FAC finally posted!

cpaulc

Well, its taken me a lot of faffing about, but I finally got around to finishing my FAC application and getting it posted.

For those interested, after a lot of thought and debate with others I've asked for a .22lr (+mod) for general pest control and a .243 (+mod) for pest control (fox) and deer.

I've already got SGC, but I'm not holding much hope to see anyone from West Mercia before Christmas. I'll take any bets and let you know.

I'm looking to do the same.... But i seem to do a lot of faffing aswell! West Mercia have been good with me recently... Change of address took 3 days from Les coming to the house and the new license being on the door mat. I asked him about applying for FAC and he said to get it in ASAP, but its up to the people at the office as to how long it will take!

He did also say that having an sgc should speed it up a little bit as all the background check have already been done....

Hope all goes well!

West mercia are fairly quick at the moment. Mine took two weeks for the visit but 5 for the licence to arrive after that. As has been said I know for a fact you won't get a .243 unless its target only as I did. In fact the feo even asked me for experience for a .22lr so have your anecdote about how your Dad used to take you rimfire hunting ready!

Good luck with your application, but I don't think you will be allowed a .243. Most police forces like to see a person get plenty of practice experience with a rim fire caliber first, then they usually allow a .223 or 'maybe' a 22-250. Hopefully, you will get want you asked for.

I got .270 from the start, he should be able to get the same...

Good luck mate!

Good luck with your application, but I don't think you will be allowed a .243. Most police forces like to see a person get plenty of practice experience with a rim fire caliber first, then they usually allow a .223 or 'maybe' a 22-250. Hopefully, you will get want you asked for.

My .243 was a first grant (deer,fox no dsc1).....and a open ticket 14 months later.

Remember.....

(The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

TEH

My .243 was a first grant (deer,fox no dsc1).....and a open ticket 14 months later.

Remember.....

(The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

TEH

Its a question of the FEO and the areas policy, in west Mercia it is currently a requirement for shooting quarry with a centrefire that you have experience ie: dsc1 or a friend who has taken you out signing something to say you're competant. Target shooting at a club is fine though.

Edited by srspower

I'm looking to do the same.... But i seem to do a lot of faffing aswell! West Mercia have been good with me recently... Change of address took 3 days from Les coming to the house and the new license being on the door mat. I asked him about applying for FAC and he said to get it in ASAP, but its up to the people at the office as to how long it will take!

He did also say that having an sgc should speed it up a little bit as all the background check have already been done....

Hope all goes well!

Having a SGC will speed things up!! Wish that was true!! Even though I had SGC, and applied to exactly the same Issuing office with exactly ther same FEO, still took 10 weeks from application to receipt!! Good luck, hope you do better!!

Edited by lloydi73

I got .243 on first app...he was very reluctant and kept talking about High Seats, but if you can demonstrate like I could, the need...i.e. I have deer, foxes etc on my permission and I reminded him of their requirements for min .243 on these animals, then they should sign off......

Its a question of the FEO and the areas policy, in west Mercia it is currently a requirement for shooting quarry with a centrefire that you have experience ie: dsc1 or a friend who has taken you out signing something to say you're competant. Target shooting at a club is fine though.

I looked in the HO guide lines and there was no mention West Mercia's particular policy........

However they are a licencing authority that I must agree.....

Can you post a copy of there policy as it would make interesting reading.

13.25 Although not set out in legislation, common rifle cartridges considered suitable forthe shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available.In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes, they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or 6.5mm (.264) calibre.

TEH

It was the other way around for me Steve. I could have a .243 for first centre fire but not a .22-250 as he reckons it was to much gun for a first centre fire.

I didn't argue the case and said fine but thought to myself he just gave me a bigger caliber rifle then I asked for either by mistake or he just didn't know that .243 was bigger then .22-250.

Either way I was happy and have been with it ever since.

It was the other way around for me Steve. I could have a .243 for first centre fire but not a .22-250 as he reckons it was to much gun for a first centre fire.

I didn't argue the case and said fine but thought to myself he just gave me a bigger caliber rifle then I asked for either by mistake or he just didn't know that .243 was bigger then .22-250.

Either way I was happy and have been with it ever since.

At the risk of getting mauled here, but I'll stick my neck out anyway and wait for the usual onslaught...lol.....Although the .243 is a bigger calibre, the 250 is much faster round and travels further, that was probably the concern!!

At the risk of getting mauled here, but I'll stick my neck out anyway and wait for the usual onslaught...lol.....Although the .243 is a bigger calibre, the 250 is much faster round and travels further, that was probably the co

Yes you are right Lloyd in what you are say bud. But i couldn't see his reasoning as a 55 grain bullet in a ,243 will fly equally as flat an as fast and most prob the same kind of distance as a 22-250 would, just using less powder. I tried to point this out to him and he still insisted that a .243 would be better for me. So i thought well its a more versitle caliber which i can shoot deer as well as fox with. So I didn't argue the point and

let it be at that. I was more then happy as i got it for fox only until i had AOLQ added a while back.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

At the risk of getting mauled here, but I'll stick my neck out anyway and wait for the usual onslaught...lol.....Although the .243 is a bigger calibre, the 250 is much faster round and travels further, that was probably the concern!!

Definitely not a much faster round and the distance the round can travel has absolutely no bearing on the matter (although the differences are so marginal it doesn't matter anyway). A good backstop is what is needed for all calibres. Would you consider taking a shot with a .243 that you wouldn't with a .22-250 because of the differences you mentioned? Not trying to maul you :)

I looked in the HO guide lines and there was no mention West Mercia's particular policy........

However they are a licencing authority that I must agree.....

Can you post a copy of there policy as it would make interesting reading.

13.25 Although not set out in legislation, common rifle cartridges considered suitable forthe shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available.In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes, they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or 6.5mm (.264) calibre.

TEH

I'm just telling you what the FEO who visited me said and to two of my friends recently when they had their visit from the same guy. It is also what the Malvern Firearms unit told me when I rang them chasing up my application as I was concerned they got everything correct, and wanted to know why I hadn't got my ticket yet, as one one friends had to send his FAC back as they had put everything down as 'target only' on his application despite what the FEO had said. He got it sorted and mine was correct thankfully but both of us had our .243's put down as target only at our club despite having appropriate land that had been checked etc for that calibre.

I am well aware that they don't have a legal right to have such a policy given what the law says but that's what happened. The FEO told me that 'many people take photos to show me they had been taken out'. And that is West Mercia, Worcestershire specifically.

Edited by srspower

I'm just telling you what the FEO who visited me said and to two of my friends recently when they had their visit from the same guy. It is also what the Malvern Firearms unit told me when I rang them chasing up my application as I was concerned they got everything correct, and wanted to know why I hadn't got my ticket yet, as one one friends had to send his FAC back as they had put everything down as 'target only' on his application despite what the FEO had said. He got it sorted and mine was correct thankfully but both of us had our .243's put down as target only at our club despite having appropriate land that had been checked etc for that calibre.

I am well aware that they don't have a legal right to have such a policy given what the law says but that's what happened. The FEO told me that 'many people take photos to show me they had been taken out'. And that is West Mercia, Worcestershire specifically.

srspower, on 03 Oct 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:snapback.png

Fact not fiction.....so the policy is only spoken not fact......

TEH

srspower, on 03 Oct 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:snapback.png

Fact not fiction.....so the policy is only spoken not fact......

TEH

Well I tell you what, I'll give you the guys number and you can argue the toss with him if you want? Since you're saying he is a liar.

Edited by srspower