Help on new Torch purchase

Psyxologos

I am after a torch for home. I quite like the Maglite range, but I am rather confused as they have an awful lot of variants. I know I want something decently bright around 20-30cm long, and I do not want to spend a fortune. What are the differences between their incadecent and the LED range? I am also not clear on how many Cells I should aim for. They have two, three and four cells from what I can see, plus variants of each of their torches named 'D', 'C' etc. Does anyone have experience with these? I would be obliged for some tips. Thanks in advance!

I would say Led Lenser are a much better torch.

L7 is probably better than a Maglite 2D and weighs about half and runs off AA batteries.

Actually in my case heavier is better. all I want is a torch that I can keep at home for when I need to go to the basement, or in the middle of the night if I hear a noise from inside the house. In other words, something that will be offering me a good beam and if needs be protect me from an intruder...

I got a 3 C maglite a few years ago and then put the led upgrade in, which did make a difference, but it now just sits in a draw and is never used.

My £10 Aldi cree is much brighter, much cheaper to run and much, much smaller.

My advice is to by a decent Cree torch and a cosh.

If nocturnal visitors are a concern, then consider a serious LED torch running on lithium batteries, with a strobe setting.

O-light, Klarus, Nitecore, Eagletac all do pocket sized torches running on 2 x CR123 or 1 x 18650, outputs in the 500/600 lumen range, with instant access to the strobe mode.

They also have multiple output levels, so you don't always need to use full power.

I would suggest a browse through the candlepower forums, where you will find more torches than you can readily shake a stick at.

Actually in my case heavier is better. all I want is a torch that I can keep at home for when I need to go to the basement, or in the middle of the night if I hear a noise from inside the house. In other words, something that will be offering me a good beam and if needs be protect me from an intruder...

The big ones have disappeared for that very reason, a useless tool of defence once attacked IMO (one failed swipe and your done for). Just review all your security if you feel this way at home

Light saber? :whistling:

Whatever make/shape/size you choose I would go LED

I buy mine off of dx.com - they have a nice selection. There is a modest investment in 18650 batteries and a charger, but they work well. Something like this:

http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-tr-3t6-xm-l-t6-5-mode-3800lm-memory-3-led-white-flashlight-black-3-x-18650-121720

But they have a huge choice - sift through them and read the reviews. Shipped from China, but i've never had an issue with delivery or customs.

A 501b is a fantastic torch and a new members on here do add ons to modify them if you wish. You can drop in a Red Led pill or any colour available or even a ir one.

DX do a new modified lens as does Ahorton.

A very flexible little torch with considerable power options.

Surefire are great torches but very expensive. I got given my surefire 6p defender but probably wouldn't have bought it as you can get cheaper alternatives which are as good. Incidentally I have replaced my surefire bulbs with a £6 cree 1000 lumins bulb from amazon and improved it no end.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getek-350Lm-UltraFire-5-Mode-Surefire/dp/B00IWGRIM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397141655&sr=8-1&keywords=5+mode+cree+surefire+1000+lumen+bulb

Maglite are outdated and really more use as a club than a torch. Overpriced and under performing compared with most contemporary flashlights.

Fir value for money and performance I don't think you can do better than the Ultrafire WF-501b. Light, bright and robust with a crenelated strike face for self defence. Good kit at a reasonable price. If you lost this you wouldn't be as gutted as you would loosing a £75 surefire !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrafire-WF-501B-Torch-Flashlight-handlebars/dp/B004UACITW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397141833&sr=8-1&keywords=501b+torch

Plus there are loads of accessories including mounts and remote pressure switches for lamping!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-Pressure-Switch-UltraFire-Flashlight/dp/B0088AF4MI/ref=pd_sim_light_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NB87FH9RV96DZMB0W00

Edited by byjovecarruthers