Pigeon flapper

Westley

Hi Guys, does anyone know of a pigeon flapper of the electric variety that folds the wings back to the sides of the dead bird, when at rest position ? Thanks. W.

Not sure I know of any. Is it important that the wings fold back down to the side of the pigeon?

Okay Guys, Here is where I disclose my well gaurded secret. Anyone reading this, remember to eat it afterwards !!!!! I have used for years a 'WAGBI/Semark dead bird flapper, which is cord operated. It also uses a rubber band as a return spring! Once having broken the wings of a DEAD bird, the bird is then mounted on the device. By pulling a cord which is attached to the wing lifting arms, the wings lft upwards and forwards, exposing the white wing bars. When the cord is released, the rubber bands then return the wings to the sides of the decoy. I have used this device attached to my lofting poles on an Oak tree on the edge of a roosting wood at roost shooting time in Feb/March. It will pull birds from great heights to said tree, obviously I am situated where I can shoot at these birds. Birds that are being shot at everywhere they go, will readily drop into what they believe is one of their kind who has just landed safely. Now for the problems, in a high wind the cord can get caught in the branches and stick, the rubber bands are not strong enough to return the wings if the cord gets trapped. Getting the device up and down can be a pain, but having achieved the correct height and position, it can be deadly. The only other down side is it pulls pigeons down from such great heights, one can get frostbite when picking them up !!!!! An electric flapper that worked in the same way would make life a bit simpler. I think that the Pinewood flapper folds the wings back in but at one hell of a price. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, but do not send the guys in white coats just yet.

Any pics ? Can you still buy these ? I guess not that's why your asking ?

Dave, in reply. No, as far as I am aware, they are no longer available.

Regarding photo's I can take the snaps, no probs. Getting them onto here may be a different thing though. I can but try.

Okay Guys, Here is where I disclose my well gaurded secret. Anyone reading this, remember to eat it afterwards !!!!! I have used for years a 'WAGBI/Semark dead bird flapper, which is cord operated. It also uses a rubber band as a return spring! Once having broken the wings of a DEAD bird, the bird is then mounted on the device. By pulling a cord which is attached to the wing lifting arms, the wings lft upwards and forwards, exposing the white wing bars. When the cord is released, the rubber bands then return the wings to the sides of the decoy. I have used this device attached to my lofting poles on an Oak tree on the edge of a roosting wood at roost shooting time in Feb/March. It will pull birds from great heights to said tree, obviously I am situated where I can shoot at these birds. Birds that are being shot at everywhere they go, will readily drop into what they believe is one of their kind who has just landed safely. Now for the problems, in a high wind the cord can get caught in the branches and stick, the rubber bands are not strong enough to return the wings if the cord gets trapped. Getting the device up and down can be a pain, but having achieved the correct height and position, it can be deadly. The only other down side is it pulls pigeons down from such great heights, one can get frostbite when picking them up !!!!! An electric flapper that worked in the same way would make life a bit simpler. I think that the Pinewood flapper folds the wings back in but at one hell of a price. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, but do not send the guys in white coats just yet.

I still don't understand why the wings have to fold back in. I'm sure any flapper would work.

I can assure you that 'any flapper' will not work. If that were the case I would not have started this post. When the cord becomes trapped in tree branches, the wings of the decoy bird are then stuck out in the conventional flapper position. This then has the effect of turning away every bird in the County. It is for that reason that I am trying to source an electric flapper which will fold the wings down at the rest position after use.

• 1 month later...

There is an electric flapper that goes onto a lofting pole, Talk to Sarah at UK Shootwarehouse it's an ff2

I can assure you that 'any flapper' will not work. If that were the case I would not have started this post. When the cord becomes trapped in tree branches, the wings of the decoy bird are then stuck out in the conventional flapper position. This then has the effect of turning away every bird in the County. It is for that reason that I am trying to source an electric flapper which will fold the wings down at the rest position after use.

Sorry, I don't believe it would. Why would it not work the same as a flapper in the field?

Can't help with the source of a electric flapper that closes its wings when stationary, but i can understand your view in wanting the dead bird to look more realistic.Like you I have one of the original Semark manual flappers (being an old codger!) and back in the day when pigeons were gullible, it worked a treat. Main problem i had was either the dog or yours truly tripping over the cord! I have been experimenting for a while with a Turbo flappper on lofting poles, i'm on the Mk 3 version now,with a wire down to the ground, connecting to timer & battery. I tried running the wire down the inside of the poles, but that was a pain with the slack required when shipping & unshipping poles.The main problem now is the weight of the dead pigeon on the top of 6 or 7 sections of pole! You guys would have wet yourselves watching me with the winds we've had round here this February! Onwards& upwards :lol: :lol:

Can't help with the source of a electric flapper that closes its wings when stationary, but i can understand your view in wanting the dead bird to look more realistic.Like you I have one of the original Semark manual flappers (being an old codger!) and back in the day when pigeons were gullible, it worked a treat. Main problem i had was either the dog or yours truly tripping over the cord! I have been experimenting for a while with a Turbo flappper on lofting poles, i'm on the Mk 3 version now,with a wire down to the ground, connecting to timer & battery. I tried running the wire down the inside of the poles, but that was a pain with the slack required when shipping & unshipping poles.The main problem now is the weight of the dead pigeon on the top of 6 or 7 sections of pole! You guys would have wet yourselves watching me with the winds we've had round here this February! Onwards& upwards :lol: :lol:

I've done the same using a hpyafllap being so light theres not probelm, yo1u just have to pick a spot where it wont catch its wings, IVe had one 30 feet u a tree, with no power loss from the battery, looked reall good too.