Gun cabinet fitting help!

billytheghillie

well you wont fix much of anything to it if it is plaster and lath, and certainly NOT a gun cabinet..well at least not securely anyway...

find a perimeter wall (for preference) or an internal load bearing wall (but make sure that it is indeed brick of stone, I have seen timber load bearing walls)

try a trial hole to make sure you are getting brick/stone dust...

If it is black powder that is coming out it sounds like it is some type of cinderblock or hollow/concrete block

cinderblock is very soft - and should be treated as thermalite block which requires a rawl plug which has a large screw thread on.

Can you remove the top surface to get at what is underneath the plaster - if so, when you do - use a screw driver and see if you can push it in without much effort.

If you cant - use the concrete bolt.

If when you drill a hole you hit voids you would be best with the resin bolts and resin sheaths - just use the screwfix resin - the sheaths are Fischer and are sold in a qty of something like 50. If the substrate is powdery and soft - Resin would not be a good thing to use.

It is a shame you don't live closer as I could have sorted you out from my stuff.