Breeding my lab

rich1985

Had my lab bitch mated on her 11th 12th and 13th day of her season, tied on 12th and 13th days for bout 30 mins so fingers crossed the deed is done!! Do I need to change her diet during pregnancy?? Also does any one know if a human pregnancy test works on a dog? Was going to test her in a couple weeks. Any advise great fully received! Thanks rich.

Don't you think you should have researched first? Hopefully you had the health checks done and haven't gone into this completely blind.

Questions wise feed normally for the moment and up it a bit after a month, also look at worming. No idea pregnancy test wise never even thought of trying it with mine

Your first question should of been, is my bitch worth breeding from, second have I found the best dog for the bitch, and then done a little research in to breeding dogs.

​Asking the question after the event is a little backwards don't you think.

I normally mate a bitch every other day when she is flagging (putting her tail right over) this allows the dogs sperm count to build up.

If you want to know if she is in pup have her scanned at 4 or 5 week or just wait she should show at 6 or 7 weeks.

feed normally up to the last week or so.

All a bit cart before the horse.

Edited by Actionpigeons

as above cart horse, too many people say got a great dog would like to breed from it, it may be a good dog because the previous breeder did some home work and health checks on the two dogs they were putting together. save your money on scans etc if she has taken she has the scan will not alter this,use the money on good quality puppy food and things that will count.

We did research a lot, just hear so many different things. Looked at several dogs we dint just pick the first 1 we found!! about 10 people said pregnancy test would work and 5 said it wouldn't! Pregnancy test was main thing I wanted an answer to, I had heard/ read so many different things. Thanks

We did research a lot, just hear so many different things. Looked at several dogs we dint just pick the first 1 we found!! about 10 people said pregnancy test would work and 5 said it wouldn't! Pregnancy test was main thing I wanted an answer to, I had heard/ read so many different things. Thanks

Have you had her eyes hips and elbows done

Geordie

Yes she has been vet 4 check up befor we had her mated. Like I have said we did research. Just wanted bit of advise as heard so many different things. Had a lot of attitude not too much advice tho. Thanks

I think he meant hip & elbow bva scored + eye tested by bva.

Don't think I've honestly ever met 10 morons in my entire life....

Yes she has been vet 4 check up befor we had her mated. Like I have said we did research. Just wanted bit of advise as heard so many different things. Had a lot of attitude not too much advice tho. Thanks

you might get the odd helpful person in this section but most will try to dissect what you've said and slate you. There is loads of stuff on breeding dogs on the Internet or even better ask somone who you know who actually knows what there talking about rather than the negative people in this section. All I can say about the feeding of your bitch is make sure she looks good and healthy , if she looks like shes dropping weight up her food to bring her back . Good luck . Edited by jayDT10