Eye dominance confusion.

Ben W.

Evening everyone, hope you are all well.

I am right handed for most tasks but have always shot left handed, it just feels natural for some reason. I have tried to establish my eye dominance in an attempt to understand/improve my shotgunning technique and to satisfy my curiosity.

So I point at an object with my left finger, shut my right eye and it doesn't move....left eye dominant. Great, makes sense. Point at an object with my right finger, shut my right eye again and the finger shifts and I'm no longer pointing at the object....right eye dominant. It's not consistent, as it seems to chop and change all the time.

Does anyone suffer the same shift in dominance? If so how do you manage it? One eye open or two? I know most people say two is best for depth perception but at the end of the day if the muzzle isn't pointing where I think it is no amount of depth perception will help surely.

Hi mate.

I have a similar problem with inconsistant eye dominence. Sometimes when I pick the gun up its perfect, other times I see down the left side, however I can actualy switch between them whilst looking down the barell. Its wierd and really offputting.

I brought the eye correction bead for about £20 and I find that this works really well. It works by only lighting up when you are looking directly down the barrel therefore making the correct eye focused. The trick is to not look at the bead but look straing past it to what your shooting and it lines up perfect.

Hope this helps

Yep u may have independent eyes get u to an optician !

Seriously though I have that too and can slip from left to right eye dominance sometimes but one eye (the left for me ) is dominant most of the time. Its only if my glasses left lens is misted and my right clear that it can affect my shotgun mount.

Does this help ?

It definitely helps, it's clear I need something to draw my focus and I like the idea of a correction bead but can't find a source online. Are you able to provide a link at all Mark? If not don't worry I can have a proper look when I get in. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best shot with a shotgun (always been a rifle man) but until I understand and address what my eyes are doing I'll never improve.

I'm the same too. Generally right eye, but when it gets bored the left takes over.I have always shot right handed. I find if I either squint my left a little or sometimes simply closing the left for a quick second with the gun mounted then going back to both eyes open helps me.

It definitely helps, it's clear I need something to draw my focus and I like the idea of a correction bead but can't find a source online. Are you able to provide a link at all Mark? If not don't worry I can have a proper look when I get in. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best shot with a shotgun (always been a rifle man) but until I understand and address what my eyes are doing I'll never improve.

I've just taken some of guns that have come into me PM your address and I'll post you one up if you make a small donation to Scotty's Little Soldiers charity.

I am not sure I follow your actions at the start of this thread ! In particular the checking using the right and left finger ?????

The way to establish eye dominance is to stand square to the object and point at it with the finger of one hand keeping both eyes open.

Then without moving the head, shut each eye in turn. As you have then noted, you then check which eye produces the apparent displacement.

If I have misread your explanation, I`m sorry. But left and right fingers have got nought to do with it.

Edited by JJsDad

I am not sure I follow your actions at the start of this thread ! In particular the checking using the right and left finger ?????

+1

It makes no difference wwhich finger you use!

Point at an object with both eyes open. Shut an eye, if it lines up, thats your dominant eye, if you have to move your finger to realign it, then thats your non dominant eye!

Evening everyone, hope you are all well.

I am right handed for most tasks but have always shot left handed, it just feels natural for some reason. I have tried to establish my eye dominance in an attempt to understand/improve my shotgunning technique and to satisfy my curiosity.

So I point at an object with my left finger, shut my right eye and it doesn't move....left eye dominant. Great, makes sense. Point at an object with my right finger, shut my right eye again and the finger shifts and I'm no longer pointing at the object....right eye dominant. It's not consistent, as it seems to chop and change all the time.

Does anyone suffer the same shift in dominance? If so how do you manage it? One eye open or two? I know most people say two is best for depth perception but at the end of the day if the muzzle isn't pointing where I think it is no amount of depth perception will help surely.

Im sorry that doesn't make sense. I'm a right handed person, but i have absolute dominance in the left eye, i've shot left handed ever since my father spotted the eye dominance when i was a young lad, back in the days when the world was in black and white. It doesn't matter which finger i use, or on which hand, if i point at an object with both eyes open then close my right eye then i'm still pointing at the target. If i were to close the left eye then i'm aiming way off to the left.

regards,

As Churchill said point a finger at an object with both eyes open.

Close left eye lines up still right eye dominant not lined up Central or left dominant.

Don't move open left eye

Close right eye lines up still left eye dominate not lined up Central or right eye dominant.

If you line up on neither right or left central dominance.

All very easy but only a check with a gun in the shoulder will total confirm this for shooting.

As Churchill said point a finger at an object with both eyes open.

Close left eye lines up still right eye dominant not lined up Central or left dominant.

Don't move open left eye

Close right eye lines up still left eye dominate not lined up Central or right eye dominant.

If you line up on neither right or left central dominance.

All very easy but only a check with a gun in the shoulder will total confirm this for shooting.

Thanks for adding that WelshWarrior, i always forget about central dominance as i don't suffer from it.

To the OP. Try extending your arm, make a circle with your forefinger and thumb, then with both eyes open look at a distant object the move your hand in slowly to your face, if it covers your left eye then your left eye dominant, if it covers your right eye then your right eye dominant. If it hits your nose then i suggest selling your guns and use the circle you just made to do some one handed web surfing.

Hope that helps. :whistling:

+1

It makes no difference wwhich finger you use!

Point at an object with both eyes open. Shut an eye, if it lines up, thats your dominant eye, if you have to move your finger to realign it, then thats your non dominant eye!

That's **** backwards! It should read " if it lines up, THE EYE THAT IS STILL OPEN IS your dominant eye" (if it doesn't line up, then the shut one is).

Thanks for the posts and you are correct, it shouldn't matter which finger I use to point. My point was that my eye dominance appears to change, sometimes it appears left however other times I appear to be right. I can't seem to pin point it to a specific eye so hence my confusion.

I have tried the circle with the forefinger and thumb and get the same effect, I was walking around the flat randomly pointing and circling objects in the distance and the better half thought I was having a seizure.