled it does not stop the gun firing for example if you drop it etc.

Where is the auo saftey on a semi auto ?