Oscar Pistorious

bullet boy

Has it been explained yet why he thought the intruder would be in a bathroom in any event? Not the first place to rob I would have thought. Unless he reckons they climbed in through the bathroom window?

Well said! Exactly, and even then you would take cover behind something and call out! Would you shoot a rustling bush with your shotgun in case its a rabbit? No way!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps he's one of those types who would drive like a lunatic (with his girlfriend in the car) after a row just to burn off aggression / make a point (i.e. be a knob).

Perhaps he's also the type to lose his rag and unload through a closed door. Whether he really thought she was behind there is another matter. There is this 'reckless homicide' verdict apparently, so I suppose he might well get that.

Very sad circumstances, but irrespective wherever in the world you live you don't shoot anything with a lethal wepon you can't see. Its just common sence. Would you shoot through a door in your house where your loved ones could be? I doubt very much so....

Hmmmm, your thoughts work for this country but not others.

Have a look at the bullet manufactures web sites for handgun ammo, there are many which are made to stop intruders, then look on YouTube or boxotruth for tests of those bullets and listen to how they describe the bullets ability to penetrate through 'dry wall' and still be 'effective' against intruders.

The wife has a SA friend, with the things she tells me I think shoot first ask questions later is a good approach!

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get off

The wife has a SA friend, with the things she tells me I think shoot first ask questions later is a good approach!

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get off

South Africans can be very twitchy about intruders due to the high level violence which can occur during a home invasion - though i'm not sure if that alone will get him off.

For those questioning the natives mentality, how dangerous they can be and how easy they are to turn have a read of this thread http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/280338-rwandan-genocide/?do=findComment&comment=2498543

My brother in law does business with a SA fish farm which employs a good number of locals who he gets on with great.....the farm building has bars over all the windows, double locked windows and doors and the owner sleeps with two pistols one on each cabinet by the bed, why?

Because his employees would break in and kill during the night whilst peed, that's their mentality!

My Dad lived in Jo-burg for around 30 years and they used dogs running loose as deterrents to any burglars. In the house when they were out and in the garden when they were in. He didn`t have a gun at all.

OP had a gated community and still had guns, he shot through a closed door after leaving his bed which should have had his girlfriend in it. No matter what he may have thought he is guilty of killing her, the hard part is proving if it was murder.

If you were alone with your beloved in a house in the dark and suspected there was a burglar locked in the bathroom what would you do?

1. Shoot the suspect through the door.
  2. Call the police and high tail out of there.
  3. Make sure the love of your life is safe, wake her up (because she’s led next to you) and say “Honey I think we have an intruder.”

I think he’s guilty has hell, but will probably get off. In SA the guy is a God and transcends the legal system. Dare I say it this is why they have chosen a black judge, a white one could never acquit him there would be riots…I have 8 family members currently living in Durban and Jo’berg and they think he’s done nothing wrong at all and Steenkamp is the guilty party !!

South Africans can be very twitchy about intruders due to the high level violence which can occur during a home invasion - though i'm not sure if that alone will get him off.

I have relatives in Jo'berg. They moved there in the 1950's and raised their two sons there, who now in turn have family. Apart from the fact they're all armed, they reckon the place is no worse than anywhere else. There are areas to avoid, but reckon the same can be said about most places.They consider Pistorious as guilty as sin.

Parents holidayed there and loved it; and I've been asked over many times but the place doesn't really appeal to me.

Apart from the fact they're all armed, they reckon the place is no worse than anywhere else.

Alot of South Africans think that - those that do live in a bubble. The place has one of the worst violent crime rates in the world outside of a warzone.

All I can think is that if I was in that situation I'd back myself into a corner with good visibility and have my wife with me. Could the intruder have got from the bathroom to them before he could shoot if he'd done that? I doubt it.

He got angry and shot her, simple as that. The guy is a nutcase.

All I can think is that if I was in that situation I'd back myself into a corner with good visibility and have my wife with me. Could the intruder have got from the bathroom to them before he could shoot if he'd done that? I doubt it.

He got angry and shot her, simple as that. The guy is a nutcase.

+1

Alot of South Africans think that - those that do live in a bubble. The place has one of the worst violent crime rates in the world outside of a warzone.

Fair enough, but they certainly don't live in a bubble and they consider it a safe enough place to bring up their kids. Perhaps you have to live there to get the full picture.

Fair enough, but they certainly don't live in a bubble and they consider it a safe enough place to bring up their kids. Perhaps you have to live there to get the full picture.

I lived there for 12 years. My wife much longer. I know several people who have lived through home invasions, and some much worse. I did the whole gun under the pillow thing myself. Never drive with your doors unlocked or your windows open due to hijackings. I think you have to live outside SA to realise how abnormal life is there. Lots of people can't leave so try to justify staying.

I lived there for 12 years. My wife much longer. I know several people who have lived through home invasions, and some much worse. I did the whole gun under the pillow thing myself. Never drive with your doors unlocked or your windows open due to hijackings. I think you have to live outside SA to realise how abnormal life is there. Lots of people can't leave so try to justify staying.

My relatives can leave anytime they like; they have dual nationality.

Has it been explained yet why he thought the intruder would be in a bathroom in any event? Not the first place to rob I would have thought. Unless he reckons they climbed in through the bathroom window?

Perhaps he thought it was a **** burglar? :oops:

(rhymes with bird) :no:

Edited by poontang

My relatives can leave anytime they like; they have dual nationality.

More often a financial issue. It is R18 to the pound now. After a certain age, it becomes very difficult to start over. Look, plenty of people live fine lives there - certainly better lifestyles than than many could hpoe to have in the UK - but that comes at a safety cost and doesn't detract from the reality of violent crime there.