Midland Game Fair

andypaint

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the numbers going reduce substantially then nothing will change,

I went years ago and enjoyed the day out

I used to go to the CLA until it stopped coming to Harewood (Back next year), I now have mobility issues and can't walk for any great length of time so that may stop me going next year.

I also used to really enjoy Lowther show, until that stopped, but that has also restarted and supposed to be better than it was.

As I said until footfall drops the organisers won't do anything.

Shame really

:shaun:

I too went to the Midland with a couple of mates

Loads of food stalls,one stall selling perfume,another offering teeth whitening service.

Would like to see it go back to its grass roots but it will not happen because it is all about money.

As long as Ian Hartford is making money he will look at it as a success.

Our gang of three will not be going again till it improves

One plus point,there was a lot more police about this time or is this a minus point as they were not needed so much years ago.

IAN HARTFORD if you read the posts on pigeon watch please give us our M.G.F.back the way it was.

(Full Gunmakers Row) would be a start.It is starting to look like a car boot sale,i like car boots but not at £20 a time

A Sad A.R.P. :sad1::sad1::sad1:

I too went to the Midland with a couple of mates

Loads of food stalls,one stall selling perfume,another offering teeth whitening service.

Would like to see it go back to its grass roots but it will not happen because it is all about money.

As long as Ian Hartford is making money he will look at it as a success.

Our gang of three will not be going again till it improves

One plus point,there was a lot more police about this time or is this a minus point as they were not needed so much years ago.

IAN HARTFORD if you read the posts on pigeon watch please give us our M.G.F.back the way it was.

(Full Gunmakers Row) would be a start.It is starting to look like a car boot sale,i like car boots but not at £20 a time

A Sad A.R.P. :sad1::sad1::sad1:

What is the connection between Ian and MGF ? I think I am missing something....

Spent a day and a half at the MGF. Gunmakers row was a massive disappointment. So was £11.50 for a breakfast roll and a coffee! Norman Clarke was, as usual, a waste of stall space. Queued up for 20 mins on Saturday morning. Just as I got to the front, the woman serving walked off and went for a chat to one of the fellas. Then she started helping him out reducing his queue. Eventually I walked off. Went back at 0830 Sunday and spoke to same woman I was first in and they were still taking the covers off. No VMax 204's, no 40gn 223's, no Hornady RN 100gn's,no H322, no H1000. They wanted over £100 for 1000 .22 subs!!!

Got some good bargains on rest of fair. Fly rod for £70 under RRP. Mufflon boots for £100 under RRP. A couple of new gun slips for half the price online. Marsh were selling Deer Hunter clothing cheaper than online and I got a full leather cartridge bag for £40. All in all, bargains more than paid for the trip and the overnight stop.

Parking was excellent this year (weather played its part) and getting in/out was a breeze. Dog scurries and comps were well organised and well attended.

Still a few ****** about, but even more of the psudo-Essex set with tight demins tucked in laceless boots. A good few police, but they were pretty much integrating and chatting to kids etc. Didn't hear any stories of thefts on any of the stalls we used.

A mate on the BDS stand said it was real busy Saturday. I couldn't even get on the stall Sunday!

Used the toilets (near the main house) a couple of times. They were spotless, had sanitiser foam in every time, and had attendants cleaning them constantly.

Overall, a decent show. If gunmakers row had been its normal self, and Norman Clarke had had some competition, it would have been hard to find fault.

Spent a day and a half at the MGF. Gunmakers row was a massive disappointment. So was £11.50 for a breakfast roll and a coffee! Norman Clarke was, as usual, a waste of stall space. Queued up for 20 mins on Saturday morning. Just as I got to the front, the woman serving walked off and went for a chat to one of the fellas. Then she started helping him out reducing his queue. Eventually I walked off. Went back at 0830 Sunday and spoke to same woman I was first in and they were still taking the covers off. No VMax 204's, no 40gn 223's, no Hornady RN 100gn's,no H322, no H1000. They wanted over £100 for 1000 .22 subs!!!

Got some good bargains on rest of fair. Fly rod for £70 under RRP. Mufflon boots for £100 under RRP. A couple of new gun slips for half the price online. Marsh were selling Deer Hunter clothing cheaper than online and I got a full leather cartridge bag for £40. All in all, bargains more than paid for the trip and the overnight stop.

Parking was excellent this year (weather played its part) and getting in/out was a breeze. Dog scurries and comps were well organised and well attended.

Still a few ****** about, but even more of the psudo-Essex set with tight demins tucked in laceless boots. A good few police, but they were pretty much integrating and chatting to kids etc. Didn't hear any stories of thefts on any of the stalls we used.

A mate on the BDS stand said it was real busy Saturday. I couldn't even get on the stall Sunday!

Used the toilets (near the main house) a couple of times. They were spotless, had sanitiser foam in every time, and had attendants cleaning them constantly.

Overall, a decent show. If gunmakers row had been its normal self, and Norman Clarke had had some competition, it would have been hard to find fault.

Sorry to say thefts did take place .... From I believe a few stands ..... to towing away large equipment.

Sorry to say thefts did take place .... From I believe a few stands ..... to towing away large equipment.

Went to the Promatic stand they had a three trap array mounted on a trailer stolen - £ 13,000 worth, brand new and stolen from the clay shooting area overnight. If you get offered one - report it.

I cannot imagine it would be an easy thing to sell in a limited market place

Promatic will get that back,but the MGF is now tarnished with over inflated sadmission prices,A massive loss of traders due to rising pitch costs and the unimaginable

the public are now very disgruntled at a poor show in comparable with previous years

Theft has always been an issue no matter were you are in the world,But now that it has occurred to promatic the organisers might wake up

Edited by huntsman

I hope the days of such shows are not over. My family and I have enjoyed them for 25 years. Theft is a huge problem and combating it a bigger one , pitch prices and entrance fee's may be an easier one to start with? I don't know as I have no idea on the costs envolved to host such an event but for most families it is getting a very expensive day out.

Could I ask everyone who is disappointed to please email Ian Harford at Countryman Fairs and register your discontent.

You can always contact us by Telephone on 01889 563232 or write to us at:

Countryman Fairs Limited
Hunters Croft
Upwoods Road
Doveridge
Derbyshire
DE6 5LL

Edited by Salopian

Just goes to show that people's perception is driven by who they talk too. Like I said, no reported thefts from the stalls I dealt with.

I feel sorry for those that did get gear stolen. These days, profit margins are slim and a couple of thefts can make the difference between a success and a loss

Personally, the biggest crime I saw was the number of people wearing full camo :lol:

Well I went with the wife on Saturday, she has never been to one before and the week leading up to it she thought it was going to boring and garbage but come 12pm and £200 lighter she was soon enjoying herself, wanting to look at the expensive Purdys and wanting to the World Series Clay Comp on, the different dogs walking around with their owners. Plenty of things for sale and also had a catch up with WabbitBosher (Mick) on the BASC stand and to top it off the weather stayed lovely for us :)