DSC1

Pedro

Did my DSC1 at the weekend in Hockworthy, Devon.

It was a BDS run course and I can't praise the instructors, Paul Messenger and Tony Whitaker, highly enough, top blokes!

If you get a chance, go on one of these courses, highly informative and good fun.

P.

I was massively against doing it, based on cost, time and my anti establishment stance on being forced into formal qualifications for something I do for enjoyment.

HOWEVER, deer have vanished from my permission and to gain more land to shoot over, or to get accompanied stalking, a level of competence needs to be demonstrated.

This course fitted the bill perfectly.

I doubt I'll do DSC2 , but you never know, to get stalking in certain parts of the country, that's mandatory too now!

Do it.

P.

The DSC1 is frowned upon by some as being another way of the money being squeezed from our pockets but many seem to enjoy the courses and learn a lot from it. It may not be a legal obligation before going out and shooting deer but my force would not let me have a 243 until I'd done the course and many other forces require it as well. More and more land owners are requesting the qualification as well, organisations like Natural England won't let you shoot on their land without it. If you want to apply for a Forestry commission tender then you will need your DSC2 and you won't be able to start that until you have the DSC1. You will not walk away with your DSC1 certificate and be an experienced stalker as the road is long but you will have some knowledge of the law, ballistics and the deer you intend to hunt.( you will be surprised by the so called experienced stalkers on the courses that can't pass the basic accuracy test and tell the six species of deer apart.).

Its great to hear reports of how much people have enjoyed and learnt from the DMQ courses.

Not much paperwork, multi choice exams and if you struggle with reading etc, there's ways round it.

Redgum,

( you will be surprised by the so called experienced stalkers on the courses that can't pass the basic accuracy test and tell the six species of deer apart.)

Bang on!

P.

I have been shooting for over 43 years and I really get ****** off when I am told that I should take a test that is going to cost me an arm-and-a-leg, simply to demonstrate what I have been doing for years.

The other thing that really boils me over is when I get a young man, who has been shooting for all of 6 months, tries to tell me that he is more experienced then me because he has a bit of paper to show people.

We had one join our syndicate and because he had his DSC1 he thought he was some sort of demigod, who should be allowed to venture forth and shoot the deer on the land whilst we plebs watched with suitable awe. Twas a great delight to see him set orft with his new rifle and his nicely washed and pressed garments (all washed in a nice biological powder) only to return some 2 hours later complaining that something must have been "Spooking them".

Yes he was a competent shot, and yes he knew what he was supposed to do. But he just didn't understand deer, and thought that they would simply stand still whilst he slowly walked up within shooting distance, on a nice bright spring evening....................all lit-up in an ultraviolet glow.

I had this argument many years ago and predicted that it would eventually get to the stage where land-owners wouldn't allow anyone to shoot deer unless they had a DSC,and that is sadly becoming true. My other argument was that the shooting organisations were only too keen to promote these courses, because at several hundred ££££s a pop, they were a very nice money spinner for them.

Not going to get into that, but suffice it to say, once a shooting organisation starts to promote a course, it's only a matter of time before the police demand that that course be taken before a rifle is granted..........and then it's all a case of back-peddling by those same organisations to get the police to stop demanding these restrictions.

It may not be a legal obligation before going out and shooting deer but my force would not let me have a 243 until I'd done the course and many other forces require it as well. More and more land owners are requesting the qualification as well, organisations like Natural England won't let you shoot on their land without it. If you want to apply for a Forestry commission tender then you will need your DSC2 and you won't be able to start that until you have the DSC1.

G.M.

I have been shooting for over 43 years and I really get ****** off when I am told that I should take a test that is going to cost me an arm-and-a-leg, simply to demonstrate what I have been doing for years.

The other thing that really boils me over is when I get a young man, who has been shooting for all of 6 months, tries to tell me that he is more experienced then me because he has a bit of paper to show people.

We had one join our syndicate and because he had his DSC1 he thought he was some sort of demigod, who should be allowed to venture forth and shoot the deer on the land whilst we plebs watched with suitable awe. Twas a great delight to see him set orft with his new rifle and his nicely washed and pressed garments (all washed in a nice biological powder) only to return some 2 hours later complaining that something must have been "Spooking them".

Yes he was a competent shot, and yes he knew what he was supposed to do. But he just didn't understand deer, and thought that they would simply stand still whilst he slowly walked up within shooting distance, on a nice bright spring evening....................all lit-up in an ultraviolet glow.

I had this argument many years ago and predicted that it would eventually get to the stage where land-owners wouldn't allow anyone to shoot deer unless they had a DSC,and that is sadly becoming true. My other argument was that the shooting organisations were only too keen to promote these courses, because at several hundred ££££s a pop, they were a very nice money spinner for them.

Not going to get into that, but suffice it to say, once a shooting organisation starts to promote a course, it's only a matter of time before the police demand that that course be taken before a rifle is granted..........and then it's all a case of back-peddling by those same organisations to get the police to stop demanding these restrictions.

G.M.

Yes I totally agree with all of this. OK I dont want to see uneducated clods out wounding a noble beast with a pea shooter and I can understand the political ammo it gives to the antis but our so called organisations are doing no favours to the shooters that pay their wages by shooting us in the foot. I can remember being told by a feo in the past that I had to be a member of BDS if I wanted a deer cal rifle.

G.M.

Understand how you feel this way GM and its pretty obvious to most of us that someone with a DSC1 does not necessarily have years of experienced like yourself. I have been shooting for forty years but mostly shotguns until the last few and the one thing that pi$$e$ me off is the number of 'experienced stalkers' that make up their own rules with totally no regard to deer laws. You could say that laws are for the guidance of men and the abeyance of fools but I have seen so many 'old timers' shoot deer out of season and take ludicrous shots at running deer. This is not saying that experience doesn't count, of course there is no replacement for that but isn't it best that when one starts out on his journey he is pointed in the correct direction rather than just making it up as he goes along. Things change and more people than ever are taking up deer stalking ( and almost as many will give it up after realising the hard work and patience involved) than ever, mainly due to the fact deer populations are wide spread so there needs to be some sort of training, the DSC1 isn't enough in my book.

Deer Stalking Pre-DSC1 course - £125

Deer Stalking Certificate DSC1 - £290

The Intermediate Deer Course (the one between DSC1 & DSC2) - £290

Deer Stalking Certificate DSC2; £300 - £600 (depending on who screws you).

Firearms Awareness Course (and even this will become compulsory if we aren't careful) - £125

And on and on it goes, with our shooting organisations telling us that we NEED to do these courses.......and the police telling us that unless we do these courses we can't have a rifle. After all our own shooting organisations are pushing for us to do them aren't they.

As for shooting running deer......a sure-fire recipe for disaster and a gut-shot deer, and yes I was at a shoot only in March in which someone who had just gone through his DSC2 was boasting about being able to shoot a running deer at 300yds ...............WHAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I stopped listening and walked off because I couldn't stand the ******* any more. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

G.M.

I have been stalking deer for more than 50 years and have never taken any recognised course and I never will . But I was mentored by one of the most prolific big game hunters of his time . I was not allowed out on my own until I had accompanied my mentor for several stalks and I had to prove to him that I could shoot .All my early years stalking was done with a .303 SMLE with open sights .

Harnser.

Firearms Awareness Course (and even this will become compulsory if we aren't careful) - £125

And on and on it goes, with our shooting organisations telling us that we NEED to do these courses.......and the police telling us that unless we do these courses we can't have a rifle. After all our own shooting organisations are pushing for us to do them aren't they.

As for shooting running deer......a sure-fire recipe for disaster and a gut-shot deer, and yes I was at a shoot only in March in which someone who had just gone through his DSC2 was boasting about being able to shoot a running deer at 300yds ...............WHAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I stopped listening and walked off because I couldn't stand the ******* any more. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

G.M.

do you think that in the future you will have to take some kind of test to own a rifle, will the powers that be use a cut of date from which folk who already have a f/a cert. will be exempt. but any new owners will have to pass as in the way the gov. did with the driven licence and trailer towing rules.

The police and government have repeatedly altered the right to own firearms over the years . They are always moving the goalposts and making it more difficult for anybody to apply for a ticket and putting more and more restrictions on applicants ,with more and more hoops to jump through . The worst offender is the chief constables association of Great Britain ,these people have to much say in what happens in the making of the laws and the rules of this country . These people would have all guns banned .

Harnser

G.M.

There is no need to pay for a pre DSC1 course, you don't even need a mate to help you through it as PW members will give you as much advice as you need. If your experienced then why would you want to do the pre courses anyway. Yes you will have to pay for the DSC1 but £290 for a three days course, if you fail any of the modules you can take them again for nowt and in the long run it will put you in good stead in this risk assessment society we live in. Why would you need a pre 2 course, the whole idea is to gain experience and then be tested on what you have gained. The DSC2 costs £90, obviously it you have no deer to stalk then you will have to pay for that privilege which would have to do anyway. Accredited witnesses mostly do it for the love of it. Things change, we never used have to wear crash helmets or seat belts and there was no speed limit on the motorway. There are more FAC holders on this island than ever, when I grew up the only people who had guns were the ones that were literally brought up with them in the countryside environment, or the wealthy that could afford a nice break in the highlands to put something over the fire place. It ain't like it used to be and I think in many cases the need to get further DMQ's is to get some stalking rather than being tested on what you have thus driving the need for all these extra courses.

I believe it a good way to educate new stalkers but it's not the only way.

Should these courses be compulsory no.

Should there be a safety course before you can own a shotgun or firearm until last week I would have said no, but lard week a guy came to buy a shotgun off me, he did know how to open an OU. I refused to sell him a gun until I'd given him a free safety and shooting lesson on the clay range.

I believe it a good way to educate new stalkers but it's not the only way.

Should these courses be compulsory no.

Should there be a safety course before you can own a shotgun or firearm until last week I would have said no, but lard week a guy came to buy a shotgun off me, he did know how to open an OU. I refused to sell him a gun until I'd given him a free safety and shooting lesson on the clay range.

and that just about sums it up, people are wanting to shoot deer yet they have never even handled an air rifle.