Never known such a lack of pigeons

Fisherman Mike

It must be lucky in Lincs, as we never seem to see a shortage of birds. I have seen hundreds on rape stubbles in last week, only have to be quick to get in before the plough. At the moment I am trying to get out as much as I can, shooting fields before they cultivate as I know in a week or less all the rape stubbles will be cultivated and there will be a lull before any wheat is cut.

After a poor day on Monday (6 birds) I found a nice rape field in the centre of several flightlines, so was optimistic it would produce some shooting. After watching for a while, the best spot appeared to be halfway along, nowhere near any cover. But there was a dry ditch and I managed quite a nice and cosy little hide in it (see attached pix).

The six birds from Monday were out and almost immediately the birds were in, some swooping over my head from behind but most curling in front into the wind.

Enjoyed some good shooting and missed plenty of easy ones out front, probably not helped by my being at eye level with the ground, but I was pleased with some longish shots behind and to the side of the head, thumping down nicely on the stubble behind me.

Birds always on the move most of the afternoon and hardly a lull, so it was great to be in the action, soon a largish pattern was out in front. Another gun was shooting somewhere in the near distance so that certainly helped keeping birds on the move.

I even managed four with two shots, when a group swooped in together, along with a few left and rights.

By 7pm it had slowed right down and I was ready for home, a pick up (a few young birds too) and pack up, and I was home by 8pm. Birds to the game dealer this morning and another 500 cartridges in the car ready for another outing.

Happy days!

post-25219-0-65537800-1407411416_thumb.jpgpost-25219-0-10956300-1407411427_thumb.jpg

At the moment the birds are there in my area, but scattered across hundreds of acres of wheat stubbles (waiting for the baler), feed peas and beans (yet to be harvested), spring wheat and rape, also waiting for the combine and recently cut hay fields.

They are dizzy for choice.

I am shooting and moving about 4-5 times a day.

Some birds I cleaned late last week were full of small berries and what seemed to be leaf shoots.

At the moment the birds are there in my area, but scattered across hundreds of acres of wheat stubbles (waiting for the baler), feed peas and beans (yet to be harvested), spring wheat and rape, also waiting for the combine and recently cut hay fields.

They are dizzy for choice.

I am shooting and moving about 4-5 times a day.

Some birds I cleaned late last week were full of small berries and what seemed to be leaf shoots.

which part of kent are you in Cranfield?

I'm in north lincs, nothing on the peas and very very little (10 birds) on over 300 acres of cut barley.

In between the dog walkers and horse riders who "didn't realise" I gave up, went home and opened a bottle. About 30 in the trees in the bottom of my garden, might shoot them instead.

Gents,

Shooting over cut rape, yesterday, just south of Bristol , hopeless, same as last year, numbers have still not recovered from the harsh winters of 3-4 years ago, normally bags of 80-100 expected but just not the numbers about, maybe with the mild winter things will improve in the long run, the seemingly bumper cereal crops in the area have put so much food about birds can just drop down and get what they want without too much effort, bags seem to be very good in the odd spot but nothing consistent.