The Ukrainian Army

woodcock11

There has been plenty about the rights and wrongs of Britain, Europe, the Unites States etc supporting the new Ukrainian Government in Kiev and any form of intervention and I have my own thoughts on that.

However, this post is not going down that route. I have been watching the behaviour and conduct of the Ukrainian army in the Crimea, who are being besieged by Russian forces and I have to say that I am mightily impressed by their dignity and courage.

It must be grim for them not knowing what sort of fate lies in the store for them. The easy option would be for them to throw in their lot with the Russians but - as professional soldiers - their loyalty is to the Ukraine - their country.

They have my own - professional - admiration and I wish them well

However, this post is not going down that route. I have been watching the behaviour and conduct of the Ukrainian army in the Crimea, who are being besieged by Russian forces and I have to say that I am mightily impressed by their dignity and courage.

It's actuially the opposite. The ones that have been sent to the Crimea have been resigning and deserting in droves and joining the Autonomous Region of Crimea.

It does all seem ...'cordial'.

Regarding the wider situation... The US and UK, frankly need to keep a good distance. Their past record of marching in to warzones isn't great.

This time, the opponent might just give a bloodied nose.

only an idiot would get involved, so i guess the powers of be could be thinking about going in if we are not careful .

It's actuially the opposite. The ones that have been sent to the Crimea have been resigning and deserting in droves and joining the Autonomous Region of Crimea.

Not sure where this comes from - every television news bulletin this evening shows just how brave and loyal to their country the Ukrainian forces in Crimea are.

I have no idea Mr Steppenwolf if you have ever served in Her Majesty's or any other Armed Forces - I have and would fell both proud and privileged to have these guys serving alongside me.

May God keep them safe.....

By far the most dangerous situation we have seen in years, a huge, well resourced, well trained and committed military force controlled by a macho power crazed nutter!!

He won't care about political, financial or any other sanctions which leaves very few options to influence the situation.

By far the most dangerous situation we have seen in years, a huge, well resourced, well trained and committed military force controlled by a macho power crazed nutter!!

He won't care about political, financial or any other sanctions which leaves very few options to influence the situation.

A perfect situation for the Russians then? No leverage?

It does all seem ...'cordial'.

Regarding the wider situation... The US and UK, frankly need to keep a good distance. Their past record of marching in to warzones isn't great.

This time, the opponent might just give a bloodied nose.

Neither the US/NATO or Russia want war.

The Russians know they can't stand up to the US military in a ground war, and the costs to the US would be too much considering what's at stake. Plus it's an election year.

To those that say don't get involved I ask do you walk away when someone is getting a beating in the street?

If America had chipped in sooner during ww2 it would of been sorted earlier .

As much as I don't want to be involved in another world war you can't let people be bullied. We're only a small island so would it be acceptable for someone to take over us ?

These blooming idiots need getting off this planet.

I can't stand life being wasted especially when theirs kids involved

It's a family dispute.

Leave them to it. No good ever comes by getting involved in a 'domestic'.

Correct. The West's (Europe, Britain and America) habit of intervening where nations and regions in battle with themselves over their identity by favouring one side over the other, militarily or diplomatically, in the hope of manipulating the outcome to expand its own political ideology around the world is imperialist and foments more trouble than it solves. Both sides in the Ukrainian conflict, those who look east and those who look west, have a valid case. They must sort it out themselves and if that means partition, so be it. All the rest of the world can and should do is encourage a peaceful resolution and offer mediation if required. It is NOT their place to decide what is "best" for Ukraine.

The Russian ambassador to the UN was correct when he said this was a fraternal matter between Russians and Slavs and the West should stop treating the worlds trouble spots as a geo-political playground.

I have been watching the behaviour and conduct of the Ukrainian army in the Crimea, who are being besieged by Russian forces and I have to say that I am mightily impressed by their dignity and courage.

It must be grim for them not knowing what sort of fate lies in the store for them. The easy option would be for them to throw in their lot with the Russians but - as professional soldiers - their loyalty is to the Ukraine - their country.

They are indeed brave men, who have shown immense courage and discipline under extreme pressure and provocation.

What happens next though?

I remember seeing the news report of about 300 Ukrainian Air Force personnel walking onto their base, only to be stopped by armed Russian military, who fired over their heads. What stood out was the comment from one of the Ukrainian airmen, who said, "We have America behind us, we have the whole world behind us".

Those men must now feel completely let down and abandoned by the US, NATO, the UN and of course the EU. What they do next is anybody's guess, but without the support they so obviously expected who could blame them if they were to throw in their lot with the Russians?

And what of the thousands of protesters waving their national flags, alongside the flag of the EU in Kiev and other western Ukraine city's. What now for them? Have their dreams of closer links with Europe been sacrificed for German gas and French arms deals? It seems so.

If I was one of those who had protested, and seeing the impotence of the EU in this crisis, I think I'd be throwing my hand in with Mad Vlad.