20g hushpower

Guest cookoff013

900 feet per second. That's awful and exactly why I produce my own.

+1

i kinda liked to tinker with loafs, the first thing i noticed was the full patterns out of every choke. i then started reloading #4s as reading a data table comparing a #6 at 1400fps and 1000fps #4, at 40 yards the #4 has more energy still. so would still be the minimum requirement. patterns do matter but its giving very dense patterns even with the fibre wads.

there is no point in shooting something with small shot if the shot doesnt have any energy to get to the target and through fur / feathers....

half the people thesedays are really scared about shooting anything above a 6. i gave a guy some #4s to try (on rabbits) and he is still concerned about blowing himself up. (they were factory shells).

if you were to buy a lee loadall 12ga, for £50, buy vectan AS, fibre wads, and some 4 shot, you could load for £180-200, if you get 1000 shells out of the loader thats like the break even point, that and you get to use #4s that and in 70mm for ejecting from a pumpster.

i just checked that 280/k for hushpower shells.

you litterally could buy a new reloader every 1000 shells, most homeloads hover around the £200/k. this is by far unique, and merely because the AS is cheap and you dont use much of it.

my reloads cost me more because i use new cases, brand new unused primers, clean and new powder thats not been used, unfired fibre wads, and pretty decent lead.

these prices i quote are from most retailers and are accessable to everyone.

I have a Hushpower 20ga O/U and use Gamebore (Super Competition) Hushpower cartridges, they are 30gms No5, fibre wad.

I do not know what the f.p.s is, but they are not noticeably that slow.

Most of what I am shooting is within 35 yards and I am killing things cleanly.

The real heartbreak is the price, £290 per 1000.

Got the 20 hushpower mossberg pump action 3 shot. Shoot 1000s upon 1000s of cartridges through it a year and I've used all manner of cartridges and the very best ones to use for quietness and kill ability are eley hi flyer 28grams of 5 shot. Full stop!!

I suppose its a difficult ask for all guns as the bleed off must be considered you want what 1050 fps at the muzzle, but barrel length and bleed off will play its part differently gun to gun. Ideally the shell should be supersonic capable in an unported std gun?

Guest cookoff013

I'm looking forward to trying one of Cookoff's subsonic loads, the Eley's I have aren't great. Maybe they will even cycle my A400, which would be a bonus.

Sub's and autos are a bad combo.

You know if need be, you can do 36 / 42g subsonics?

As speed is slow, they jam a benelli inertia. They can also jam up a gas auto. Just because the way I design them, small charges of fast powders.

My latest subsonics use a tiny charge of powder. I was told the consistency is good and is clean.

Guest cookoff013

I suppose its a difficult ask for all guns as the bleed off must be considered you want what 1050 fps at the muzzle, but barrel length and bleed off will play its part differently gun to gun. Ideally the shell should be supersonic capable in an unported std gun?

Good point, my sub's are subsonic in a proof barrel, not sported jobbie.so speeds will be different.

I have a Hushpower 20ga O/U and use Gamebore (Super Competition) Hushpower cartridges, they are 30gms No5, fibre wad.

I do not know what the f.p.s is, but they are not noticeably that slow.

Most of what I am shooting is within 35 yards and I am killing things cleanly.

The real heartbreak is the price, £290 per 1000.

that's what I,m using at the moment in my mossbergh maverick husher, they don,t appear to be slow and they do kill cleanly when you actually hit them, I,m still green with the gun need more practice with it,does get annoying missing birds I know would be dead on the ground with my miroku 12g currently looking for a standard 20g barrel to convert it to a normal shotgun when the huspower isn,t needed

I had a Mossberg pump 20ga Hushpower for a short while and then bought the 20ga O/U Hushpower.

Some time with a pattern plate and a cheapo bore sighter for the Bay of E, soon cleared up the "point of aim" difference the moderator makes.

That difference was very evident on the Mossberg pump, but not so much on the O/U .

I had a Mossberg pump 20ga Hushpower for a short while and then bought the 20ga O/U Hushpower.

Some time with a pattern plate and a cheapo bore sighter for the Bay of E, soon cleared up the "point of aim" difference the moderator makes.

That difference was very evident on the Mossberg pump, but not so much on the O/U .

I did exactly the opposite got rid of the investarm 20g o/u and got the pump, the investarm did shoot low about a foot at 30 yards when I patterned it but the pump seems to shoot just below centre at same distance