Red labradour

rwade545

Hi,

Finally convinced the misses to allow us to get our first dog together. I've always grown up with golden labs bitches, or German Shepards. She has had dog black labs in her family.

Were were planning on a black lab dog, but having recently seen a red lab and she loved the look of them. Anyone have any experience on temprament and how easy they are to train as my golden labs in past have been very keen to please and train.

I know they are less common and fetch a premium, but it might be a compromise with the lady in charge.

Thanks

Yellow labs, Black labs, red Labs, no good dog is the wrong colour.

The same dog will be different in different peoples hands

Get the colour your mrs likes and you cant go wrong.... as you can blame her if it goes wrong :rolleyes:

Good luck with your new pup when you get it. :good:

Edited by Actionpigeons

My brother has a fox red lab, from working lines although he does not shoot.

Its a beautiful big dog that he has got an it's about 20 months old. although a bit excitable (as it's still young) he has trained it really easily. Usual stuff but the dog is so obedient at his command that it puts my lurchers to shame (as they basically do what they like until I raise my voice).

Good around the house and with his two lads (8 and 13).

I would say no different to any other working lab. I would ensure that what ever dog you get, if you intend to work it or not, it comes from working lines as (in my opinion) they are more naturally receptive to training & commands etc. If the dog wants to work for you (whether it be play or field) it will be easier to reward and therefore train.

Jeff

Edit :- My brothers came without papers and was therefore cheaper. After seeing both parents and photos of grandparents my brother thought that this didn't matter. His last pedigree dog died at 12 months of a seizure... In my opinions the paper means nothing... If the breeder can prove good lines and seems sincere this is more important.

Edited by jeffjjack

My boy never sit's still, even at the grand old age of 6 he still thinks his 1.

The wife could have left him in a field till the age of 1 but he calmed down after that (well not that much).

He's never going to be a peg dog as I use him on the beating line, got a good nose on him & most of the time does as his told.

Only thing I've never been able to stop him doing is when he see's something he wants he won't stop.

I'm sure that's my fault but I can live with that, I just have to be one step ahead of him.

Most of the one's I've seen are a bit more fiery than most other colours but I love him to bits, unlike the wife's goldie.

Edited by landy george

Damned fine at boat propulsion too. :lol:

My boy never sit's still, even at the grand old age of 6 he still thinks his 1.

The wife could have left him in a field till the age of 1 but he calmed down after that (well not that much).

He's never going to be a peg dog as I use him on the beating line, got a good nose on him & most of the time does as his told.

Only thing I've never been able to stop him doing is when he see's something he wants he won't stop.

I'm sure that's my fault but I can live with that, I just have to be one step ahead of him.

Most of the one's I've seen are a bit more fiery than most other colours but I love him to bits, unlike the wife's goldie.

I would never pay more for a certain colour of dog. The people that charge more are ripping people off. But you can bet that the same people never breed for money only the love of the breed. And if you believe that you will believe anything.

Correct, there's a lot of rubbish been bred for colour & $$$$.

I don't think colour really matters a mate of mine has a 2 black 1 yellow and 1 red lab all are very good in the right hands it's more of a personal thing with colour as you are going to live with it for the next 10 years or so it's best to get what you or more importantly what your other half chooses

Yellow labs, Black labs, red Labs, no good dog is the wrong colour.

The same dog will be different in different peoples hands

Get the colour your mrs likes and you cant go wrong.... as you can blame her if it goes wrong :rolleyes:

Good luck with your new pup when you get it. :good:

Like he says

I would never pay more for a certain colour of dog. The people that charge more are ripping people off. But you can bet that the same people never breed for money only the love of the breed. And if you believe that you will believe anything.

Yup!

Correct, there's a lot of rubbish been bred for colour & $$$$.

Correct. And i would say 99% of litters bred fall into that category. I heard recently of one guy choosing a stud dog because of the colours the dog throws !!!!!. But those new kitchens/holidays/4 x 4 don't pay for themselves. Edited by cocker boy