Daystate Wolverine 303

Crash72

Just think twice about a .22 lr instead, it makes more practical sense and a lot cheaper. £350 will get you a good one and £50 for 500 subsonic hollow points, no charging and very quiet also dead easy to maintain over decades of use and abuse in the field. Availability of guns and ammo is off the shelf.

I've got a slot for FAC i've yet to fill. But i'm looking at something with a bigger shot count like the Wolverine B Type doing 30ft lbs. To me this version is far more practical then the .303 version as i'll get about 50/55 good shots from one fill which is ample for most hunting trips. Where as you'll literally will have to carrt you charge tank around with you to replenish every few shots when you run low on air.

I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money, if you want the .303 version then by all means get one if you can. But have think about it a bit more as its a lot of money to spend on a gun, only to find after a few weeks that it doesn't really meet your needs in the field.

As above has already stated, perhaps .22 rim would be a better way to go as their a lot cheaper, more powerfull and cheap to feed. I got a .22 rim myself and although getting a FAC airgun will be useful and have its rightfull place in my cabinet. I wont be with out my rimmy just for practicality sake.

But with out repeating myself the final decision is yours, i just hope you dont regret it to much if you decide to buy the gun and a bit later on the you find you made the wrong choice

ATB

DD

Edited by deputy dog

IMHO the 303 was never intended as a practical gun-more of a PR exercise to launch the new action. There is nothing that puts it above the .22lr in real terms, the r/f is ultra efficient and cheap as well as being quieter and far more versatile but as already said-its your money!

I never could see any logic in the 303 wolverine concept. Expensive gun , few shots to a refill, reviewers claim they are noisy with a curved trejectory to the heavy pellets : all to get 100ft pounds which is the equivalent of a relatively cheep ,handy .22lr which can be fitted with a moderator.

Thanks for all the info folks. I understand what your saying in regards to rimfires but I have decided on FAC air.

If not a Wolverine 303 it will be another air rifle probably Daystate in the 40ft-60ft pound range.

My main quarry is pigeons, squirrels and corvids.

Thanks for all the info folks. I understand what your saying in regards to rimfires but I have decided on FAC air.

If not a Wolverine 303 it will be another air rifle probably Daystate in the 40ft-60ft pound range.

My main quarry is pigeons, squirrels and corvids.

If you shooting up into trees stick to a 30ft lb .22 FAC air. in .22. Once you get to 60 ft lb you are into special pellets and fall out ranges and safety considerations not dis similar to the .22 lr anyhow (40ft lb .22 lr CCI quiets are getting a good rep at present). Many struggle to make the break from the airguns they are used to towards the more practical rimfires though. Did you know that a .22 LR can fire different ammo from around 24 ft lb up to around 150 ft lb? Even shot shells! Not all of it is as accurate or useful as the next in all guns but isn't that the same tale with airguns and different pellet /power settings.

At least go out and try a RF before you go and blow near a grand of your hard earned on a heavy lump of marketing and gimmickry. I retain a 30 ft lb mk1 rapid for use on my ticket (a friend has it now) it can do only an odd job better than a rf or a std 12ft lb airgun

IMHO you'll be better getting the B type doing about 30/ft lbs. Shot count is better and using a 16 grain pellet etc you'll get a nice flat tragectory when shooting.

I know a few people with FAC air now and their bumping rabbits off out to 75/80 yrds with those sort of power levels.

IMO with FAC AIR your okay to 40flb, after that go .22lr.

I love my FAC AIR and chose it over .22lr as its .22 @ 30ftlb, but If I was wanting the extra power of the 303 @ 100ftlb then I would just go .22lr and buy a CZ with SAK mod and get a laminate stock and barrel chop and put some nice glass on top.

ATB

Matt

Some great info folks and lots to think about before pressing the purchase button.

As most of my shooting is tree shooting for pigeons, corvids and tree rats I suppose the Wolverine 303 is not the best option. What I have gathered via the forum and friends is FAC air in the 30ft -40ftlb range will be better suited for this. The shooting range I'm looking at is between 50-100 yards max.

Any recommendations on a .22 in this power range with a max budget of £1000 not including glass though if I can get away with something in the £800 range even better.

Daystate is my first option but would love to know your thoughts and recommendations. Air Arms? What rifles shoot 40ftlb?

Sounds like you are doing very simlar work / shooting to me. I didnt need a large shot count so went for a Daystate Huntsman, for the larger shot count I would go Air Ranger or Air Wolf in .22 @ 30FTLB varient.

A .22 running at 28/30ftlb on 16/18Gr pellets will put all air rifle quarry down real hard and effective (bunnys hate it), you could go for 40tflb but IMO it offers little benifit for the extra air used.

ATB

Matt

Sounds good Matt.

What is the actual difference (technical specs) between 30ftlb and 40ftlb? Does anyone know? There has to be some benefit to the extra ftlb's?

Also, Daystate just release the Wolverine HP (high power) which looks real nice and gives you 15-20 shots at 60 ftlb's.

There must be a huge difference between 30/40 and 60ftlb?

I've got fac air @40ftlb, works well with bisley mags- lighter pellets it doesn't like, if I was going to do it again , I wouldn't be so concerned about the power- would look at something 28 ftlb , and use lighted pellets.

But to be honest since getting it I've barely used it, most shooting with hmr and the 22lr.

I don't know what your land is like, but using FAC rifles up into trees would make me feel uneasy. I seem to remember that a child was killed recently by a 22LR bullet that someone had shot into a tree half a mile away, who knows what a 303 air pellet would do, not as good ballistically but still a big lump.

Sounds good Matt.

What is the actual difference (technical specs) between 30ftlb and 40ftlb? Does anyone know? There has to be some benefit to the extra ftlb's?

Also, Daystate just release the Wolverine HP (high power) which looks real nice and gives you 15-20 shots at 60 ftlb's.

Because of the power at 70 yards the pellet is passing right through quarry so it makes little difference !

I recon 30ftlb is the most popular and for a good reason !

ATB

Matt

Some great info folks and lots to think about before pressing the purchase button.

As most of my shooting is tree shooting for pigeons, corvids and tree rats I suppose the Wolverine 303 is not the best option. What I have gathered via the forum and friends is FAC air in the 30ft -40ftlb range will be better suited for this. The shooting range I'm looking at is between 50-100 yards max.

Any recommendations on a .22 in this power range with a max budget of £1000 not including glass though if I can get away with something in the £800 range even better.

Daystate is my first option but would love to know your thoughts and recommendations. Air Arms? What rifles shoot 40ftlb?

your shooting at 50_100 yards up into trees then your a brave man

a tree rat 100 yards away could easily move buy the time your pellet gets to it

just my opinion though

colin

Sounds good Matt.

Somewhere between 30-40 ft lb they get pellet fussy. Your perhaps overplaying the real life effective range of FAC air with 100 yds etc. Skirted pellets are about as bad as it gets on wind etc. . Unfortunatly there is a heap of rubbish spoken on effective ranges on all airguns fac or not with what is still low power (30-40 ft lb) you need spot on shot placement and with 100yard windages running into a foot or more at times.............