Another phone call tonight

tonker

I was sitting having a bite to eat when the chicken farmer phoned again, he said he and his son were standing in the hay field I had one in last night, being watched by another with a limp.

I said i'd be there in half an hour and try my luck! When I got there it had obviously gone but they said it didn't take too much notice of them and was limping badly, so I set myself up the tower again, with the caller out in the hay. I guessed which direction it would come from and set myself for a long wait.

I couldn't have been more wrong, as I became aware of a commotion behind me, I turned to see a Fox in very poor condition with a chickens tail feathers in it's mouth dissapear behind the building.

If you can imagine my tower built on the gable end of a building and the fox going down the side you'll know what i mean.

Swore at myself for not being more observant and stood up and waited in hope.

Now I never advocate shooting freehand at a running target. but stood on top of a 12ft tower, and another five foot to the gun it was an extremely safe downward shot.

A very short time later the fox came running back into view with a chicken in it's mouth, it was limping badly but still moving surprisingly fast. I tried my luck as it was only about 25 yards away.

The chicken dropped out of its mouth, still just alive. and the fox kept running into the hedge. I thought ****** it I missed. I climbed down to see how bad the chicken was, thinking I'd have to wring it's neck and to my surprise it got up and headed back to the pophole, I don't know if it will make it or not.

It was then I saw all the blood and lung tissue and knew I hadn't missed after all.

,The hunt was then on to find it an make sure it was dead. A thicker hedge over a ditch I've never seen impenitrable Blackthorn, Brambles and stingers.

I found a blood trail into the hedge, so I knew where it went in, it took an hour to find it and the best bit of twenty minutes to get it out, A more sorry specimen I haven't seen for a long time. It had been hit by a car in the past I think, as the side of its face was distorted, but healed and I think the limp was a healed broken leg. It clearly couldn't hunt and was suffering from lack of food as you can see in the picture.

This one needed shooting as it was slowly dying. My shot had hit low and taken the lungs out how it kept going I don't know. 50 grn homeload V-Max

post-64160-0-54013900-1402699658_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Steve

Edited by tonker

Good job in getting it - from everybody's perspective. Running foxes are difficult. I have only shot 1 running and it was quartering away and a relatively easy shot, even at 150 yds. I'd never have had a chance without my lamping partner who was very good at his job.

Well done indeed, bet the farmer thinks you are the business! One phone call and you are there sorting it who could ask for better. Keep at them.

Atb

Ade

Ade, I don't know if he thinks I'm the biz or not, I try my best, but rest assured if i didn't make the effort somebody else would.

Shooting permission is hard enough to get, so when I have some I try and look after it. :yes:

Thanks guys, for all the comments. I really enjoy trying to outwit a wild animal on there own turf as it were (don't normaly succeed)

But I was always told, drummed into me in fact. If you pull the trigger, give your Quarry/target the respect it deserves, and make sure it's dead.

If others don't they didn't ought to shoot, don't mean to sound holier than though, but I feel very strongly on this. :)

Well done again.

What's your rifle/scope set-up?

bullet boy, the rifle a is Krico 620 Mannlicher,with set trigger .222 rem. I like this but not good for in a vehicle, a bit long

and the scope is an old bog standard Bushnell 3-9x40 and an Atec Mod. Basic but good enough.

when dark i use a deben max clipped on the top and red filter.

I have a NV set up on my 17 hmr but prefer the .222

Edited by tonker