Oak /Chestnut trees

steve_b_wales

Spoke to my dad, seeds are just starting to drop, I'll be up there this weekend so will get a bag full

Anyone else want some?

Yes please - will pay for postage & packing happily - we are a part of the UK! Just found a surviving elm with some seedlings around it but new stock would be fantastic.......

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to my dad, seeds are just starting to drop, I'll be up there this weekend so will get a bag full

Anyone else want some?

Fantastic, I'll update once I've collected!

Hi Paul. I would love a couple of seeds if possible and would be happy to pay for the postage.

Regards

Steve.

Try contacting The Woodland Trust and see if they're interested in them.If you plan on continuing this tradition i bet they would be very interested as a long term venture.

Planting trees is like starting your own legacy or in your case your sons.Nice thing to do Steve.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/

I did ask them, about a year ago, and they said 'No'!

EDIT: I have just contacted them again and they said that they could'nt collect them. I could however, plant 'my' trees when they have sessions a few times a year, providing that 'my' trees meet their specification!

Great idea.

I don't have any room at the moment, but I hope to get somewhere with land in the next year or two. If you're still doing this then, I'd be happy to take some from you - I'm also not too far away, so could possibly sort out collection / relay...

I hope that I will be able to continue the tradition, and will be able to help grow many more trees. You would be welcome to a few to replant on your land.

Steve.

Sorry but I'm robbing this idea .

As a joiner I appreciate things like a wonderful plank of timber and how long it takes to grow . I also think about if the tree had eyes what it would of seen .

A lot of our oak is German or French and 100 years old so have been through both world wars and survived .

I made an oak door for a customer with a bullet head stuck in the bottom rail :) and some iroko doors with the shine of a bullet head in the middle panel.

As my kids are 7&4 I hope if I ever go through your pains I'll have memories of good times too.

When my sister died we planted a cherry tree which we call a Kelly tree :) and 16 years on it's getting big

Edited by team tractor

I sent an email to the Woodland Trust (Wales) asking them if they would like some of my Oak / Chestnut trees. The reply was that they could not accept my trees, as there was no proof that the seeds came from the UK, although the person replying said that he did not disbelieve me. The trust has to prove that all trees grown came from British seeds!

do you have to freeze the seeds 1st to germinate them….

When I've planted acorn and chestnut 'seeds' I just put them in wet soil and made sure the soil remained wet, but not waterlogged. Chestnuts were the hardest to grow for me, and only 3 out of 10 started to sprout. Acorns are the easiest, I found.

do you have to freeze the seeds 1st to germinate them….

vernalisation chilling and stratification depends on species, a good series of books to do with trees and general practical conservation is the BTCV series they are inexpensive and simple to understand

note paul223 has probably a more straight forward answer although the books are worth a look

I think it would be a great idea if many of the PW members could try and grow at least one tree, and hopefully get it planted somewhere. Just think how many we could produce between us.

Maybe the tree could be planted in memory of a loved one.

Steve.

sounds like a plan, lets crack on

Edited by islandgun

I sent an email to the Woodland Trust (Wales) asking them if they would like some of my Oak / Chestnut trees. The reply was that they could not accept my trees, as there was no proof that the seeds came from the UK, although the person replying said that he did not disbelieve me. The trust has to prove that all trees grown came from British seeds!

I thought that would be there answer... Although, Ive planted approx 100,000 trees for the woodland trust in the past,a large proportion were from Germany...I planted oak and ash from Germany at loddiswell in devon in 2002, upward of 30,000... 75% of the oak failed...I think for this reason they need to get trees from recognised sources so they have some sort of recourse if they fail...local farmers will always have a space for trees,as will schools..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well,out of more than 40 Elm seeds planted a few weeks ago, so far, 6 have come through the soil, and are now about 1.5 inches high. I am still pleased though, as I have never tried growing Elm trees.

I would advise anyone to give this a go. Oak trees are the easiest to grow,followed by chestnut.

Well,out of more than 40 Elm seeds planted a few weeks ago, so far, only 6 have come through the soil, and are now about 1.5 inches high. I am still pleased though, as I have never tried growing Elm trees.

I would advise anyone to give this a go. Oak trees are the easiest to grow,followed by chestnut.

I'd heard growing elm from seed was very difficult so good news that yours have sprouted. I need to plant some chestnut this winter. Going to cut down some gorse to make room. Hoping the soil is well nitrogenated as they do fix if

I have always planted the seeds into pots, and leave them grow for about a year. Then I transplant them into bigger pots and leave them grow for another year or two, before planting them into the ground. That way, the tree produces some good strong roots. To date, I have grown upwards of 450 trees,mainly Oak and Chestnut.

Well,out of more than 40 Elm seeds planted a few weeks ago, so far, only 6 have come through the soil, and are now about 1.5 inches high. I am still pleased though, as I have never tried growing Elm trees.

It's still early yet. More will probably come through by the end of the summer. And some of them may not come up until next year.

Steve,

I am not sure if this is practical but is there any way of setting up a relay type system? I would love to take one and plant it in a quiet part of Lincolnshire where it would be able to grow without risk. If anyone can collect one from you and take it a distance away to someone else who takes it a distance,,,, you with me?

If we could do that we could plant little Oaks in your sons memory all over the UK.

Just a thought. :)

We used to do this on a diving forum I was a member of,YD (Yorkshire Divers)Post,some very big equipment got shifted by members,sometime it took months

Basically it started with

Pidgeon Post Glamorgan to lincs

Any body help?

People would post up where they were shooting and who with and see what happens.

We had stuff go from the south to Scapa Flow with on party and come back to Manchester because that's the way the chain worked that time

I go from west yorks to lincs/Cambridge regularly

Steve sorry for your loss, what a great thing to do in the memory of your son.

I hope all goes well getting the trees sorted out, we have a small tree in our garden a small elm it only about 4-5ft but going strong I can remember a school planting over 500 small saplings and there goimg very strong.

Atb SW