can Barrels be Powdercoated

evo

just a little thought, but a few years ago I got my kawazaki z900 frame stripped and powdercoated and it came back as new,

you could bang the frame with a hammer and it would not chip , the paint was solid,

can you or has anybody ever powdercoated their barrels instead of getting them blued, or would the heat affect the powdercoating at all,

its just an idea that popped into my head because I have noticed people spraying them

thanks for any replies

atb Evo

I sprayed an old air rifle barrel with stone chip paint a few years ago, just to see if it would work. The paint was solid and offered protection to the barrel. It did'nt look very good though, but as it was an old barrel, I did'nt mind. I'm not sure if heat would affect the powder coating, but we are not talking about high temperatures.

I think the powder coating process uses heat to melt or bake the coating onto the bare metal so unless your barrels are getting stupidly hot I would have thought it could work fine although it will increase the 'size' of the rifle by at least a couple of mm, probably more, so it may not fit back into the stock as well. There is also parkerizing to consider - very hard wearing matt black finish and it won't increase the dimensions at all.

The most popular firearms coating is Cerakote, I use it all the time but have allways shied away from doing shotguns because it has to be baked on, and I am not sure the solderd joints for the rib, and between the barrles would take it!! It is not mm thick, it is microns, and is tuff as tuff can be,

I think the heat used to cure powder coating is about 200C. So it should not cause problems with any soldering or brazing but it's at your risk . But as Falcon points out it is thick old stuff. Do you want to loose details such as Proof Marks, Serial Numbers and any fine finish on the Rib (if it has one). How easy is it to read the frame number on your Z900 (nice bike by the way!) now that it is powder coated instead of painted?

Plus a powder coater will usually want to sand blast metal prior to applying the powder coat, so if it didn't work out and had to be removed, you'd be left with a very rough surface and lost metal bringing it back to smooth in addition to the abrasion of the blasting.

Tom

Edited by TriBsa

I have never removed proof marks or writing on a rifle by sand blasting prior to painting, provided they are stamped or engraved that is no problem. lazed numbers on the other hand will dissapear...........but they would with a reblue too., and no it is not thick stuff.

just a little thought, but a few years ago I got my kawazaki z900 frame stripped and powdercoated and it came back as new,

you could bang the frame with a hammer and it would not chip , the paint was solid,

can you or has anybody ever powdercoated their barrels instead of getting them blued, or would the heat affect the powdercoating at all,

its just an idea that popped into my head because I have noticed people spraying them

thanks for any replies

atb Evo

Looks like you can as wabbitbosher has/had a gun on here that appeared to be powder coated

HAd my U2 done a few months ago. Cerakote. worked very well. Graphite black. Barrle and breach with super slick coating on the bolt slide and inside the breach. very happy withthe finish. they have even worked out a 'Blued' colour. you can air cure with cerakote as well. just takes a fair while to dry

I have had two shotgun barrels powder coated, one was a side by side the other a pump. Both guns were cheapo knock about guns. I got the pump from a salmon farm for £10, it was so rusty that the slide was stuck open and a cartridge couldn't fit in the chamber but after I cleaned it up it became my rough/fowling gun for 2-3 seasons. The powder coating lasted fine and the dull matt black didn't give off any glare. I did notice on the pump that to end up with the coating was wearing a bit at the muzzle but other than that it did fine and I had no trouble with the solder on the side by side.

I do powder coating for a job ... Yes it can be painted but bear in mind the curing process takes 12-15 mins at 180*c ... Pm me if you want a hand

M1

Ceracoat is 2 hours @180c for the oven cure.

I have 4oz black and hardener here that i never used. i only used the graphite black. 4oz will do around 4 rifles. i someone is after he 4oz i have then £34

also have 4oz of the micro slick air cure as well. same price for that.