Wood Peckers

four-wheel-drive

I think you are right JDog, there was a Greater Spotted on a big gravel pit that I used to fish in the spring that used to drum on an electricity pylon at the same time early each morning, it made a right ol' racket.

I have seen all three species, and also their cousins the nuthatches, every month of the year. I am not entirely convinced that the drumming is food related as it is more likely to be territorial.

Edited by Penelope

The Drumming is territorial generally....If you hear it its likely to be a Greater Spotted as Greens rarely drum and the lesser spotted is extremely rare these days.

Round these parts the Green is known as a Yaffle colloquially because of its laughing call and also as Rainbird since its call best travels in still Weather conditions often preceding rain.

The Greens have increased substantially in numbers in the last few years which is great to see.

If you want to see a Greater spotted at close quarters...find a woodland where you know they habit and tap a tree or wooden fence post intermittently with a stone for a few minutes...any breeding males in the vicinity will soon be down to check out whose making the noise...

I'm afraid I can trump you there Jdog...I've recorded all three resident woodpeckers..and plenty of Nuthatches ( another bird whose numbers are on the up )and also a couple of years ago a Wryneck in my mothers Garden.

I did also witness a juvenile Sparrowhawk trying to down a Green Woodpecker once and the hawk came off worse. :lol:

Birding lesson over... :lol:

I have never seen a Wryneck. Nor have I ever seen a Dartford Warbler, Golden Oriole, Hawfinch, Crossbill or Waxwing. I am not a great 'birder' but I do intend to see some of these before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

The Rose coloured starling which came into my garden and the great grey shrike almost make up for the discrepancies.

Been hearing Greater or lesser spotted woodpeckers on and off for the past few weeks in the woodland at the back of my house.

Saw a pair flitting about in the big ol' oak tree at end of next doors' garden, - bootiful looking birds- suprised how small they were (think big pair of tits ?(behave) )

Have seen Green Woodpeckers on my mums lawn, she's more in suburbia

I have never seen a Wryneck. Nor have I ever seen a Dartford Warbler, Golden Oriole, Hawfinch, Crossbill or Waxwing. I am not a great 'birder' but I do intend to see some of these before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

The Rose coloured starling which came into my garden and the great grey shrike almost make up for the discrepancies.

Saw a Golden oriole aged 10 when at Sunday School in the vicarage at Coln St Aldwyn which got me seriously interested in birding. Wonderful sight I will take with me to my grave.

Hawfinch & Crossbills regularly observed in the Forest of Dean at the moment along with a Solitary great Grey Shrike.. http://www.birder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

We had a big flock of Waxwings on our rowan last year but nothing this year yet..it hasn't been cold enough...to bring the big influx.

Never seen a Dartford, or a Rose Starling...but have seen a Roller, and Hoopoe in Norfolk...both of which are wonderful birds.

There are some spectacular birds which visit these shores occasionally and the images below illustrate why serious twitchers will go to extremes to view them.

post-427-0-65010600-1390339845_thumb.jpg

post-427-0-63204000-1390340195_thumb.jpg

post-427-0-63011400-1390340217_thumb.jpg

We have greater woodpeckers (excuse my ignorance but I think they are a pair, one with the red cap and one without) who regularly feed on the nuts in the garden.

Without fail we see them most days straight out of the beech wood which surrounds the farm house. Fantastic birds, I could watch them for hours!

Edited by ben0850

Fisherman Mike, where are you from? I've never heard the word Yaffle before, but love it. great name for them. I'm just missing the lesser spotted for the year. There are hardly any this way, so much so that a sighting results in tweets being sent across berkshire.

Deepest Gloucestershire..in the Toadsmoor valley between Cirencester and Stroud

post-427-0-82712800-1390343577_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Fisherman Mike, where are you from? I've never heard the word Yaffle before, but love it. great name for them. I'm just missing the lesser spotted for the year. There are hardly any this way, so much so that a sighting results in tweets being sent across berkshire.

As in professor yaffle from bagpuss...plenty of greens down here in Cornwall.

Up here just south of the Highland Boundary Fault- about Stirling- the greater spotted is not at all uncommon- almost a daily spot in Spring and Summer- or at least the "chick!" call- and a fairly common sight in the winter too. Over the last 20 years I've seen or heard the yaffle on about three occasions only. I've never seen a nuthatch in our woods but one was seen on one occasion by a keen birder then in our employ. Twice had a flock of Waxwings pass through- in the two recent, severe winters. Saw a pair of goldcrests the other day. We used to have three pairs of spotted flycatchers nesting around our place, but then they disappeared for several years, only to return last summer, one pair only. No rarities but one lives in hope!

there was two woodpeckers that frequent the wood at the rear of my garden, last year but all of a sudden disappeared, they are the Great Spotted Woodpecker, the one with the bright red on the underside of its belly,

I could always hear them knocking away but could never ever see them, anyway they appeared on my squirrel feeder with the peanut butter in it and I could not believe just how small they where, tiny little things but stunning to watch all the same,

September came and they totally disappeared, not a sound from them, then this last week I can hear them again but have not seen them on the feeder yet, I,ll try and video them on the feeder, a truelly stunning little bird that brings joy to my daughter every time she sees them,

atb Evo

The animated puppet woodpecker in the 70/80's children's programme 'Bagpuss' was called Professor Yaffle.

Edited by Penelope

We have greater woodpeckers (excuse my ignorance but I think they are a pair, one with the red cap and one without)

If the *entire* top of the head is red, like a skullcap, then it's a juvenile.

they are the Great Spotted Woodpecker

tiny little things

I wouldn't've described the *Greater* Spotted Woodpecker as a "tiny little thing". It's dove-sized, I suppose.

Now the *Lesser* Spotted *is* small. I seemed to remember that it was the size of a Great Tit.

I suppose it depends on how large you *expected* them to be...

Regards,

Mark.