Pigeons on a wild and woolly day.

JDog

I saw the forecast on Friday was for more of the same ie strong winds and rain so I invited two hardy types to join me shooting today.

The plan was for the three of us to go into separate spinneys (not large enough to be woods) without hides or decoys and just keep the large pigeon flock moving around the farm. We were in position by 10:30 and the shooting commenced straight away. These were not decoyed birds but birds which were dancing on a strong wind and they were never going to be easy.

I walked the boundaries having placed the other two and I scared a few out of some poplars without any real hope of success. The others started shooting almost straight away and I must say I was envious of the number of shots they were having. Eventually I spotted a flight line into the farm, and the rape, and I tucked myself into some scrubby bushes at the end of a spinney and began to shoot a few. These birds were not easy. With a dip of a wing they could be away and gone without a shot being fired.

The shooting started at 10:30 and by 1:00 it was finished and as we congregated before heading to the pub we counted out 63 pigeons picked between us which to me was some achievement given the conditions and none of the pigeons were shot at 70 yards.

WP_000066.jpg

WP_000063.jpg

WP_000063

WP_000066

Edited by JDog