Tips for job interview

chady

Thanks guys it's appreciated

And thanks mike.

It's a major house builder.

90% of the workforce is on the books very rare do they use outside contractors.

But all trades are on price work.

The job title is cost and bonus surveyor.

Now I did my apprentership with them. Then went of subbing for years. Then ran jobs on the commercial sector. And then ran my own bussiness (trust me that's the short version)!

So I not going in blind totally but got no formal qualifications.

Thanks ditchman it's not realy that kinda of job as it's manly making sure people are paid right. At the determined rate all ready agreed.

I've been in them jobs before and hated them..

Edited by chady

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks like it a lot :) might just save a few bad points if there are any..

You'd like a salary increase as you believe you add value to their business but will base your decision on the full package - salary, role, team, company, possibilities for the future and not just a number.

Best question I ever heard...

Thanks for your time, I appreciate you meeting me and would like to ask if there's anything we've discussed that would give you reservations about offering me this role?

Gives a chance to resolve any concerns.

Wear a suit,make sure you wear a sober tie(do not go without a tie) and please please polish your shoes,if you are sitting in front of a panel they will look you up and down all the time,dirty shoes tell a lot about a person,it is about attention to detail.

And don't be a lazy idiot like my mate who went for a very well paid job which he should have walked into,but he was lazy and ironed the front of his shirt and only the front,it was a hot day, they invited him to take his jacket off,he sat there for 50 mins looking like a twerp in his crumpled un ironed shirt.the job,quality control for a large linen company.

I think the rest has been covered comprehensibly by others.

There is some good advice in this thread, and listen to FM, he's in the biz.

My advice would be, do not, under any circumstances, get your cock out "as an icebreaker."

It rarely works, and I say that with many years experiences in that field.

Of HR that is, not getting my cock out at inopportune moments.

Thanks do you work in HR then?

Is there something your not telling us about getting your cock out lol

Yea I know mike knows his stuff for a fact.

Some of his posts are very interesting to read.

( shame about his posts on the national though lol give up on them lol)

There is some good advice in this thread, and listen to FM, he's in the biz.

My advice would be, do not, under any circumstances, get your cock out "as an icebreaker."

It rarely works, and I say that with many years experiences in that field.

Of HR that is, not getting my cock out at inopportune moments.

Be honest, if you don't know the answer to a question don't bull**** it, if it's a technical question and you know where you'd go to find the answer tell them how you'd get the answer,.

Be friendly and keen, fitting in with the team of people you'll be working with is half the battle!

Good luck.

Nial.

Thanks fair and good point.

Jamie

Be honest, if you don't know the answer to a question don't ******** it, if it's a technical question and you know where you'd go to find the answer tell them how you'd get the answer,.

Be friendly and keen, fitting in with the team of people you'll be working with is half the battle!

Good luck.

Nial.

The other thing going round my head is.

Salary - excellent salary package available (or something like that)

So I know what is coming!!

What's salary would you expect?

Now I know I'm not the only one to be interview

So don't want to out price my self but all so don't want to undercut my self?

How do you deal with the above question?

Thanks jamie

Don't discuss money at the interview (unless they bring it up 1st), wait until you have the offer, then the balance changes slightly in your favour as they want you to work for them.

Also don't be afraid to say you don't know the answer to a question. Better to be honest than blag it,

Best of luck

Edited by Bradders

Don't tell the interviewer he is talking rubbish, even if he is. I did this the other week and he was though I decided I didn't want to join them first.

You ask how do you sell yourself? Well not in the way most try to (by talking endlessly about themselves) people like people who take an interest in them and get quickly turned off by those who speak of themselves so don't unless specifically asked to, rather ask them and take an interest / listen carefully to their answers they will tell you more than they say with the responses.

Ties? depends on your age and other clothes but those days are behind us now I feel a lot depends on who is doing the interviewing a lot of those in the 60+ age group will wear one at the slightest excuse and resent others not doing so. Remember you can dress down but you cant dress up so its no bad thing to go in one and gauge the situation

I always wear a suit and tie to an interview, even been to an interview in an office on a Friday years a go and they had dress down Friday, however I still felt proud and smart.

Where I work now, the director asked me in for an after work informal chat and drink for my 2nd meeting - and told me I didn't need to be suited and booted. Instead I wore a nice pair of trousers, shoes and shirt with blazer and made sure I looked smart. No harm in dressing smart in my opinion.

I was conducting interviews a while back with a colleague, and we had some odd ones - one bloke turned up wearing black skinny jeans and a white polo shirt with the buttons done up to the top and a very girly cardy and fashion trainers... it's not like we were being picky on the clothes they were, but it certainly doesn't give us much hope putting them in front of clients on their own if they don't know how do dress for business.

One of the 1st things i looked for when interviewing was if they had clean hands and nails. Very high hygeine standards in some pharma companies dont you know!! Sometimes its small attention to detail that speaks more about a person than the answers they give while nervous.

Too true.

Our MD has a thing about shoes - says that if you can't check your shoes are clean before an interview, what hopes are there for employment haha. Bit eccentric, but I see his point. I check everything before an interview.

Alas, different jobs warrant different people though :-).

Thanks yes I like waring suits any way so will be going suited up with tie as I get a proud feeling and do feel good waring one.

And thanks for all the help I'm going to read through them again and make notes over the weekend

also, at the end thank them. One other thing, it is always good to say to them that you are very excited about the opportunity and that you are still interested in the role and look forward to working with them should you be successful.

Its good to know, as an interviewer that the candidate still wants the job at the end of the interview.

Thanks another good point!!

also, at the end thank them. One other thing, it is always good to say to them that you are very excited about the opportunity and that you are still interested in the role and look forward to working with them should you be successful.

Its good to know, as an interviewer that the candidate still wants the job at the end of the interview.

I don't agree with that with respect..I've interviewed plenty of potential young surveyors for Construction jobs over the years...The money side will be dictated by the market place. The OP shouldn't get too hung up on the salary element as it will be competitive for the position on offer.

Far better for the OP to suggest that he doesn't think final negotiation of terms would be an impediment to his accepting an offer in principle. Lets get him on the pitch first and then he can score some goals. :good:

fair point ...you have seen it from a different side to me.........................on the "by" i have been to and interveiw before now and spent 80% of the time talking about flyfishing....and i got the job....then we strutted across green park for pink gins and back to the old bond steet office for another chat....had a couple of beers on the way home on the train ...when i got in i was totally slaughtered and had to ring up the next morning to check that i had indeed got the job

and that IS a true story

the good old days eh !

fair point ...you have seen it from a different side to me.........................on the "by" i have been to and interveiw before now and spent 80% of the time talking about flyfishing....and i got the job....then we strutted across green park for pink gins and back to the old bond steet office for another chat....had a couple of beers on the way home on the train ...when i got in i was totally slaughtered and had to ring up the next morning to check that i had indeed got the job

and that IS a true story

the good old days eh !

:lol: Good old days indeed. I had an interview for my first proper job and the interviewer was more nervous than me...he spent 40 minutes asking me all sorts of irrelevant questions whilst drawing on a chain of Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes.

At the end of it he asked me if I had any questions to which I cheekily replied..."when do I start" to which he replied "Monday morning ok"...I went into the building industry knowing nothing and stayed with that same company for 25 years.

I have interviewed a fair view candidates in that time and to me first impressions count for a lot. :yes:

What are 3 best impressions you have had?

And what are the worst 3? You have had while interviewing?

:lol: Good old days indeed. I had an interview for my first proper job and the interviewer was more nervous than me...he spent 40 minutes asking me all sorts of irrelevant questions whilst drawing on a chain of Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes.

At the end of it he asked me if I had any questions to which I cheekily replied..."when do I start" to which he replied "Monday morning ok"...I went into the building industry knowing nothing and stayed with that same company for 25 years.

I have interviewed a fair view candidates in that time and to me first impressions count for a lot. :yes:

What are 3 best impressions you have had?

And what are the worst 3? You have had while interviewing?

Best.

1. Tidy appearance, clean shaven and a sensible hair cut.

2. Pleasant persona..... a smile with eye contact is very important and is a natural way of greeting a fellow human and goes a long way with me. The interviewer will often appreciate you are nervous and will take that into consideration.

3. Take the lead when greeting...offer your hand first and make sure the handshake is firm and not like a limp lettuce leaf.

Worst

1. Some young Turk came in in a shiny suit once a real cocky jack the lad and smelled like the aftershave counter at Marks. He was more concerned in his appearance than getting the job...needless to say he didn't.

2. Another guy came swinging in and sat straight down before I asked him to and then loosened his tie. He thought it was a forgone conclusion....it was... his 45 minute interview lasted 15 minutes.

3. I had a serial ********ter once also...and I mean pathologically so.. If you cannot answer the question truthfully, say you don't the answer truthfully....interviewers will respect that rather than being fed ********.

Be yourself and good luck.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

That's a very valid point and one which often gets overlooked.

Guest cookoff013

i once had an interviewer start crying infront of me. it was nice of the company to contact me after i left, he was getting the help he needed.