Midland Game Fair

andypaint

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After chatting to a stall holder it costs him £700 for a small pitch for two days plus an extra £180 if he wants electricity as he's not allowed a generator. But only allowed a 1000watts so after tills,card machine and other display equipment he doesn't have enough power to even boil a kettle not that he had enough to start off with.

I have to say that this is precisely why I am not there. The costs are crazy everywhere - and whilst I don't anticipate making a profit from Game Shows, they are very good tools for getting noticed and meeting like-minded people. I shall be at the CLA next year, as the price difference between that and the MGF is negligible, yet the CLA ticks far more boxes for my company and gives me much more exposure. If I'm only going to front up for one of them, it's only going to be the biggest.

Guest topshot_2k

So what has gone wrong as most people l

talk to say it's not as good as it used to be!!!

Lack of gun traders and distributors, not that many events on in arenas, too many stalls selling stuff completely unrelated to shooting/countryside.

They really need to drop the price to traders as at the end of the day that is what makes the show. I think the British shooting show and the CLA improving have killed the midland off unless they can turn it around

Must admit not been at the MGF for years but u could level any off the critism's at pretty much any of the larger game fairs. I used to go up to the scottish fair but very little quality gear there now, all just advantage cammo on almost every stall

The internet has killed them, u no longer need to save ur money to buy stuff at the game fair that wasnae available locally as u can just go online search the whole country for the cheapest price and have it deliveried to ur door for the next day.

In the old days all these stalls would have alll their surpluss/show stock to sell to save storing it all winter and as the MGF as last fair so u could get some good deals, now they can just stick it on the net sell it even cheaper but still making a bigger margin as no stall fees/expenses.

Think thats 1 of the reasons the midland made its name as was always best for a bargin, dunno how u will ever turn it about

Guest topshot_2k

This year was noticeable for lack of traders unlike the CLA, British shooting show etc. The people were there in numbers this weekend the traders were not.

People still like the shows as you can get much better deals than online, I saved £40 alone on a lamping kit and that includes any web prices plus you get see and and handle stuff properly.

Internet is fine for some items but I cant buy a gun online nor can I try on stuff without the hassle of sending it back or haggle for a cash price

Edited by topshot_2k

I went on Saturday and it was mad busy when we arrived, in fact all day. A lot of fishing stuff. Very noisy 'faire' and a rather poor Gunmakers Row. Almost no gamekeeping suppliers, No reloading gear I could find. Sportarm obviously there and Cheshire gunroom selling very many top end guns but some discounted. Fewer scope supplier although Hawke was there. Loads of foodstalls, coffee to burgers, all over the ground. Craft fairs and knife fair tent but didnt really provide the necessary mix to make it good - couldn't find any rifles but .22 and air The company (people) I went with was/were excellent and made the day which otherwise would have been a disappointment. It was bit like a beehive most of the lads made a beeline for the bar with a few 'workers' looking out for goodies.

I think the guys sitting had a better deal !

I think I saw 3 major BASC exhibit tents and I for NOBS, 2 pickup manufacturers (Great Wall and Isuzu) and a few less well known quad and ATV suppliers - great if you wanted your boots waxed and some fairly ratty chickens.

The best for me were the falconry flying displays - sadly not enough to warrant a visit next year, unless its simply for the atmosphere and the beer tent.

Edited by Kes

I can't compare what these shows were like years ago as only started to go to Game Fairs in the last few years.

My take on a Game Fair is a days entertainment for which I pay (in the case of the Midland £20 a head).

I usually take a picnic for the main meal as it is better quality and cheaper than most of the snack stands and I don't count the cost of the picnic as I would be eating at home anyway if I didn't go to the Fair.

Its good to see a few friends and meet people in passing with similiar interests. We enjoyed the 50 bird sporting watching people hit and miss clays. Its a great event for people watching and seeing the different shooting techniques. We had a natter to a lot of folks while OH was waiting to shoot.

Quite a few folks asked about my Tramper as they were amazed how well it can go up steep grassy slopes and it generated interest in those wanting to keep shooting who were not so good on their legs anymore.

We both like to watch dog events and hawks flying and have a nosey round the stands to see what's about and see some of the craft demonstrations.

The 3 things we did buy, we did not save anywhere near the cost of the entry, but we enjoyed looking for them and selecting. We did not go primarily (despite me being a woman) to shop, but I can understand if in the past folks have been able to get stuff at giveaway prices the bargains are not there anymore.

If you just want to shop at these events it probably is a waste of time when you can do shopping from your armchair on the net much cheaper, but the most exciting thing about that is unpacking the parcel when it arrives.

For me the Midland is a whole day out.

The only negative and that is for me personally is being on the Tramper (as I couldn't walk about for 5-6 hours) I need 28 " wide clearance and room to manouver a vehicle of nearly 5ft lengh in the crowds. It means i have to go very slowly were it is busy and wait for gaps in the crowds to get anywhere, but that is not enough to make me want to stay at home.

The last year I will go also.

I have loved going for years and have been going for about 25 years, never missed one and even organised our honeymoon last year to fit around it.

How ever it has been on a down hill since the hunting ban and since countryman fairs took it on.

I bought myself a Night Master Venom Strike which was no different price wise than what they are showing online for and two tins of pellets.

Sadly the Mrs got a good buy on a Joules Jacket she really wanted but when we sat down to eat some scummer stole it from our feet/side,I have never had anything stolen before and this just sealed its for us. We did report it to Joules and the police put we know it was pointless, so £36 to get in, nothing much to see, smaller than ever and £40 sting at the end. Also saw a bloke lose his temper with his spaniel for no reason, he picked the dog up by the scruff and threw it down on its side, if the bloke wasn't so intimidating and bigger than me I would of loved to of given him a piece of my mind, it really made us angry as there's no need to treat a dog like that.

Sad to say it, but it used to be the highlight of year for us......Not any more though, voting with our feet now.

ATB

Matt

The last year I will go also.

I have loved going for years and have been going for about 25 years, never missed one and even organised our honeymoon last year to fit around it.

How ever it has been on a down hill since the hunting ban and since countryman fairs took it on.

I bought myself a Night Master Venom Strike which was no different price wise than what they are showing online for and two tins of pellets.

Sadly the Mrs got a good buy on a Joules Jacket she really wanted but when we sat down to eat some scummer stole it from our feet/side,I have never had anything stolen before and this just sealed its for us. We did report it to Joules and the police put we know it was pointless, so £36 to get in, nothing much to see, smaller than ever and £40 sting at the end. Also saw a bloke lose his temper with his spaniel for no reason, he picked the dog up by the scruff and threw it down on its side, if the bloke wasn't so intimidating and bigger than me I would of loved to of given him a piece of my mind, it really made us angry as there's no need to treat a dog like that.

Sad to say it, but it used to be the highlight of year for us......Not any more though, voting with our feet now.

ATB

Matt

Stole from under your feet, that's bad :no: .

Yes I was there. ...... Agreed lots of dealers not there ....... Why do people have to go down Gun makers row with two or three dogs on long leads? and other folk with bags on their backs about two feet deep blocking the stands. Please excuse me while I take another Blood pressure tablet.

Another point .... No hand cleaner outside toilets. ( Saturday anyway ).