What food and drink have you giving up?

Boromir

Since October last year I have decided to change my diet, but didnt want to change all in one go.

First to go off the list was any alcoholic drinks and fizzy drinks. Then I switched from white bread to Wholemeal bread then it was Whole milk to semi-skimmed milk, but the hardest part for me was Chocolates I had a slight addiction if I eat one bar I would have to have the rest of the multipack. Luckily though I did manage to stop buying chocolate two months ago. Anyway that was the luxury foods, for my main meals I do not have any fatty foods like chips/wedges, pies etc. I now mainly have boiled sweet potato, chicken, lean beef, turkey stakes, salmon/tuna, broccoli stuff like that.

There is a motive for all this change though and thats because I go to the gym and started to get fit. The enjoyment and the endorphins that is released during workouts has made me think what **** I was eating in the past. Even if I stop going to the gym I now know whats foods to eat and what to avoid.

Have any of you had a major change in your diet?

Becoming diabetic,

Thankfully I have always loved veg,

been on semi skimmed for years, full fat in tea/coffee tastes wrong now,

I'm the same as you chocolate wise, not so much multipacks, but if I opened a box of chocolates I had to eat the whole layer, then I could leave the next layer till I had another craving, but its alway dark chocolate, darker the better

Same with biscuits, cant have them in the house, will do a full packet with a cuppa

Virtually stopped drinking years ago, bet I dont have 4-5 pints a year these days, still have a sneaky port/sloe gin though

cut out a lot of pies and pasties as the pastry started to give me heartburn,

Best meal I could never do without though is a Sunday roast......

:shaun:

I was a coke addict :)

Coca cola i might add,last year i went over to diet coke, but was unhappy with the possible harm sweeteners may cause so three weeks ago i stopped drinking it,now it is ice cold soda water with a splash of rose's lime cordial.

Gave up the fried breakfasts, used to have one pretty much every day at work. All the time I was working as a chippy on site grafting it was not a problem as I used to burn it off. Had a career change, retrained and am now a commercial heating engineer. The work is a lot more easy going and I really noticed how I was packing the weight on.

Not a big drinker so I'm not giving that up, I enjoy my odd pint of ale and drop of malt,cognac,port sloe gin I'll stop there :lol: I just eat a healthy diet with some of what you like. As for semi skimmed milk just no it's either milk as it comes from the cow or no milk for me, don't have a lot anyway. I do have a sweet tooth. Never been a pasty or pie fan, will eat the odd one but very rarely. Love fish so eat a good bit of that. Never been a big fan of chips, when I do have them real chunky deep fried ones.

Agree on the bread, some white just bloats out your tummy. Nutty seeded granary is nice.

If we ate the food we did as kids we would all be healthier. That's if you grew up before the nineties.

As for a full on gym body diet no thanks had my fill when younger, growing older has to have some benefits.

Think the biggest change I made over the last five years is I will have real butter not wagon grease that's allegedly healthier, all the stuff they at one time or another said don't eat its bad for you,balls it's natural food.

Figgy

Gave up alcohol many years ago. I too stuffed myself with sweeties when I did. A 1lb pack of licqourice allsorts would last ten minutes. Much more balanced now.

Since I packed up smoking as well then I also gave up sugar in tea & coffee.

Only eat wholemeal bread, Soya and Linseed is my favourite.

The biggest drop in Cholesterol happened when I switched to skimmed milk. That really did make a difference and I don't take Statins.

All things in moderation says I.

I gave up alcohol tail end of last year. Hadn't really been enjoying it for a while and was only drinking it out of habit more than anything. I can honestly say that I don't really miss it and there was a time where I thought I'd never say that.

My diet was generally pretty good before then as well but decided to step it up a gear when giving up the drink. We've never had ready made meals as Mrs H & I always make dinner from scratch. From the start of this year I have ditched taking sandwiches as the bread always bloated me out too much and would be farting my head from mid afternoon until in to the evening. I try to follow what's called 'The Paleo Diet' for most of the time (about 80%). It's meant to resemble a hunter gatherer style of eating and is based on the following - eat grass fed meat and wild caught fish, fresh vegetables, some fruit (not too much because of the fructose), nuts, seeds and no sugar. You get your carbs from the veggies mainly.

Mrs H has a bit of hard time getting her head around it (hence the 20% where I don't follow it) but since I read The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolfe, it makes perfect sense to me. Grains are a serious contender for giving you diabetes as they are mainly carbohydrates. Too much carbs leads to... that's right, diabetes. It's a little more involved than that but that's the crux of it.

I still have the odd treat but this is the difference. A lot of folk consider eating ice cream or chocolate or whatever else is loaded with god knows what as part of their diet but I don't. And it really is down to self control.

A typical day's food for me is as follows -

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs and an avocado and 50ml of apple juice (absolutely no cereal), or if we're going to the café then I'll have a bacon and black pudding omelette with a side of fresh grilled tomatoes. Black tea with either.

Mid morning will generally be a hemp protein shake (tasted like cold pea soup which I kinda like)

Packed lunch - Big bowl of chilli salad with pork or chicken, 6 or 7 cherry toms, 5 radishes, 2 sticks of celery, 2 - 3 pieces of fruit (I'll try to vary the fruit as much as possible but will try to include berries of one sort or another), pepperami, small bag of crisps, I'll generally graze on my lunch box through the day rather than tuck in in one go.

After gym I'll have an all in one protein shake

Dinner will usually be something freshly cooked - Mrs H's curry, pasta and meatballs or spag bol, steamed chicken and fresh veg, flash fried liver with mash and onion gravy, fish on Friday, etc. I'll usually have some dried coconut flakes with a handful of almonds to finish off.

That's about it. Coupled with Crossfit, I'm back in to a 34" waist jeans (never thought that would happen) and I don't miss any of the old eating habits I used to have.

Edited by Doc Holliday

i have changed what i eat dramatically recently as in out went chic,cheese,pies,cakes,fried food, beer,anything takeaway, anything over the size of a side plate, anything fizzy,anything sugary, any meat over the size of two sausages and so on and so on and i am down 4stone 9lbs in 16 weeks.........since losing the weight i now have a problem with my hip as it is painful because of the weight loss i am standing,walking,sitting and laying different as to before..... i am now off all medication for high blood pressure and anti inflammatory for sore shoulders...... i swim 5 times a week and although i have another 5 stone to lose i feel fantastic

oh nearly forgot, i've had 3/4 of my stomach removed by laposcopic gastrectomy lol

Gave up alcohol many years ago. I too stuffed myself with sweeties when I did. A 1lb pack of licqourice allsorts would last ten minutes. Much more balanced now.

Since I packed up smoking as well then I also gave up sugar in tea & coffee.

Only eat wholemeal bread, Soya and Linseed is my favourite.

The biggest drop in Cholesterol happened when I switched to skimmed milk. That really did make a difference and I don't take Statins.

All things in moderation says I.

This is getting funnier talking about dieting coming from person with the name KFC :lol:

:lol::lol:

Even funnier because if you knew me you would know I am the biggest atheist out there.:lol:

:lol: pure class Welsh!