Beretta 301,302,303 and 391Urika.

chacotawas

Hi folks,

Once again looking to take advantage of your knowledge and experience. I'm toying with the idea of buying an inexpensive semi-auto. From what I hear Beretta is the way to go, so I've been hunting the Web for one. I'm seeing the above four models and I'm not sure if there's any serious difference between them. For example, do they get better from the 301 up to the 303? If so, how? Is the Urika a significant improvement on the 303? If so, in what way/s? They seem to vary considerably in price. You even get 301s or 302s dearer than Urikas, and Urikas vary between about £450 and £1100. I'm thinking I should be looking for a good condition Urika for about £500. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had a 303, and now have a 391.

Very different feel, my lad loved the 303, but frankly the 391 is a world different as far as I'm concerned.

Much better feel/fit/movement, but the 303 is a very respected model!

Not used the others!

Edited by Dekers

I have had the 301, 302 and 2x 391,s (an Extrema barreled Urika 2 and my present Urika two) The 302 has the drop-in chokes with a screw-on nut to hold them if. I remember corectly. I found it a bit distracting. Can't recall much about the 301 except that it performed well as did the others.

The 391's are far better IMHO, as Dekers said, different feel and, to be honest, a different shooting experience.

I would actually part with mine, for the right money, as I'm wanting to go to a complete 20 bore set-up as in O/U, SbS and auto in same gauge.

GH

Thanks, gentlemen. That's helpful. I'm being offered an A391 Urika for £450 but it's got some light pitting. Also offered an A301 for £230. I'm comparing these with a Remington 11-87 with perfect barrel at £325. Bit of a quandary. I'm working on it! (A Urika 2 would be very likely more than I should pay to dip my toe in the semi- auto water).

I've had,

302x2 + 1in 20 bore

303x2

I found my first 303 the best of the lot

Wasn't struck on the 390 (couldn't hit a barn door)

Found the 391 Ulrika (synthetic) quite heavy

The one I would have avoided out of them all was the 301, just too fiddly unloading wise

For your budget I would go for the 391 (wooden stock)

Also had a Fabarm euro lion that I despised as it was SO unreliable

:shaun:

personaly I think that the 301/2/3 are good guns but fetch too much money for what you are really getting.get a 391,with no pitting and you will have a good gun,i had a 303 and it was nice ,old school,and I paid 300,I have a franchi that I gave 100 and it's no different.

Thanks, guys. This is all very useful.

Retromic, that was another I was thinking about- a Franchi Raptor. I'm getting the impression that Franchis are under-rated but that there are some models that kick like mules. Am I right in thinking that the Raptor version isn't like that? (I hope I'm not making this thread too rambling). Franchis seem to be a lot cheaper than, say, Berettas. Which Franchi do you have, may I ask?

I had a Raptor,it was a late version and it was a peach,it's a gas operated gun and worth buying if you can get one for under £500,my present Franchi is years old(30 years??) and at £100 it never jams will take 21 grn and i shot 21/25 skeet last week with it,My point was don't over pay for a 301/2/3 as their are other guns in that "age" bracket that are just as good for next to no money,a well priced late Beretta or Franchi ,or any late auto is worth having over a 25 year old(no parts available)auto for the same money

Thanks, WW, do you mean AL48? Or is it Alcione? I thought the Alcione was an o/u, but maybe not. I'll look it up. But I'm guessing you mean AL48- on reflection,I think the Alciones are a lot dearer than £200. I wonder what the difference is between the Hunter and the AL48. I got the impression that at least one of them was a bit of a shoulder-buster. I guess that's the result of the combination of a recoil system and a gun that doesn't weigh much. I'll look into that too.

Not wishing to put anyone down here but it seems that this has gone the usual way in that each gun mentioned is the best or better according to one or the other of us.

Its inevitable in a way as not all guns feel or shoot well for everyone and we tend to buy the one that feels/shoots for us. Then, like me, chop it in for something else if it doesn't meet our expectations.

What I'm trying to say is that the only way to be sure which on to buy is try them all(and good luck with that, I think). I think the OP has to try the ones he's been offered at least.

Make a choice and start somewhere because, sure as eggs is eggs, it won't be the only auto he buys!!

The best of luck anyhow.

GH

I've had a301 from new 34 years, I still use it now and again, it has the drop in chokes with a screw on cap. I've had a 391 and couldn't get on with it. Have a look at the Benelli's also owned by Beretta. Looking at prices for 301's etc. they are worth more now than when new.

Thanks folks. That was helpful. I think those are wise words, Greenhunter! I'm going to keep a watch on PW for offerings from Mr Bosher and Mr. Flazz. I'm also going to keep a close eye on an upmarket gun maker within driving distance who has the odd A30- Beretta at very reasonable prices. I'll go for the first to come up- the first decent A301- A391 or the first Franchi AL48/Hunter in my price range.