My woodturning hobby

Dave-UK

I would like to think that a whole sett of badgers gave up their lives to provide hair for the shaving brushes

nice work

Believe it or not Lee, they shave the badger for their hair, i know it sounds funny, ever heard the expression "as bald as a badger" then there set free and the hair grows back

Edited by Dave-UK

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your kind comments

If you can keep a secret, (from the wife) i'm going to turn an exact copy of a clay onto wood, then somehow, yet to be decided, mount the first 2 spent cartridges my wife fires with her new shotgun onto it

So far i'm thinking of using 3 spent cartridges, one as a base in the centre of the wooden clay, then the first 2 she fired suspended on some thin wire to give the illusion of being ejected. Ideas are still zipping around in my head. I know she'll love it,

I have been thinking of turning a clay on the lathe, and then cut it into three like it had been hit and moving the three bits apart about 1/2 inch. And mounting on a trophy type board. Will think about the cartridges

Dave, those are lovely pieces, you should be proud of yourself. I hope skills like yours will still exist in future generations.

Future generations, i know what you mean. My wife has made me a pen, and both my daughters like to have a go and are alway bringing me bits of wood from the nearby woods

This is my youngest Daughter aged 4 (at the time, she's now 6), having a go at making her first pen. She's always in my workshop and is very curious and loves to learn. She's also a great help when it come to tying up and sweeping the floor.

I turned the lathe off when i was going to take the photo, but she wasn't having any of it, so the lathe was on at the lowest rpm. I will teach them woodturning if there keen.

post-70021-0-48157900-1399102357_thumb.jpg

I made a set of pens for a good friend and work colleague as a wedding present. My friend lives in the Philippines and recently got married.

I was honored to find that he and his new wife used the pens i'd made them to sign his wedding vows.

He's has now gone onto bigger and better things, but it's nice to know my handmade pens are part of their new life together, even though they sealed his doom :wub:

post-70021-0-89528200-1399102882_thumb.jpg

I made a set of pens for a good friend and work colleague as a wedding present. My friend lives in the Philippines and recently got married. [/size]

I was honored to find that he and his new wife used the pens i'd made them to sign his wedding vows.[/size]

He's has now gone onto bigger and better things, but it's nice to know my handmade pens are part of their new life together, even though they sealed his doom :wub: [/size]

He may have moved onto bigger and better things already but that is a tad harsh on her as most blokes wait till later in life to find a new partner..... Lol

Out of interest Dave how much wouod you say a lathe would be?

Cheers SW

Mine is a Axminster M950 woodturning lathe, you can turn a metre between centers. Just looked and there nice looking one on flebay for £150. You can find chisels and other turning tools on flebay also.

I like Axminster tools, good quality, not to pricey and are quick to supply replacement parts

http://www.axminster.co.uk/wood-working/woodturning/woodturning-lathes/

I'd consider "gifting" one to HRH Duke of Edinburgh ... you just might receive a thank you letter with positive comments regards to the "gifted" item. Your market, should you be looking for one! .. especially in the USA would be enhanced

I'm not looking to market or sell them online, it's a hobby i'm happy to sell them for little profit, just enough to carry on making them. Last year a contractor bought 2 pens off me while i was offshore, a few weeks later i received an email from his boss asking for photos, and prices, i was quite excited. He ordered 100 pens from me for corporate gifts. At first it felt great, but then when i got home i spent the next 3 weeks making pens, i was in my shed all day, my back and shoulders hurt like hell, and i made mistakes, as i was on a deadline, so they went in the bin. If i'm not happy with the finished product it gets binned. I have several hobbies, and now have a new one, shooting clays. I love woodturning, but when i feel like it. What i like about it is there are no 2 pens the same. Wood is like a fingerprint, there a one off, unique.

Mine is a Axminster M950 woodturning lathe, you can turn a metre between centers. Just looked and there nice looking one on flebay for £150. You can find chisels and other turning tools on flebay also.

I like Axminster tools, good quality, not to pricey and are quick to supply replacement parts

I agree 100% APTC are a top company to deal with. I've spent a small fortune there,.

My current lathe is an old Wadkin (all cast iron) that I've had uprated to 240 volt 3 phase motor and inverter drive controller for full speed and run down control (also rotation). And Yes I do mean 240 volt 3 phase motor.... it is fantastic.

Solid machine and modern electronics combined..... I highly recommend this combo to anyone.

I'm not looking to market or sell them online, it's a hobby i'm happy to sell them for little profit, just enough to carry on making them. Last year a contractor bought 2 pens off me while i was offshore, a few weeks later i received an email from his boss asking for photos, and prices, i was quite excited. He ordered 100 pens from me for corporate gifts. At first it felt great, but then when i got home i spent the next 3 weeks making pens, i was in my shed all day, my back and shoulders hurt like hell, and i made mistakes, as i was on a deadline, so they went in the bin. If i'm not happy with the finished product it gets binned. I have several hobbies, and now have a new one, shooting clays. I love woodturning, but when i feel like it. What i like about it is there are no 2 pens the same. Wood is like a fingerprint, there a one off, unique.

Well said that man. I have taken a year out after leaving sixth form, generally i am bright but i never did all that well at school because i naively never saw the value in it at the time, so generally i never went and just went shooting instead...idiot. Anyway took a year out this year and tried to be self reliant off my wood working, making custom airgun stocks.. enthusiastic up until Christmas but with a full order books and the weather getting colder, and my social life being me and my tools for weeks. It lost its appeal some what. On a commercial level you are constantly at the mercy of wood supply in your area, where will your next wood come from, how much will it cost, will i have to put my price up..can i find a bit of wood suited to a certain design..some things are best left as hobbys... before all the fun in them is lost.

If any of you fellow wood workers would like some lumps of walnut 3 years dried in my garage..

2 or 3 big lumps about the size of your leg 6/7 inch diameter and 4 ft long maybe..

Free to someone who wants to collect must be before Friday tho or there getting left in the wood store for the new person buying my house..

Near the Trafford center in Manchester..

Drop me a pm.

Edited by Archie-fox

Cheers mate. There are some real pricey ones on there.

Ebays a good place to buy a lathe and tools.

I was lucky with mine, a guy bought it brand new, he didn't have a workshop so he set it up in his conservatory. After a very short time his wife said it was the lathe or me, the dust and shaving said it all.

I picked it up for half the price, and his wife helped load it into my car

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've just bought a pen and cufflinks off Dave as a present for my son, they are both beautiful! I'm over the moon with them. Hopefully Dave can put a picture on of the pen to show you all (I'm technically challenged in that dept.)

Thanks again

Tom