whats the best time to lamp

reedbradshaw

It really does depend on the individual shoot. Do they get disturbed at certain time etc. I've always worked on dusk as this is the first real opportunity they get to eat after sleeping all day. But have equally had just as good midnight sesions. For me, early mornings don't seem to be as productive.

If you have a peice of land that you havent shot over at night before, then my advice would be to go out maybe 2 or 3 nights at various times and just observe.

That way you can see what your intended quarry gets up to at certain times etc. This also gives you a valuable oportunity to hone ur fieldcraft and stalking skills.

For example, I know that there are 2 warrens of rabbits where I shoot, right now at about 5.30pm a single rabbit from one warren ventures over (very cautiously) to the other warren, then theres nothing until about 7.00 - 7.30pm when its playtime for everybody including me!

I know this because I have spent several hours without my rifle just watching and learning the habits of everything that frequents my shoot.

It really does help ur fieldcraft, late december last year I was all camo'd up laying in some underbrush just observing and a fox walked past my head so close I could have touched him! he was totally oblivious to my presence.

It is really advisable that you dont take your rifle with you when out to observe etc. the temptation to take an opportunistic shot that your not prepared for might be too great and could ruin future hunts etc, also its easier to practise stalking without the extra luggage. :)

great post^^^

I find it best when it is quite windy. I think this helps you to get close enough for a shot (and obviously you want to be shooting upwind!) also when the moon is covered with clouds as it is darker. this is when I have had best results so far. I must admit Im quite new to lamping though!!

night time obviously but does it matter whether its 7 pm or 3 am ? etc

cheers Reed

One consideration is the type of land you shoot over should there be possible dog walkers and anyone out for a last stroll before turning in, far less people about the later you go out, should it be windy, as someone mentioned, use this to your advantage. D2D :)

Have always found that after a bit of rain to be very productive under the lamp, for coney anyway.

TP

When its wet I find they will sit a lot more than when its dry, backs up the general observation that they don't like getting their bellies wet :good:

QUOTE- whats the best time to lamp

in the dark :yes::no:

:good:

Best to Lamp when it's LIGHT as you can save you battery :good:

About an hour after sunset normally of an hour or so before sunrise.

A lot of people have dimmers fitted to the Lamps so the light is less intrusive and less likely to spook the rabbits.

If you have someone there doing the lamping for you don't put the rabbit in the centre of the beam but right on the outside edge.

I used to go lamping with a Shurefire torch attatched to my Logun S-16 and it was a perfect combo out to 35 yards :good:

Just enough light not over powering and it lit under the hedgerows perfect :good:

LG

In the rain (Not torrential :good: )on a windy night are usually my most productive bags .Short grass like a golf course though .they don't like long wet grass .Each piece of land can behave differently though .

There is a school of thought that the longer you leave your night time excursion the better has the Rabbit will move further and further away from it's burrow with the idea being that you position yourself between the two .The rabbit panics and freezes has it don't know where to run because there is a 1 million candle watt lamp in the way :good:

At Dusk or a hour after dark you might find that they stick nearer to the edge of fields and when spooked dive straight for cover ........something that happens alot when the land becomes lamp shy .

No moon, pitch black, blowing a gale.You can gaurantee they wont have been disturbed cos you will be the only idiot out in that weather :good:

ha ha ha , well im off out tonight ( just checking the window ) its very cloudy, the moon is only a slither but looks a bit misty due to the coulds, there is a small breeze but thats about it to be honest. hopefully ill bag something though except a cold! ill let you know how i get on :good: