Internet protection

steve_b_wales

I'd avoid McAfee and Norton (both bloated and they still let a lot through)

Avast is superb and free.

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

If you have a Barclays account and use online banking you can get Kaspersky (which IMHO is the best around) for free

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Freeinternetsecuritysoftware/P1242557966961

honestly, waste of money. free basic protection is fine, along with windows defender.

Surely if something is free then the manufacturer attaches no value to it, in which case its worthless and not very good.?

My experience of free software is just this to be honest.

You get what your pay for..in anything.

I use Eset after being recommended it by our works IT consultant ( His company has a 175million pound national account holding) and it just works away in the background and is brilliant.

I have MacAfee via BT net protect plus also on the kids laptops where good levels of security are really needed...and that I have found is equally as good...I'm sure a massive global company like BT wouldn't partner with MacAfee if it wasn't. !!

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I have always used norton and never had an issue,I am interested why does free security seem popular and if its that good why is it free.Free would initially put me off or do they cash in on selling your intrests to 3rd parties,surely nobody does out for nowt.Sorry for this question but just curious.

I have always used norton and never had an issue,I am interested why does free security seem popular and if its that good why is it free.Free would initially put me off or do they cash in on selling your intrests to 3rd parties,surely nobody does out for nowt.Sorry for this question but just curious.

I too have no problems with Norton and have used it for years and it always does what it says on the box - cannot see why the Mods are against it - Norton was being advertised at the bottom of this thread a few moments ago - maybe I am missing something??????

Norton is massively bloated in terms of it's system overheads, it also lets a lot of malware through.

They also didn't agree to be part of av-comparitives tests which says a lot in my book

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/avc_sum_201312_en.pdf

I had to fix a couple of PCs last year for friends which were infected with Malware - both had Norton 360 installed, which remained oblivious to the infections.

I used Kaspersky's standalone scanner/cleaner in both instances which detected and removed all the threats.