Bridge Camera

Aaz

Gents, looking to buy a new camera and rather than have the hassle of DSLR and carrying different lenses etc thought that the bridge camera will fulfill my needs. The camera will be used for fast and slow speed shots and general family/holiday pics.

Any of you guys have this camera, just wondered what your thoughts and experiences are?

Thanks

Very little to choose between the 2 types in reality-if you buy either with a wide zoom then its pretty much down to personal choice-the dslr will have more versatility by design but if you dont want to get into photography then the bridge camera is more than adequate-the fujifilm ones are brilliant. My daughter took her exams using one and had no problems.

Personally, i'd go for a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Best of both worlds. Small, DSLR quality photos, and you can change lenses.

Best deal (for price/features) going now IMHO is the Canon EOS-M @ 199 pounds

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2583178.htm

I think they are running stocks down in preparation for a new model hence the price - but you are getting the same sensor as in a DSLR (APS-C). The only drawback here is it is apparently slow to focus compared to a DSLR - but unless you are doing action or sport - not a big issue - this should be resolved in the next iteration of this camera - but expect to pay 3-4x more than this price when it is released.

If you want to spend more now, look at the Fuji/Nikon/Sony mirrorless cameras - all excellent. Choice is very much a matter of which cabal you belong to.

Edited by aris

Personally, i'd go for a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Best of both worlds. Small, DSLR quality photos, and you can change lenses.

Best deal (for price/features) going now IMHO is the Canon EOS-M @ 199 pounds

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2583178.htm

I think they are running stocks down in preparation for a new model hence the price - but you are getting the same sensor as in a DSLR (APS-C). The only drawback here is it is apparently slow to focus compared to a DSLR - but unless you are doing action or sport - not a big issue - this should be resolved in the next iteration of this camera - but expect to pay 3-4x more than this price when it is released.

If you want to spend more now, look at the Fuji/Nikon/Sony mirrorless cameras - all excellent. Choice is very much a matter of which cabal you belong to.

Agreed...I have a Samsung NX300 and it is fantastic

Had a good play with all the cameras and despite the changing lens issue that I first had concerns about, I'm actually thinking it may well be the best way going forward. The CSC cameras are much smaller than the DSLR's which is now leading me to the Lumix GF6 - the lens prices are mental mind so may need guidance with lens choice if this is the route I decide.

Still loads to think/read about but the more I read, the more confusing it is

The camera would be used on occasion, for fast action sport.

Not looked at mirrorless cameras, that's now confused me again, just when I thought I'd sussed it lol

Then do not buy a bridge camera, the delay between pressing the shutter button and the picture being taken will drive you mad!

For fast action sports photography you will need a DSLR and suitable lens.

Oh and if you go for a DSLR with changeable lenses be aware that you will need to keep them scrupulously clean!!!!

Good luck

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Then do not buy a bridge camera, the delay between pressing the shutter button and the picture being taken will drive you mad!

For fast action sports photography you will need a DSLR and suitable lens.

Which is exactly why I went down the DSLR route again.

What fast action sport are we talking about here, and how close can you get to the action?

Edited by poontang

DSLR's aren't as bulky or hard to carry.

If you carry it like a tourist, then yeah, it'll be a pain. The strap is designed so you put it over your shoulder with the SLR facing inwards, the lens will point to the floor and sit comfortably against your body

This picture isn't a great example, as the strap is far too long, but you'll get the gist.

How-to-safely-carry-DSLR.jpg

Edited by Billy.

DSLR's aren't as bulky or hard to carry.

If you carry it like a tourist, then yeah, it'll be a pain. The strap is designed so you put it over your shoulder with the SLR facing inwards, the lens will point to the floor and sit comfortably against your body

This picture isn't a great example, as the strap is far too long, but you'll get the gist.

How-to-safely-carry-DSLR.jpg

My camera with the grip and 24-70L is 2kg. I tend to keep it in my hand most of the time - plus the backpack with the rest of the gear - gets tedious over the day.

Best camera is the one you have with you.

Need some pointers here please gents, I'm getting very bewildered with all the options available but so far I have narrowed my search down to:

Lumix GF6

Olympus PEN e-pl5

Anyone have any experiences of these 2?

Not a fan of Sony or Samsung tbh, no particular reason other than personal choice.

I have followed this thread since it started.

For a while now I have been after something more than an iPhone / Auto camera but didn't want to carry around a full SLR. Having a few chats with aris (via pm, thank you) and following his suggestion on a Canon EOS M, I decided to treat myself to an early birthday present. I have had it out last night and tonight and lets just say I am bamboozled with the features, but by setting it in full auto mode I have taken a few photos, with a couple below. I am sure they will not be good enough for experienced amateurs / pros but I am delighted so far.

IMG_0078_zps3df9850b.jpg

IMG_0069_zps9c75836a.jpg

IMG_0058_zps84597fb3.jpg

IMG_0049_zpsd393655e.jpg

IMG_0038_zps77ae3c17.jpg

Edited by markm