problem with neighbours dog

thegazbo

I have a problem with a neighbours dog, it attacks my dog and others and they wont muzzle it or keep it on a leash.

I am sick to death of it, and so are quiet a few others but the dogs owners just don't care.

They seem to enjoy the confrontation.

I put mine on a leash if any other dog is around and try to avoid them but I makes no difference at all.

Advice please as it isn't a dangerous dog to humans only other dogs.

Gazbo

Surely if its running round attacking other dogs at will something can be done by council / police? Failing that next time you go out take a big stick and wear some steel toecap boots might make it think twice after a good kick and wack, although it sounds like the owner could do with this more than the dog for letting this happen in the first place. How long before it decides to have a go at a little kid. What sort of dog is it?

Unfortunately,until it bites a human-it has not committed a criminal offence so the Police wont entertain doing anything.You might want to try asking your council dog warden if he/she will have a word with the owner,but my experience of the one who does this patch is they're as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

How approchable is your neighbour? Is he/she likely to fly off the handle if you mention their dogs behaviour? I know we all like to think of our dogs as harmless,but some people dont or wont recognise aggression.

the dog is a dalmatian and I lost my temper a month or so back with him I told him if my dog gets attacked again I will attack him, but why should I be the one who suffers for defending my dog. Wigan council are more than useless (Labour council since 1918) and police are not interested

It only attacks on public land if it was on mine it would be an ex dog by now

the dog is a dalmatian and I lost my temper a month or so back with him I told him if my dog gets attacked again I will attack him, but why should I be the one who suffers for defending my dog. Wigan council are more than useless (Labour council since 1918) and police are not interested

http://www.mdcexports.co.uk/?p=quickrelease

How about one of these? I would take it whilst out on a walk and if the dog gets yours you could just restrain it?- In the real world it would possibly be hard and may provoke something but I sure as anything wouldn't be able to put up with any dog attacking my dog. Just need to know the legalities

Does anybody know the law regarding defending your dog during an attack? i.e if a dog was to attack your dog (and yours was on the lead) is it legally acceptable to dispatch the other dog?

I know it's not the answer, just interested to know. I witnessed a Yorkie being shredded years a go and it still haunts me, and if I was to get a dog I certainly couldn't stand by and see it getting hurt.

You need to examine "property laws" as that is what dogs are seen as in law. Can you defend your own property from damage?...if some scroat was mashing your car are you entitled to intervene...Yes you are

In the case of a dog attacking YOUR dog you can take all necessary steps to protect your property. I would imagine, THOUGH I AM NOT CERTAIN, up to and including destroying the offending animal, Certainly a boot with a pair of hard boots or a good wallop with a stick is "reasonable"....you may want to report it a number of times both to council AND police...even if they dont "do" anything, it establishes a "history". encourage others affected to do likewise.

You could spray it with lemon oil...dose it with pepper, Spray disinfectant like "dettox" (but use aldi's cheaper brand) is an effective chokeing agent....

This is a worry pretty much any time I go out. Being my dog is still a pup and wants to play, I do worry he could fall prey to a dog which will attack. he gets the odd nip which isn't an issue in my book when one dog warns another, it's the frenzied attack which worries me.

There is one chap who has actually told me his Akita will attack if another dog goes near his. I don't understand the mindset of these people and why they won't safeguard themselves by muzzling whilst they are in public.

The dog would stop doing it if it was to meet a bigger, aggressive dog. Can you not 'borrow' a dog to walk when you expect the dalmation to be about? Its not the dogs fault but dog discipline between themselves is better than even trying to talk to a stupid owner. Just make sure you have the borrowed dog on a 'slip lead' so that it is able to fully 'defend' itself. If you were closer you take our Rotti for a walk, that would solve the problem.

The only other thing which perhaps would encourage them to control the dalmations behaviour is if everyone who's dog was attacked stuffed the chap with a huge vet bill ?

If there's any help at law, I'll post again.

a german shepard attacted my springer on sat I just kicked it, it stud and just looked at me, after I gave the person walking it a ********* he told me its always like that, he said its not mine im just looking after it for the weekend, so whats he doing walking a dog he dosnt know off the lead ? luckley my dogs ok.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/controlling-your-dog-in-public You need to point out the responsibility stated in the above article - if they dont comply, write a brief letter to the Government Department concerned and explain what your Council is not doing. A quick word with a local MP might solve the problem and again, if he does nothing - get on to the relevant department.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/controlling-your-dog-in-public You need to point out the responsibility stated in the above article - if they dont comply, write a brief letter to the Government Department concerned and explain what your Council is not doing. A quick word with a local MP might solve the problem and again, if he does nothing - get on to the relevant department.

Our local MP is Andy Burnham and you really would not want to hear what they call him around here, it take 6 months to get an appointment and then it gets cancelled a couple of weeks before its due and it all starts again.

Lets just say its a good job PW is censored

This is a worry pretty much any time I go out. Being my dog is still a pup and wants to play, I do worry he could fall prey to a dog which will attack. he gets the odd nip which isn't an issue in my book when one dog warns another, it's the frenzied attack which worries me.

There is one chap who has actually told me his Akita will attack if another dog goes near his. I don't understand the mindset of these people and why they won't safeguard themselves by muzzling whilst they are in public.

This is what most Akita's are like. :no:

Edited by fse10

A tried and tested method is to carry a can of deodrant with you and spray it in the face.The smellier the better-Brut 33 is ideal.You dont need to aim for the eyes because its their nose you really want.

Up until last year (thankfully it died) every dog walker was terrorised by a particular dog which regulary escaped its garden and was common to see people with doggie mace.

You need to examine "property laws" as that is what dogs are seen as in law. Can you defend your own property from damage?...if some scroat was mashing your car are you entitled to intervene...Yes you are

In the case of a dog attacking YOUR dog you can take all necessary steps to protect your property. I would imagine, THOUGH I AM NOT CERTAIN, up to and including destroying the offending animal, Certainly a boot with a pair of hard boots or a good wallop with a stick is "reasonable"....you may want to report it a number of times both to council AND police...even if they dont "do" anything, it establishes a "history". encourage others affected to do likewise.

You could spray it with lemon oil...dose it with pepper, Spray disinfectant like "dettox" (but use aldi's cheaper brand) is an effective chokeing agent....

This is where the law gets grey ie "whats reasonable"

Ive a client in glasgow whos son saw a group of neds giving a guy a pasting as he drove by. His son is a marine and was literally just home from leave; he intervened and chased them off. when he was helping the guy to his feet 3 of them came back with tools; long and short of it, he gave the 3 a hiding and 2 of them ended up in hospital with some serious injuries. The good Samaritan was locked up and charged with all sorts, and in the end had to pay the neds compo along with a big fine and was court martialed. The law can defend scum too so just make sure whatever you do is through the right channels or done by some one else and you've a good alibi!!

If your neighbours dog is attacking your dog in your garden or in a public place then I'd say it is an offence.

If your dog has recieved any injuries, photos and notes from a vet would be good evidence.

Here's the bit of legislation. https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

At the very least report it to the police.

ATB

If your neighbours dog is attacking your dog in your garden or in a public place then I'd say it is an offence.

If your dog has recieved any injuries, photos and notes from a vet would be good evidence.

Here's the bit of legislation. https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

At the very least report it to the police.

ATB

The voice of reason....

:shaun:

Report it to the police and get an incident number, if it keeps happening keep reporting it. The law states that your dog must be under control if not on a lead which his clearly isn't so he's committing an offence.

I'd take a can of deodorant out with you and give it a blast in its face when it comes near. The main problem is the owner which will only get sorted by everyone constantly reporting it.