"Cheap" Shotgun Maintenance Costs

joecash

You have to give a modern O/U a lot of use or abuse to need new "hinge pins" As to strikers ,Berettas seem less prone to needing replacements than the Miroku/Browning's particularly the bottom one and if memory serves me right Beretta strikers are cheaper than Miroku . On the other hand Beretta main springs come as a unit with the spring guide at 4 times the cost of Miroku springs . All in all not a lot of difference all told . Costs the same to strip and clean as its all down to time and most of us work on average time/price for work like this unless there is exceptional amount of muck/rust and fouling to get rid off .

They are cheap in parts and easy to work on (beretta) Miroku parts can be more expensive but incredibly reliable, know fault with bottom barrel but not expensive or difficult to sort in fact my 525 was showing the symptoms (light strikes) but 5 mins in the hands of a pro and all good no parts needed.

Edited by HDAV

I have 2 Berettas;

1970's S57EL - apart from stock work (remove varnish, slim hand and re-chequer, alter cast and drop) - no spares or work ever needed in my ownership (since approx 1980)

1990's SO6 - apart from stock work (cast, drop and length fitted) - and some teething troubles (tumbler rubbing wood internally) - no spares or work has ever been needed. Owned from new.

I guess I have put well over 50,000 cartriges through each. Neither is 'loose', though the SO6 (which I had from new) is now beautifully 'free' whereas it was tight when new. The S57 has always been 'free' in my ownership. They have both been exceptionally reliable and I never have any 'issues' with the single trigger on either gun. Both are (I think) well looked after - always cleaned and always lightly greased on the moving parts.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I think ant mainstream gun is going to reliable if looked after. I take my stock off and clean the action every two years with carb cleaner then re oil.

Think when your gun has worn in like Berettas do and become free there is going to be less wear on bearing surfaces as less friction, same with Browning/Miroku they just take a bit longer to slacken off.

It's lack of care and maintenance that kill mechanicals and rust in bores.

Figgy