Squirrel Question

Theskyfox

Hi Guys,

Just printed off this years General License (I like to keep a copy on me when out shooting as it helps satisfy any questions). The license obviously covers birds such as woodpigeon etc...but is there another one around that lists squirrels/rabbits? Only ask as there was an article in the Daily Fail recently about a guy getting done for causing 'unnecessary suffering' to a grey squirrel he shot and failed to kill (see below).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263806/The-Verminator-Pensioner-hauled-court-taking-air-rifle-squirrel.html

Interestingly, nothing has been said about whether he had his airgun confiscated or tested or not (he poses in a few pictures with it) and its probably safe to say its massively under 12ftlbs....(but thats out of scope of the question).

-Andrew

I think the reason he was done was because it took him 5 shots and it STILL wasn't dead!

I shot one once,back of the head - good shot. Went to pick up and it tried to bite me! So I switfly coshed it and put it in the bag and had it f or tea. Simple.

5 shots and then vets, X-Ray's, Putting it down... what a load of tosh. Just hit it over the head and be done with it!

They are hardy little critters, and you need either a good grain weight pellet, and a good shot placement to kill one. They now get HMR'd in the head as they go on the ground and that's job done.

Shot one in the head last week that continued to gasp on the floor. I wasn't sure if it was nerves or not so put an extra pellet in him, job done.

They are very tough critters but it's our responsibility to make sure suffering is minimal.

The vet that said that it should be put down must be on a wind up.

Just had a quick look elsewhere too...apparently its illegal to release them into the wild once they'ev been trapped....so even if the Vet had received a pellet-free squizzer...it'd have been meeting its maker anyway :lol:

-Andrew

i think there is a license the RSPCA or other organisations can apply for that allows them to release up to a certain amount of squirrel a year

not 100% sure of numbers

Colin

What horrible neighbors he must have!

Why is that,,,

it is old news,, the total idiot was putting feed out to entice the squirrels into his garden, he then shot the squirrel 5 times with an old air rifle, he then decided to leave the dying squirrel (which still wasn,t dead )and ****** off out whilst it suffered,

why he didn,t put it out of its misery is only his guess,but to then leave the poor thing slowly dying in agony is in my eyes totally wrong,

he deserves everything he gets and should never be allowed to own or hold a gun again,

I shoot plenty of greys and I would never dream of leaving one to suffer, the man is a total idiot

atb Evo

Why is that,,,

it is old news,, the total idiot was putting feed out to entice the squirrels into his garden, he then shot the squirrel 5 times with an old air rifle, he then decided to leave the dying squirrel (which still wasn,t dead )and ****** off out whilst it suffered,

why he didn,t put it out of its misery is only his guess,but to then leave the poor thing slowly dying in agony is in my eyes totally wrong,

he deserves everything he gets and should never be allowed to own or hold a gun again,

I shoot plenty of greys and I would never dream of leaving one to suffer, the man is a total idiot

atb Evo

Yes I know all that, but he is obviously a bit doddery in his old age he didn't mean any harm. In a community a neighbor would of gone round and helped sort it out, maybe got a friend who could finish it off with a shovel or something. Then had a long talk with him. You know? Community? Family?

Yes I know all that, but he is obviously a bit doddery in his old age he didn't mean any harm. In a community a neighbor would of gone round and helped sort it out, maybe got a friend who could finish it off with a shovel or something. Then had a long talk with him. You know? Community? Family?

Hhahah, no offence but I don't think mentioning a shovel in this story would have helped him, other than dig himself a much deeper hole of pain heading his way!! :whistling:

i think there is a license the RSPCA or other organisations can apply for that allows them to release up to a certain amount of squirrel a year

not 100% sure of numbers

Colin

Anyone can apply for a licence to release Grey Squirrel, VERY FEW are granted, but it seems year on year the RSPCA get a few! :good:

Hi Guys,

Just printed off this years General License (I like to keep a copy on me when out shooting as it helps satisfy any questions). The license obviously covers birds such as woodpigeon etc...but is there another one around that lists squirrels/rabbits? Only ask as there was an article in the Daily Fail recently about a guy getting done for causing 'unnecessary suffering' to a grey squirrel he shot and failed to kill (see below).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263806/The-Verminator-Pensioner-hauled-court-taking-air-rifle-squirrel.html

Interestingly, nothing has been said about whether he had his airgun confiscated or tested or not (he poses in a few pictures with it) and its probably safe to say its massively under 12ftlbs....(but thats out of scope of the question).

-Andrew

That was nothing to do with it being on the GL, it was under Cruelty grounds!

The Government, FC, DEFRA has had an active policy or Removing the grey from this country for about 7-8 years! :yes::good:

Anyone can apply for a licence to release Grey Squirrel, VERY FEW are granted, but it seems year on year the RSPCA get a few! :good:

was watching some wildlife program once and remember seeing it but couldn't remember how may they could release is it 12 per year or something like that??

colin

Who counts how many are released by the silly communistic society?

I wager they loose the lot!

U.

Haha my sister released a squirrel back into the wild "Because it looked too cute to have killed" - albeit it had done a few thousand pounds of damage to her loft! The irony is that I eat a lot of squirrels and on her last time at mine when I had game stew (Which she associates as me cooking rabbit, pheasant and pigeon in a casserole) I also chucked a couple of squirrels in there too. It's a good meat and very underrated.

was watching some wildlife program once and remember seeing it but couldn't remember how may they could release is it 12 per year or something like that??

colin

I saw a list somewhere, may even have been on Natural England site, (I'm sure someone can dig up some figures) there were only a very small number of release licences granted in the list I saw, maybe 12 for the year (can't remember, I know it was low) and the RSPCA got about half I seem to remember!

Frankly I don't understand it, whilst on one hand the Government is actively trying to remove the Grey from our shores, the Government is also allowing their release into the wild! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Frankly I don't understand it, whilst on one hand the Government is actively trying to remove the Grey from our shores, the Government is also allowing their release into the wild! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Dekers; you could use the same sentence, but swap the word squirrel for immigrant, now can you understand, its the government were talking about here