Electrician advise wanted please! Red hot fuse?

johnnythefox70

Need a bit of advise please. Ive got a shower and have replaced the blown fuse twice in just a few months (thought it was **** fuses i was using) so today got a better brand of fuse put it in the fuse box and after 10 mins use of the shower the smoke alarm went off and a burning smell was evident from the fuse box. Not knowing a great deal about electrics I've took the cover off the shower and power switch in the bathroom and doesn't smell, took the new fuse out of the fusebox and its red hot. Anyone know whats up here? Many thanks to anyone for any help.

The showers been in for 10 years and have bought one of those bath/shower/jacuzzi steamer thingy me jiggys so the old shower would have come in handy till the new bath was installed. The shower is an old un its a Gainsborough energy 2000x. Just checked the fuse holder and has 30amp stamped on it so a bit reluctant to put a bigger one in, its coming out soon so will only need it for a week and don't want to spend loads of money on it cos its getting ripped out.

That looks like a 10.8 kw shower !!!

That should be 10mm cable and a 50A breaker required.... DO NOT USE!

Get a proper electrician round pronto.... Better to smell alive than not dead...

Edited by HDAV

ive just looked up that shower and spec says its 9.5 kw which will draw approx 39 amps so fuse it too small but as already said don't up the fuse until you have checked cable, and length of run of the cable.

with out seeing job and having full info its hard to to guess whats happin but i come across this a lot, users have old 7kw shower with 4- 6mm cable , shower packs up so they replace it with newer one 9kw and upwards, this is very bad DONT USE UR SHOWER!

Also if fuse is getting that hot then it might have damaged connections in fuse box too, that would need to be checked, sounds as though you have old system if you are still on fuses new installs have rcd protective devices for high risk areas such as bath/ shower areas

9.5 kw showers 10mm twin and earth cable , 45amp dp switch, 45amp mcb ( if your main box is a split board type with in built rcd main switch) if not split board use a 45amp rbco

Edited by djgeoff